The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 15, 2019, 02:01 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

As this thread should have demonstrated by now, people use whatever they've got.
I've known ranchers that carried SAAs, while their neighbors just had a shotgun on the porch.
I knew a "rancher" that carried only an NAA Mini loaded with .22 LR, and never anything else (except a Browning Hi-Power, once - just once). There were shotguns, a .30-06, and a .300 WM within easy reach at the house and garage (and many more in the safe); but almost never in the truck or tractor.
That guy's neighbor bought an AR-15 in the mid-'90s, which all of the neighbors in the valley ridiculed.
Not long after that AR was used to put down a pack or coyotes and a wolf was suspected of a few livestock kills, however, the entire valley had Mini-14s, ARs, or 10/22s on their porches or leaning against window sills. (And a few people that went for BARs. )

What gets seen and used just depends on the 'rancher' and his personal tastes.
But you're nearly guaranteed, at least in this part of the country, to have a 12 ga, .30-30 lever, .30-06 (or .270 Win or .280 Rem), 9mm, and .44 Mag or .45 Colt hiding somewhere ... or everywhere.
Old August 16, 2019, 07:20 AM   #27
Nanuk

22LR rifle is what I use most.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old August 17, 2019, 03:58 PM   #28
flashhole

Interesting thread with all the comments but if you don't live day-to-fay in the country for years on end it's very challenging to say what is appropriate. I went from 150 acres to 32 acres to 6.5 acres changing living locations. Gun selection changed based on the environment. Still, two guns that are consistent to everything are a 223 and a shotgun.
Old August 17, 2019, 08:29 PM   #29
FTG-05

Gulfcowboy:

I love my S&W scandium framed 1911! It looks almost exactly like a model 39, which I've lusted over since at least the late 60's!

I bought it Jan. 2018 and it's become my daily OC sidearm; if I go outside, it's on my hip.

Thanks,
Old August 17, 2019, 08:45 PM   #30
upstate81

On our apple farm my main target is the woodchuck. I generally have a remington 700 bdl chambered in .222 Remington with a zeiss 4-12x50 in the truck at all times. If im targeting chuck holes near buildings i use my savage 93 .22 WMR topped with a 2-7 Redfield. Great litte set up. Hand guns are always in the mix due to personal concealed carry obligations.
Old August 18, 2019, 11:18 AM   #31
FTG-05

Oh, and whoever fixed my pics - thanks! How did you do that?

Thanks,
Old August 18, 2019, 11:55 AM   #32
Picher

Maine Hunting Firearms Laws:
"It is Unlawful to Hunt with, or Possess for Hunting, Any:

Automatic firearm (a firearm that continues to fire as long as the trigger is held back.)
Auto-loading firearm (a firearm that reloads itself after each shot and requires a separate trigger pull for each shot) with a magazine capacity of more than 5 cartridges (plus 1 in the chamber for a total of 6), unless the magazine has been permanently altered to contain not more than 5 cartridges."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do some states allow greater magazine capacity???

JP
Old August 19, 2019, 02:54 AM   #33
MTT TL

When on my tractor or mower I normally have my Glock 22 or 1911 OC. On the ATV I have my AR-10 and an 870. The 870 is loaded with #2 birdshot and is for anything smaller than a coyote. The AR-10 is for everything else.