The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 1, 2020, 12:11 PM   #1
Lavan

I whipped hammer bite on my Browning Hi-Power

Thunk about it. Tried it. WORKED!
I put some WOOD grips on it and the extra width keeps my thumb web out of the way.

Your results may differ.

Now I'm wondering if anyone makes a thicker grip for Gov't 1911.
Maybe a Pachmayr wraparound cut in half and mounted on each side.

Hmmmm.........
Old January 1, 2020, 12:36 PM   #2
Tactical Jackalope

Beautiful pistol. Glad you fixed that hammer bite from happening.

Some guns just can't be avoided. You did well.

Mine is the USP 9 Compact. It doesn't happen with me on the full-sized pistol, but on the compact the safety / decocker digs into my thumb knuckle like crazy. When I get to about 200-250 rounds, it peels a thick chunk of my skin. Not good for classes, lol.

They said to go to LEM, which got rid of the lever but the LEM trigger wasn't my favorite. So I sold the pistol. Not to mention the short grip. Had to move my pink, ring finger, and palm out of the way for mag changes or else I'd get pinched.

Anyway, cheers. Happy New Year.
Old January 1, 2020, 11:24 PM   #3
veprdude

There are always the round hammers for Hi Powers you could replace.

Old January 2, 2020, 08:16 AM   #4
rodfac

Good lookin' HP, Lavan. Two questions: who made your grips, and are those stock sights? The front, especially, looks custom when compared to my "Practical" in the pic below.

I've never had a problem with hammer bit with any of my HP's, all but one of which have standard hammers, but I do know that many shooters are afflicted. Both of my current ones, (Mklll's in 9mm and .40 S&W), sport Hogue coco bola stocks. Beautiful and functional at the same time. Here's mine. The two-tone is a 9mm, the other with adj. sights, is the .40.

One of my sons had a pair of Pachmayr's on his 1911 Colt, but as you suggest, cut away the front strap cover. As I recall, they were a bit thicker than standard GI wood checkered grips, but not so much as to make a difference in 'feel'. I never cared for them, a bit slippery for my taste, but he liked them well enough. They were mounted on a Combat Commander with the satin nickle finish...the contrast of black grips on a satin nickle finished gun were attractive...if that matters in a fighting pistol.

Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; January 2, 2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old January 2, 2020, 08:34 AM   #5
Lavan

Altamont made the grips. I can't replace the hammer as the trigger job Bill Davis did is the best I've ever felt.
Truly amazing crispness.
Mag safety in or out.

The sights are bone stock and dead on. What may look like custom could be shadow from the box.
Old January 2, 2020, 08:38 AM   #6
Hal

Speaking of grips....

Is Hakan Pek still around?

I haven't seen his name for a while.
Old January 2, 2020, 08:47 AM   #7
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfac View Post
Good lookin' HP, Lavan. Two questions: who made your grips, and are those stock sights? The front, especially, looks custom when compared to my "Practical" in the pic below.

I've never had a problem with hammer bit with any of my HP's, all but one of which have standard hammers, but I do know that many shooters are afflicted. Both of my current ones, (Mklll's in 9mm and .40 S&W), sport Hogue coco bola stocks. Beautiful and functional at the same time. Here's mine. The two-tone is a 9mm, the other with adj. sights, is the .40.

One of my sons had a pair of Pachmayr's on his 1911 Colt, but as you suggest, cut away the front strap cover. As I recall, they were a bit thicker than standard GI wood checkered grips, but not so much as to make a difference in 'feel'. I never cared for them, a bit slippery for my taste, but he liked them well enough. They were mounted on a Combat Commander with the satin nickle finish...the contrast of black grips on a satin nickle finished gun were attractive...if that matters in a fighting pistol.

Rod

Many of the Practicals I've seen have front sights that are larger than the standard Hi Powers, and are also ramped. Lavan's look just like my plain Jane Mk III.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; January 2, 2020 at 07:18 PM.
Old January 2, 2020, 02:56 PM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
There are always the round hammers for Hi Powers you could replace.
Interesting point here: the ring hammer on my Mk. III Hi Power (Israeli Surplus contract gun with plastic checkered FN grips) gives me hammer bite, whereas the spur hammer of my Mk II contract Hi Power (with plastic FN thumb rest grips) does not.

I don't know if the grips and hammer style are the only variables at play, but it goes to show that the hammer style alone doesn't determine if you'll get slide bite.
Old January 2, 2020, 07:11 PM   #9
rodfac

Thx Lavan and Tunnel...that Practical of mine has the white line front sight...it's pretty short as I've had to shave the rear down a mite to get my POI 1" high at 10 yds POA. Given my druthers, I'd like a POI and POA at the very tip-top of the front sight at 25 yds. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; January 3, 2020 at 08:51 AM.
Old January 6, 2020, 11:35 PM   #10
rock185

That is an interesting way to get around hammer bite. BTW, those Altamonts look just like the wide Herretts Cocobolo grips that CDNN and Brownells sold for years. Perhaps Altamont is doing the same style grips now.