The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old February 11, 2021, 06:52 AM   #1
ABQ_Hatrick

Ammunition Primer Availability

I'm here ASKING EVERYONE. Do I have the right to be up set about the current availability of reloading components.
Below is an email I wrote to Vista Outdoors in hopes of shaking things up. I'm on a slow campaign, to get at least 10% of reloading components back on the market or resale, mainly Primers, followed by bullets and powder. Please join me in bombarding Vista Outdoors with emails about this subject. Contacting Jason directly is not the answer, The more product his companies sell, the bigger his Bonuses. So I emailed his bosses in hopes someone would see there is a bigger issue here. He has no interest in fixing or helping the problem. He is interested in making as many finished products as can be made, getting them out the door to resellers.

My Email to Vista Outdoors

I Re-load my own ammunition with thousands of dollars of RCBS reloading equipment. I have been doing so since 1984, that’s over 36 years. Vista Outdoors owns these Brands, RCBS, CCI, Federal, Remington.
Last month the President of Federal, CCI, Speer And Remington Jason Vanderbrink, made a Public Statement on their Federal Ammunition YouTube channel. They (his company) were not releasing Primers for resale. They were reserving all primer production for bullet manufacturer. I get we live in a capitalist country, but if your going to sell reloading equipment, you should make the components available to your loyal customers even if it means a waiting list, and at least a limit of 1000 primers a month. Cheaper than a law suite by far.
I have purchased RCBS products and love them. But right now I’m steaming mad. One of your BRANDS has publicly announced they are withholding ALL primers for bullet manufacturer. That is what is called monopolizing. You sold me the equipment to reload my own ammunition. Now some of your Brands have made it public they are withholding the components I need to use the equipment you sold me. If your greed can not support all markets, especially ones you influence. Than I feel a very large Class Action Suite might be our only attempt at getting ammunition components on the market for purchase. I don’t know what else to do. You have the capacity to distribute 10% of your primers to the market for reloading. But Greed is keeping my equipment silenced. Without primers billions of dollars of reloading equipment across the USA remains silent. I would appreciate your attention in providing ammunition components availability during this unusual time.
David Haney

I'm not sure how you feel about this, I'm incensed! May be if enough of us threw in a dollar. We could get a Lawyer to start a class action Suite on the Idea of Fair trade. They sell components we need and their public declaration they were not releasing any mainly primers for resale. That set off a nerve!

Aim Straight! Get back to reloading!

A link to Jason Vanderbrinks YouTube message.

https://youtu.be/KIgvoJKovIg
Old February 11, 2021, 11:07 AM   #2
ballardw

I really hope you mean "cartridge" or "ammunition" manufacturing. If we need primers in the bullets then that is another problem.

Just an occasionally pedantic sort that dislikes misuse of "bullet" when "ammunition" or "cartridge" is more correct. Please don't yell at me.

I suspect that when people quit paying $40 for $10 worth of 9mm or similar the primers will be available.
Old February 11, 2021, 02:39 PM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I think Vista, Olin, and everyone else needs to be left the hell alone. They're doing the best they can. The onus is on the consumer, not the businesses of source materials/goods.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...d3HvT0.twitter

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 11, 2021, 03:04 PM   #4
MarkCO

If I was in his position, I'd be doing the same thing he is. Maximizing profits for the owners, who are the stock holders. Using all the resources at their disposal to make the most amount of product for the highest profit is, in fact capitalism.
Old February 11, 2021, 04:16 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Welcome to tfl!

Quote:
Do I have the right to be up set about the current availability of reloading components.
You have a right to be upset at the situation, but I think you are directing your anger at the wrong people, and your idea of a lawsuit is completely off base.

Not only is a company entirely within its rights to decide what and how much they make and were it goes, but its their responsibility as well.

One has no grounds to sue a company for making those decisions, unless they violate an actual law in the process. Remember that every publicly owned company's responsibility is to its owners (shareholders) NOT to the public or some sector of the public.

yes, it ticks us off, but unless you own the company, you don't get a say in those decisions. It is entirely appropriate to make your dissatisfaction known , politely, but threats of lawsuits just don't help.

There is absolutely greed involved in the situation today, but it isn't always the "evil corporate greed" people have been trained to see, the greed involved here is what created the situation in the first place, greed of the consumer, the panic buying outpacing the production capacity of the manufacturers.

The system is self correcting (provided the govt stays out of it) and with TIME things will balance out, but until then, we're stuck with what panic buying has brought about.

we can get toilet paper again, eventually other things will come back, as well.
Old February 11, 2021, 09:24 PM   #6
FITASC

Primers should be back about the end of the year, maybe. A lot will depend on how Remington's restart goes.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 11, 2021, 10:17 PM   #7
ABQ_Hatrick

thanks for your words.
Old February 11, 2021, 11:34 PM   #8
Frank Ettin
Staff

The ground’s been covered.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread