The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 26, 2020, 01:17 AM   #51
Scorch

I have used the same scope for most of the past 45 years. I started out with a Weaver 4X (didn't most of us?), then moved up to a 2-7X33 Weaver. That rifle (Mauser 98 in 7X57) still wears that scope. I put the 4X on my 22-250 and used it successfully for a few years, then got an itch for a "varmint scope" (whatever that is) and picked up a Leupold 6.5-20. That turned out to be waaaay too much scope, so I dropped down to a 4.5-14X for my 22-250. I tend to like mid-power variables on my hunting rifles, I have 2 2-7s, 2 2.5-8, 1 3-9, 1 3.5-10, and one 4.5-14. The 3-9 and the 3.5-10 I picked up in trades, and they are on rifles I don't shoot much. Only thing more powerful is on my 223 F Class rifle, a B&L Elite 8-32 I picked up from a customer in trade, he had it on his 7mm mag and couldn't use it.

Higher power scopes are heavy, and don't really add anything to your capabilities. Most deer are shot at less than 100 yds in good light, so tell me again why people need a 25 power scope with a 68mm objective lense?
Old September 26, 2020, 09:46 PM   #52
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
. Most deer are shot at less than 100 yds in good light, so tell me again why people need a 25 power scope with a 68mm objective lense?

Braggin rights I guess. I've hunted with a 50 MM lens and a 6.5-20 but I never used the higher power except for target shooting at long range. I have used 6X at 50 yards with no trouble but I wasn't expecting a 50 yard shot.
Old September 26, 2020, 11:11 PM   #53
Blue Duck

I am a deer hunter mostly, and my rifles serve double duty for eliminating everything from Armadillos to coyotes and anything else that needs to shot. For an all around deer/combo rifle I prefer the 2 x 7 Leupold (older scopes) like the vari-x II.

Sure it's nice to have 9 even 16 power to crank up sometimes for a long range look and possible shot but not at the expense of giving up the compact light weight and low field if view for a fast running shot at close to moderate ranges.

I keep my scopes on the lowest power until I see something that needs to be viewed at longer range. I will even crank up at close range sometimes to look at a head or something. You usually always have time to crank up but not down for a quick shot, usually.

The current long range craze with big heavy rifles and huge scopes is fine for what they were designed for, but I wouldn't pack one for very far at all, to hunt with unless I really did intend to shoot at stupid long ranges, which I consider unethical for the killing of game animals. At any rate I find the big scopes heavy and clumsy and too bulky for my taste.

Another thing I like about lets say a 2 x 7 Leupold is it's very forgiving on eye relief and I don't want to give that up.
Old September 27, 2020, 12:19 AM   #54
jimbob86

Quote:
As for scope height, I suppose a person can attach a cushion on the comb of the stock
That is what I have done .... my 1950's vintage rifle was stocked for open sights .... the low mounted 3-9x32 needed about an inch or so of foam under the neoprene sleeve by Beartooth Products to get the sighting plane right ....
Old September 27, 2020, 12:23 AM   #55
jimbob86

[QUOTEMost deer are shot at less than 100 yds in good light, so tell me again why people need a 25 power scope with a 68mm objective lense?][/QUOTE]

Jeff Cooper derided these as "moonscopes" decades ago ..... the only reasonable argument for them i have gotten is that when turned down to the lowest power, they work better than the naked eye in the last couple of minutes of legal shooting light ......
Old September 27, 2020, 01:28 AM   #56
BJung

I want to think that a higher power round should have a higher power scope to shoot farther and with the higher magnification, I can shoot more accurately.

That said, I know the rifle I have is a hunting rifle not capable of high accuracy like a long-range hunting rifles. The higher power round is for a larger animal or for the ability to have a point blank range at a farther distance. I like to think that one shoots better groups with a higher magnification scope. The farther the game, time can be used to turn up the power setting and you improve your accuracy. Almost all of my shooting experience is with open sights. At best, I liked hiking on BLM land and shoot at exposed dirt or dirt mounds with my .22lr with open sights like an archer would stump shoot.
Old September 28, 2020, 12:49 PM   #57
Don Fischer

My favorite scope I've been using since about 1970, 2 3/4x Redfield Widefield. It's on my 30-06 that I use for elk hunting. I limit myself to under 300yds generally and have only pushed 300 one time, actually 330yds measured with my 6.5x06 and a 3-9x scope on 3X. These days I have no idea what is around for low fixed power scope's and for a long time went with a 3-9x that I always kept on 3x. Today I think the best hunting scope is the 2-7x class and have two of them mounted and used on 2x. The vast majority of big game I've shot has been well under 250Yds, well under. My rifles are all sightedin at Max Point Blank Range, MPBR, at an 8" target. They will all put a bullet into even an Antelope at 300yds without holding the sight's off the animal. As for being able to see well, even on that one 330yd deer it was no problem at all on 3x!

For the most part I don't think brand is that big a deal, most reputable manufacturer's make good scopes. I have two old Redfield's, 2 3/4x and 1-4X. Few Nikons, and old Bushnell Banner, two new Redfield Leupold'sand an old Weaver K4.They all work more than well.
Old October 10, 2020, 03:05 PM   #58
The Happy kaboomer

Since we can hunt 1 hr before sunrise to 1 hr after sunset(deer). I always use a high quality, high dollar( Leupold, Meopta or Ziess). Always at a minimum 3x10x50 with duplex cross hair. Cheap scopes work in the sunshine. But quality scopes work early and late. BTW You can't shoot what you can't see....
Same way with Binoculars.