The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 7, 2019, 06:41 PM   #1
KyJim

Thoughts on the new Mossberg MC1 Subcompact?

Mossberg released information on their new MC1sc (subcompact) a few days ago and I am wondering about your thoughts on another pistol in this market.

The gun is virtually the same size as a Gock 43. In an obvious attempt to stand out from a crowded market, the gun comes with both a 6 round and 7 round clear magazine. But, the gun also accepts the Glock 43 mags. Other features of note include a flat trigger and construction which allows field stripping without pulling the trigger. The rear sight accept Glock sights and the front sight accepts Sig sights. Trigger weight is supposed to be in the neighborhood of six pounds and the initial reviews I've seen like the trigger.

I have a Kahr CM9 and a SW Shield (late model 1.0) that are in the same niche market as the MC1. Yet, I find myself drawn to it --- once the public beta test is over.

Your thoughts on the gun and your interest in obtaining one?

Information from Mossberg's website is here: https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/mc1sc/.

A couple of reviews:

TFB written and video

Ky Gun Co. video
Old January 7, 2019, 07:17 PM   #2
Buck Smith

Seems like a well thought-out design but with so many similar models it has a tough row to hoe. Still want to look at one though. Also wonder what the street price will be?
Old January 7, 2019, 07:58 PM   #3
Carl the Floor Walker

It would be very difficult for me to go with anything but my Nano. That said, I really like this gun from what I have seen. Obviously it did well at the Gunsite academy. I love the way you can remove the striker for easy cleaning. Something I am OCD about.
Interesting is the fact that it will take Glock 43 magazines. And it is obvious they are going directly at the Glock. Just like Ruger went after the 19 with the Security9 which IMO is no where near the build quality of the Glock (even though I am not a Glock fan)
The FMK also going against the 19.

I think the price point and the features will bring in new Shooters that have never had a interest in Glocks and maybe convert some Glock owners. I like it.

Would like to see the gun stripped down. If it has a aluminum sub chassis, then forget it. Hopefull steel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhBfB33sjWk
Old January 7, 2019, 08:16 PM   #4
HistoryJunky

If someone would make a full ambi single stack 9mm subcompact that would be great.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old January 7, 2019, 08:36 PM   #5
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Smith View Post
Seems like a well thought-out design but with so many similar models it has a tough row to hoe. Still want to look at one though. Also wonder what the street price will be?
When you consider where we are headed with our Second Amendment rights, its no wonder all these companies are getting into the 10 round or less models. One of the next big pushes will be towards banning >10 round mags, which will soon be followed by limiting capacity even further.

We get what we get because citizens aren't pushing back the way we should be.

As for this entry, Im intrigued.
Old January 7, 2019, 08:47 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
When you consider where we are headed with our Second Amendment rights, its no wonder all these companies are getting into the 10 round or less models. One of the next big pushes will be towards banning >10 round mags, which will soon be followed by limiting capacity even further.
I think it has more to do with people wanting smaller pistols to conceal (voluntarily choosing pistols with capacity less than 10 rds) than anticipation of future laws.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 7, 2019, 08:53 PM   #7
JERRYS.

I agree with TunnelRat. People in states that restrict magazine capacity usually aren't allowed to carry a firearm anyway unless they jump through many costly hoops and even then its iffy.

that said, this new gun does look promising. sort of a between Glock and Kel-tec gun...
Old January 7, 2019, 09:32 PM   #8
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I think it has more to do with people wanting smaller pistols to conceal (voluntarily choosing pistols with capacity less than 10 rds) than anticipation of future laws.
I would say its some of both.
But there is no doubt they are anticipating future laws, the same way many companies have 'compliant' specific lines. Times are changing and they run a business, they aren't stupid.
Old January 7, 2019, 09:42 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM900 View Post
I would say its some of both.
But there is no doubt they are anticipating future laws, the same way many companies have 'compliant' specific lines. Times are changing and they run a business, they aren't stupid.
Eh, okay. A ban happened before. It took them practically no time to release magazines with blocks in them that prevented more than 10 rds. A number of the most populous states still have magazine restrictions in place. They've been dealing with this a long time so to me the notion that this is a sign of their preparation is a bit of an oversell.

To me this is no surprise that Mossberg chose this particular segment to get involved with. The Shield, 43, etc are very popular sellers, regardless of the capacity restrictions of the states they sell in. There is absolutely a bit of a shift back to single stack pistols. What's old is new and people want a gun that fits them rather than fitting themselves to the gun.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old January 7, 2019, 10:41 PM   #10
TBM900

Quote:
Eh, okay. A ban happened before. It took them practically no time to release magazines with blocks in them that prevented more than 10 rds. A number of the most populous states still have magazine restrictions in place. They've been dealing with this a long time so to me the notion that this is a sign of their preparation is a bit of an oversell.

To me this is no surprise that Mossberg chose this particular segment to get involved with. The Shield, 43, etc are very popular sellers, regardless of the capacity restrictions of the states they sell in. There is absolutely a bit of a shift back to single stack pistols. What's old is new and people want a gun that fits them rather than fitting themselves to the gun.

You are entirely missing the point...
We have never seen nation wide bans such as what is likely headed our way.
Ive spoken with reps at trade shows and all have indicated products in the pipeline conforming to likely upcoming bans, including Mossy. Another is Remington who had two pistols designs and chose to proceed with the R51 first because of likely restrictions on higher cap models (too bad the 51 flopped). Same with the 1894, after years of delaying the reintroduction, did so because of a likely swing towards such after AR's get a smack down. I even got a 'wink & nod' about a new rotary fed 357 semi-auto from Ruger, again due to likely restrictions in the near future. Don't take my word for it, ask them yourselves as they have been relatively open about it. Most indicated a belief that folks will generally not want neutered firearms, but rather migrate to ones designed to make the best of the limits.

Last edited by TBM900; January 7, 2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old January 7, 2019, 10:54 PM   #11
redlightrich

This was an interesting post until TBM changed it to a legal debate.

TY

Rich
Old January 7, 2019, 10:57 PM   #12
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightrich View Post
This was an interesting post until TBM changed it to a legal debate.

TY

Rich
No such thing, I simply responded to another poster mentioning it being a 'tough row to hoe' in that these will likely be the future direction. Others then made it a 'debate'.

Mossy is on the right track and hopefully this will be a winner for us as well as them.
Old January 7, 2019, 11:04 PM   #13
TunnelRat

Quote:

Ive spoken with reps at trade shows and all have indicated products in the pipeline conforming to likely upcoming bans, including Mossy. Another is Remington who had two pistols designs and chose to proceed with the R51 first because of likely restrictions on higher cap models (too bad the 51 flopped). Same with the 1894, after years of delaying the reintroduction, did so because of a likely swing towards such after AR's get a smack down. I even got a 'wink & nod' about a new rotary fed 357 semi-auto from Ruger, again due to likely restrictions in the near future. Don't take my word for it, ask them yourselves as they have been relatively open about it. Most indicated a belief that folks will generally not want neutered firearms, but rather migrate to ones designed to make the best of the limits.
I really don't think I'm missing the point, I simply don't think the same as you. I'm also not sure how we've never seen bans as these when we literally went through an assault weapons ban. But I'm likely entirely wrong and will soon realize the error of my ways. Have a good one.

Old January 8, 2019, 04:18 AM   #14
Carl the Floor Walker

It seems they have a slightly different grip. More like the 1911 style. That should be interesting. I have always enjoyed how those style grips have felt in the hand. P238 etc.
Old January 8, 2019, 07:42 AM   #15
USNRet93

Seems to me the the 'trend' is single stack 9mm CCW guns but with more than the 6/7 round magazine.hence the 43x and P365. Seems the Mossberg is outdated even before intro. IMHO..BTW-I think a 6 or 7+1 is way adequate..It's always interesting to hear 'some' crow about 'too few rounds' but then extoll the virtues of a 1911..with 7 or so rounds..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 8, 2019, 07:46 AM   #16
USNRet93

Quote:
Ive spoken with reps at trade shows and all have indicated products in the pipeline conforming to likely upcoming bans, including Mossy.
Which 'nation wide bans' are headed our way? DEMs control only 1/3 of the US law making structure and 2/3 are controlled by the GOP..ANYTHING written by the DEM House will either be not voted on by the Senate or not signed by trump..the sky isn't falling. It may be in your state but 'nation wide'? Nope.

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; January 8, 2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old January 8, 2019, 08:14 AM   #17
Lohman446

Let's assume for a moment that technically it is everything Mossberg says it is.

Does it change anything in the game? Its entering an already overcrowded field of strike fired polymer sub compact firearms by taking aim at the benchmark* already there. Its going to enter a tremendously crowded array of guns that have already done that. How does it change anything?

As noted by others above the last "game changer" was the P365 which forced Glock to respond and adjust to the 43X. If I'm a Glock marketer and I am handed this press release and spec sheet I kind of shrug my shoulders and go "and?" because its not worth even worrying about.

*please note that I am using the term benchmark as just that. It is not intended to convey some sense of quality. When someone is talking "striker fired polymer pistol" the benchmark that everyone else measures themselves against is almost always Glock.
Old January 8, 2019, 10:18 AM   #18
TunnelRat

Quote:
Does it change anything in the game? Its entering an already overcrowded field of strike fired polymer sub compact firearms by taking aim at the benchmark* already there. Its going to enter a tremendously crowded array of guns that have already done that. How does it change anything?
I don't think it's really intended to change anything. I think it's merely intended to grab a piece of the existing pie. The same has been true of a number of market introductions for products from a number of companies.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 8, 2019, 10:31 AM   #19
Carl the Floor Walker

I shot the 365, a very nice gun, but not a game changer. It might surprise some folks, but not everyone feels they need more rounds. And why would I want a gun that will not even fit my hand?
The Mossberg takes a good platform and just might make it better. Man I bet that would stir the pot with some folks How dare them!
I fully expect to see all kinds of Bashing just like the 365 took. Some Glock folks will be out in full force. Probably a lot of Sig fans as well. Buckle up your seat belts boy's, it is going to be a wild ride!
Old January 8, 2019, 10:37 AM   #20
IdaD

I think it looks pretty nice, although the crossbolt safety seems odd on a pistol. The big problem it has is Mossberg has no reputation in this market and it's late to it, so I'm not sure why anybody would buy one over a Shield or Glock 43. They're similarly priced but have a well established track record already.
Old January 8, 2019, 11:24 AM   #21
Lohman446

The bashing is not so much bashing - for all we know it is far superior to Glock in quality. The question is how did this happen?

Who in Mossberg went to some VP and said "let's make a sub $500 polymer striker fired pistol with a 7 round capacity. We'll use CLEAR magazines"

And then they actually looked at the market and decided to go ahead with it because there are not already a billion available without differentiating themselves from that billion
Old January 8, 2019, 11:32 AM   #22
TBM900

Quote:
I really don't think I'm missing the point, I simply don't think the same as you. I'm also not sure how we've never seen bans as these when we literally went through an assault weapons ban. But I'm likely entirely wrong and will soon realize the error of my ways. Have a good one.

The AWB ended over a decade ago and had no real teeth towards the end user other than driving certain prices up. The leftists are getting smarter in their approach and actually starting to draw some real blood while showing no signs of giving up.

As for the rest, again do not take my word for it, ask the manufactures themselves what they are gearing up for.
Old January 8, 2019, 11:34 AM   #23
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
Which 'nation wide bans' are headed our way? DEMs control only 1/3 of the US law making structure and 2/3 are controlled by the GOP..ANYTHING written by the DEM House will either be not voted on by the Senate or not signed by trump..the sky isn't falling. It may be in your state but 'nation wide'? Nope.
Seems your only seeing the path at your feet instead of looking down the trail.
Old January 8, 2019, 11:39 AM   #24
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
It seems they have a slightly different grip. More like the 1911 style. That should be interesting. I have always enjoyed how those style grips have felt in the hand. P238 etc.
Yes the feel is different.
I haven’t shot one but I have had it in my hands and it will appeal to people as it is different, just as many will like the feel of a Glock but not that of a Sig.... and vice versa. I say, the more options the better.

I will also say that I liked the straight trigger, but only having dry fired it. I’ve had a chance to fire a handful of race guns that used straight triggers and I’ve always been intrigued by them.
Old January 8, 2019, 11:40 AM   #25
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
I shot the 365, a very nice gun, but not a game changer. It might surprise some folks, but not everyone feels they need more rounds. And why would I want a gun that will not even fit my hand?
The Mossberg takes a good platform and just might make it better. Man I bet that would stir the pot with some folks How dare them!
I fully expect to see all kinds of Bashing just like the 365 took. Some Glock folks will be out in full force. Probably a lot of Sig fans as well. Buckle up your seat belts boy's, it is going to be a wild ride!
Agreed on all points!