The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 17, 2019, 08:24 PM   #26
smee78

I've got a Kimber Pro Carry 2 and have been happy with it and its performance. I need to take it out for some range time. I haven't shot it for groups in many years but I can usually hit where I'm aiming with in 3/4 of an inch. I love shooting SWC 200grn reloads, love the little clean holes cut in the paper.
Old August 19, 2019, 03:28 AM   #27
MTT TL

I can't hit a sub 1" group at 25 yards with any pistol other than an AR. But my Kimbers are very accurate being minute of soda jug at 50 yards. I hear lots of complaining about Kimber reliability but after about 6000 rounds with 3 guns I have had zero issues.
Old August 19, 2019, 06:28 PM   #28
Hawg

Quote:
I have heard that current Kimber mags are lower quality. I would check on that. There are good mag makers out there: Wilson and a variety of others
Kimber .45 mags used to be made by Chip McCormick but I don't know if they still are.
Old August 22, 2019, 10:20 PM   #29
HisSoldier

Quote:
I called it The Wretch because it had a nasty habit of pitching brass at my forehead.
A couple of knowledgeable swipes with a file on the front edge of the ejector would have fixed that.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old August 23, 2019, 06:05 PM   #30
Hanshi

The Kimbers are very fine 1911s. I was shocked the first time I fired my Ultra Carry .45. At 25 yards it was dead on and put the bullets in amazingly tiny groups.
Old August 23, 2019, 09:54 PM   #31
cw308

I have 2 1911 Colt's 5 & 3" love shooting them . Kimbers are beautiful well made firearm , they remove all the rough edges , tight slides and highly polished . What's not to like . New autos need some TLC for 500 rounds to break everything in . 45's use FMJ's in the beginning after that feed it whatever you want. I treat all autos the same way , Service 45 were like rattle traps but fired every time , some things get better with use.
Old August 24, 2019, 09:55 PM   #32
CarJunkieLS1

I am now at roughly 125 round count from brand new. I have experienced 3 last round failure to feeds from the 80ish round count to the 125 round count. All 3 failures occurred with a Chip McMormick 10 round magazine. It has flawless with the 8 round Wilson mags that I have.

I have found no faults in the pistol itself and it's no doubt more accurate than I can hold it. If I do my part I'll have no issue hitting a bulleye at 25 yards. It's cleaned and oiled now ready for more shooting.
Old August 25, 2019, 02:21 PM   #33
cw308

Car
It shows you there's nothing wrong with the pistol , I only load 5 with a 7 round mag . I try not to stress anything . Last round locks back the side when loading less and works 100% do it that way . Why even think of the slide having feed problems squeezing out that last round . Load less and concentrate on your shooting is more important.
Old August 25, 2019, 03:48 PM   #34
elsancudo

That's about right...lolol.
Old August 25, 2019, 05:46 PM   #35
CarJunkieLS1

Yeah I just use the 10 round mags at the range because it's less loading time. I need to work on shot to shot consistency. I I take my time and really concentrate and do all the right things I'll hit dead center at 15 yards. For serious work (defense) the 8 round Wilson mags will get the nod for that. I love this Kimber pistol and I'm gonna do my best to be as proficient as possible with it.
Old August 25, 2019, 08:10 PM   #36
Bottom Gun

I’ve owned a number of Kimbers in various models and calibers and each has been a reliable excellent shooter and quite accurate. I think Kimber is the best value available in 1911s.
I’ve also owned Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, Colt, and Springfield 1911s. I’ve chosen to keep two brands, Les Baer and Kimber.

Kimbers do get a bad rap by people parroting what they hear from the uninformed about using MIM parts. These anti MIM people need to do a bit of research on the subject. As a retired mechanical engineer, I have no issues whatsoever with MIM parts. I think it’s cutting edge technology. How many have ever had an MIM part fail?

Now for the negative - I don’t like the full length guide rods they put in some of the full size Kimbers but they are easily replaced.

My two cents.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old August 27, 2019, 07:03 PM   #37
pete2

I've had a Kimber II since 2010. A bit of a rough start, had to dimple the slide stop to get it to work. Filed the front sight to zero it. Only other thing was the massive thumb safety, replaced it with the small Colt safety. It's very accurate, very few hiccups, maybe 2 or 3 in 3000 rounds. I did boost the hammer and install a Colt sear spring.
Old August 28, 2019, 08:31 AM   #38
Charlie98

Quote:
I am now at roughly 125 round count from brand new. I have experienced 3 last round failure to feeds from the 80ish round count to the 125 round count. All 3 failures occurred with a Chip McMormick 10 round magazine. It has flawless with the 8 round Wilson mags that I have.
When I first got my Kimber, and was shooting it to get ready for my concealed-carry qualification, I started having problems with feed issues... the second to last round would always nose-dive into the magazine... this with the mish-mash of 7- and 8-round magazines I had at the time. I switched to Chip 8-round PowerMags... and I have not had a problem in 15 years.

Quote:
A couple of knowledgeable swipes with a file on the front edge of the ejector would have fixed that.
In hindsight I know that... it would have been nothing to swap the extractor or just tune it a little, but this was in my early days of 1911-ship. Oddly enough, my brother, who owns it now, doesn't have this problem... and the pistol is unchanged.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old August 28, 2019, 08:35 AM   #39
Charlie98

Quote:
Kimbers do get a bad rap by people parroting what they hear from the uninformed about using MIM parts. These anti MIM people need to do a bit of research on the subject.
For a while, Kimber had some QC problems as well... this was repeated across the internet, so for a while everyone who had one malfunction immediately went bonkers about poor build quality.

The other big bugaboo is the plastic mainspring housing. To be honest, until I read this hoary internet lore, I never even knew it was plastic... and it made zero difference to me in what was a fantastically shootable pistol. Haters gotta hate...

Old August 28, 2019, 09:05 AM   #40
pete2

I've had no problems with the plastic mainspring housing or MIM parts on the Kimber or any other brands for that matter except for a broken ejector on a Citadel(329.00 pistol).
I've shot thousands of rounds thru a couple new style S&W revolver with MIM hammers and triggers etc. No problems. Also the Kimber and a Ruger CMD. If I'm not mistaken some Wilson parts are MIM.
Old August 28, 2019, 10:33 AM   #41
Bottom Gun

Quote:
The other big bugaboo is the plastic mainspring housing.
Doesn't Colt use plastic mainspring housings as well?

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old August 28, 2019, 01:10 PM   #42
Hammerhead

I did have a MIM sear break on a S&W 952 once.

My year old Kimber Stainless Target II 9mm came with a steel MSH.

Super accurate gun at 50 yards, feeds all my handloads, SWC, XTP, TMJ, TC, etc...
Doing my best distance shooting in years. Even managed to ring the 8" plates at 100 yards a few times.

No broken parts so far, but I did replace the extractor and firing pin stop to help target loads eject better. I smoothed up some of the internals, but left the sear and hammer alone. Trigger is really sweet.

The Swartz safety parts in the slide and frame are gone.

I feel like I just can't miss with this thing.
Old August 28, 2019, 01:32 PM   #43
CarJunkieLS1

My mainspring housing in the Kimber Stainless ii I bought a few months ago, is just as it came from the factory, except for the grips, and it's not a plastic MSH it's for sure a metal one.
Old August 30, 2019, 05:13 PM   #44
larryf1952

I bought my first Kimber in 1998. At the time, it was the most expensive handgun that I had ever bought. It shot to point of aim with excellent accuracy, and it had a great trigger. It was tight and looked like a really quality handgun. I was proud to own it, as I still am. I never had to change a thing, except for the grips.

A couple of years ago, I bought a new Custom II 2-tone. It matched the old Kimber for shootability and quality in every way. Both guns have never let me down. I put 700 rounds through the old Kimber a couple of months ago without stopping to clean it along the way. I had a few failures to feed with the original mag, but I ordered a new Wilson 47 and everything was A-OK.

Kimber had a rough patch in there with the external extractors, no doubt about it. But, I think that they're back on track and are making excellent guns these days. My Kimber Classic Stainless LE:

Old August 31, 2019, 08:48 AM   #45
Charlie98

Quote:
I bought my first Kimber in 1998. At the time, it was the most expensive handgun that I had ever bought.
I bought my Pro Eclipse II in 2003 (I think...) for $1100 out the door, it was the most expensive firearm I had ever bought, even more than my $800 Colt H-Bar, and I had a moment of pause to consider my mental stability. First 2 or 3 magazines down the tube fixed all that. I had gone in to buy a box-stock Springfield, with plans to modify it as I went along; seeing the Kimber, my brother, the voice of reason, said "Well, that pistol has everything you want on it already, why don't you just get that and be done with it?" So I did...

Old August 31, 2019, 06:04 PM   #46
CarJunkieLS1

I agree with all you guys, my Kimber isn't the most "custom" model they offer it's basically the bottom tier most basic one they offer. I couldn't be more pleased or happier with it. I compared it to the Colts and Springfields the LGS had and this pistol just seemed nicer and more quality than the same price range Springfiled and Colt.