The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 18, 2013, 12:39 PM   #1
subsonar

Opinion: Best CCW for Large Hands?

I recently got my carry concealed permit in WI. Had a hard time tracking down my DD-214 for the application.

I own a Beretta 92FS Inox, but I'm a big fella and don't think I can successfully conceal a full-sized handgun. I don't want to buy a revolver and I don't have a ton of money to throw around at 3 or 4 different semi-auto options to figure out which works best for me.

I had been considering the Beretta Nano or the Springfield XD-S, but have been told by friends that the grip is pretty short. I don't want a weapon that I can't securely grip with my full hand.

Any input would be helpful.
Old January 18, 2013, 01:07 PM   #2
tipoc

My suggestion is to travel to one or more of your local gunatoriums. There you can handle and ask questions about the guns themselves. There are sure to be several within an hours drive of where you are at.

A local shooting range may also have guns to rent to try out. Call first and ask if they have this option.

There is likely to be a gun show coming up in your area, that will provide you with a larger number of guns to look at, handle and compare prices on.

There is no substitute for handling the guns themselves.

Google can help you in locating these resources.

tipoc
Old January 18, 2013, 01:12 PM   #3
subsonar

Thanks. There's a gun show on Feb 3rd around here. Guess I'll see what I can find.
US NAVY SUBMARINE VETERAN
Old January 18, 2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Seaman

Ahoy Subsonar,

Welcome aboard.

I'm big too... recommendations are: Sig 239 in 9mm with the extended grip 10-rd mag, Commander size 1911, S&W SW99 (9mm/40SW/45ACP, available used and still some NIBs out there), Walther PPS with extended grip 8-rd mag, Sig 229 in 40SW, and the Makarov PM in 9mm Mak (not 380).

They all get the job done, and at least one should fit your physical needs.

Good luck.
Old January 18, 2013, 02:01 PM   #5
jackpine

I have large hands and I carry a glock 21 or a S&W 28. It's all in getting the right holster.
Old January 18, 2013, 02:49 PM   #6
smokiniron

Meaty hands

I have meaty hands. My large(r) carry gun is Springer XD45 Compact with 5" barrel, short and long mags. 4 months ago, I got a Springfield Xds. Love it, but I made a rubber grip to cut down the chafing and also recently designed a special concealed carry pocket holster. I'm wearing the prototype for a month or so and will make/sell them if I like how it works. I have no complaints about the XDs. Just manage your grip, like so many others have said. It shoots better if your wrist is in the game. I just slip an extra mag in a shirt pocket.

-Smokiniron
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old January 18, 2013, 03:45 PM   #7
SauerGrapes

Quote:
Commander size 1911
This came to mind first.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old January 18, 2013, 03:50 PM   #8
subsonar

In reality how much smaller than a Beretta 92FS is a 1911 Commander size?
Old January 18, 2013, 05:03 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Why can't a "big fella" conceal a full-size pistol? I have a friend down in Texas who goes by the nickname Slim. The man has to stand in the same place twice to cast a shadow, and he can conceal a full-size 1911. What's the problem?
Old January 18, 2013, 05:06 PM   #10
subsonar

it has a lot to do with my "roundness" and the fact that I don't want to print, i want to conceal. I'm a fat dude.
Old January 18, 2013, 05:15 PM   #11
Loronzo

I was talking to my local LFR about the XDS myself. I didn't know this but they recently came out with an extended mag for it that increases the ammo capacity (and grip size) by one round. Currently I carry an XD 40 subcompact and had a hard time with the length of the grip until I added a Pierce pinky grip extension. It doesn't affect printing for me because the added 1/2 inch or so is at the front (trigger side) of the grip but it allows me to get a full grip on it without adding to the printability like the full size adapted magazine does. May be an option to explore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-05-19_20-35-31_343.jpg (243.7 KB, 173 views)
Old January 18, 2013, 05:58 PM   #12
rickmelear

If your a big guy with the proper IWB holster the Beretta should carry fine. I alternate between a Kahr P9 and a Glock 17 using a Crossbreed Supertuck for both. I simply wear a untucked shirt always.
Old January 18, 2013, 06:11 PM   #13
Capt Rick Hiott

If your hands are that big,,,,you only need three fingers to hold the grip to start with..........

I also have big hands and have a Ruger LCP,,,,the gun has very little recoil, I dont have a problem with it........
Old January 18, 2013, 06:14 PM   #14
subsonar

Never thought about it that way. I always liked to have my whole hand on the grip. Felt like better control. Guess I can give it a shot. I bought a left handed IWB holster for carry at the small of my back. Gonna try the 92 for a day and see how it feels.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:09 PM   #15
chris in va

I'd have to say the new Glock 30s coming out.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:09 AM   #16
stormyone

I'd go with a Glock 17.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:12 AM   #17
SPEMack618

One of my Fraternity Brothers is a big guy as well and he conceals a Glock 22 just by ordering big and tall sized shirts online and let's the shirt tail hang out.

I actually did that too, cause I'm on the tall side and prefer a longer shirt for concealing when it is 95 degrees in the shade.
Old January 19, 2013, 11:03 AM   #18
jackpine

Quote:
Gonna try the 92 for a day and see how it feels.
Unless your holster/gun combo is causing major pain you can't tell if it's going to work out unless you try it out for at least a week but usually two weaks. When I first started packing a pistol it was a full sized 1911 because thats all I had at the time and the first two weeks sucked but after that my body adjusted to the extra lbs hanging on my belt.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:45 PM   #19
glock_country

I´ve got big hands too, an I can fully recommend the Walther PPS with the 8-round mag for ccw!

Greetings
Old January 19, 2013, 04:38 PM   #20
Seaman

"In reality how much smaller than a Beretta 92FS is a 1911 Commander size?" [subsonar]

Its significant. For its caliber, the Beretta 92 is a big gun.

The Beretta is longer and noticeably wider, especially in the grip, also the slide. The Commander slide is .90 of an inch wide, thats right, less than one inch, less than a Walther PPS (.91), and with slim grips, the grip is about an inch.

The Commander 1911s only drawback is its heavy weight, but lightweight models are available.

Of all the 1911 variants, the Commander size is arguably the most flexible for CCW duty.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:33 AM   #21
MLeake

Somebody beat me to it, on two counts.

First, there is nothing like getting your hands on different models to see what fits you; it doesn't matter much what fits me.

Second, though, I do have fairly large hands, and when I want a small gun that hides under summer clothing but shoots like a bigger gun, I go with a PPS, using the large backstrap, 7rd mag, and a LimbSaver grip sleeve.

The 7rd provides a little finger rest, but conceals better than the 8rd. I carry 8rd mags as spares in my mag holder.

But, going back to the first point, just because it works for me... YMMV.
Old January 21, 2013, 02:08 AM   #22
jason_iowa

Its really not all that hard to conceal a full sized handgun or 2 on your average sized guy. Good holsters and good belts make a world of difference. You may have to change the way you dress a bit. Some people like to wear shorts and T shirts in the summer time which makes it harder to conceal weapons and does not really make you any more comfortable. Go look at how native desert people dress you can conceal ak-47s under that.

Also having your clothes tailored can make things easier. By that I mean taking your store bought clothes to a tailor not having custom made clothes. Its not to expensive your clothes will fit better too.
Old January 21, 2013, 04:00 AM   #23
NWCP

Take a look at the HK USP45 compact, or the HK45C. I carry the HK45C on a daily basis. With a Kramer IWB they both conceal very well. Get the 10 round magazine for it and adjust the grips for your comfort. They are both are very reliable and accurate.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:32 PM   #24
Nasty

Bersa 45 UC.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:37 PM   #25
dsa1115

Glock G30.