The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 13, 2019, 06:27 PM   #1
ks_wayward_son

Help me decide on a sight system and muzzle device for new build

Getting all the parts for build number two. It is 5.56 like my previous build. I am not really sure which direction to go with my sight system or my muzzle device. I am leaning on two choices for each category:

Muzzle Device:

Either the VG 6 Epsilon

or

Strike Industries J Comp

I already have the Gamma on another build, and like it well enough I was just wanting to change it up a bit.

Sighting system:

Straight irons only

or

Primary Arms (or other company) 1 or 3x Prism sight.

On one other AR I have a red dot with BUIS, and on the other I have a 1-4x24. With my new build I'm thinking its going to be pretty lightweight and I probably won't be shooting it much past 300 or 400 yards max.

With the muzzle device and sight system please feel free to offer any other suggestions. Im all ears.

Thanks.
Old August 13, 2019, 09:25 PM   #2
shortround60

I used to stick with iron sights, but recently picked up two Holosun 403s and I could not be more pleased thus far. They were easy to zero and after three pretty rough sessions, I feel like I should have done this a long time ago.
Old August 14, 2019, 12:07 AM   #3
rickyrick

If you want something different, you might give a linear Comp a try.. they have less perceived noise to the shooter.

Hard to say on an optic, you’ll want something reliable. Read the reviews, get the smallest sized dot for what you can afford. Some of those dots at yuge
Old August 14, 2019, 03:09 AM   #4
DubC-Hicks

The J-comp is very good for the price.

As for optics, I recently picked up a Primary Arms 2.5x Prism and love it. It's a great all around scope. And on sale on PA's website for $150 right now.
Old August 14, 2019, 12:19 PM   #5
odugrad

You mentioned iron sights OR a red dot. Why not both?

These days a lot of people don't even put iron sights on their rifles. I generally have a good pair of folding sights as backup but primarily use a red dot.
Old August 14, 2019, 03:06 PM   #6
shortround60

I have both a red dot and BUIS on my set ups. They perfectly co-witness each other and the sights are shake awake so less changing of the batteries.
Old August 15, 2019, 06:01 PM   #7
ks_wayward_son

I am leaning towards the Primary Arms prism, maybe the 2.5. It seems like it would be a great middle ground compromise in magnification. Don't need a 5x, but better than a 1x.

Also, I went ahead and picked up a Midwest Industries Acog mount. DVOR has them on sale right now for 58.00, 68.00 with shipping. Pretty good deal for quick detach I think.
Old August 18, 2019, 07:31 AM   #8
lunger

Put me in the straight irons category. After using various types of optics, I have mostly gone back to irons.

For me ,I just prefer the simplicity. But then I've always been a bit of an oddball