The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 18, 2020, 05:06 AM   #51
Carl the Floor Walker

I have been shooting pocket guns for years and shoot them often. I totally believe in training with a small barrel 22.cal. Trigger control, point and shoot skill development especially is important. The LCR22 has been a huge success for myself in shooting snubbies. especially the LCR9mm. Recoil difference is not a disadvantage in shooting one. Recoil simply put your eye and hand off target momentarily. Or at least your hand. Multiple targets with a 22.cal does the same thing. It is nice to be able to go to the range and shoot hundreds of rounds through a small barrel and not have to second mortgage your house in order to do so. Especially if you are shooting each week.

It works for me. I have proven this. If it does not work for you then just keep shooting 380 ammo for training. Be sure to get one that holds up well for a lot of shooting. I have always enjoyed shooting small barrel pistols and revolvers. They are a challenge, and a great satisfaction comes from shooting them well.

What I cannot figure out is how the heck Ruger is justifying $300 for a LCP. The LCP 380 is just a cheap aluminum frame small gun without sights. Cost for Ruger to make one has to be extremely low. A cost of $150.00 is a fair price for one. But $300.00?

I have always thought the LCP was the biggest profit maker for Ruger. Now it looks like they make the same gun in 9mm and now the 5.7. Same materials etc.

No wonder they no longer make guns like the SR9C which now can be bought for the same price as a Ruger LCP 22.cal. Does not make sense other than reaping in huge profits.

This gun below from Ruger is a nicely made firearm and very worthy of $300, which it is selling for. Show me the difference in the LCP 22/

Old January 18, 2020, 07:56 AM   #52
USNRet93

Quote:
What I cannot figure out is how the heck Ruger is justifying $300 for a LCP. The LCP 380 is just a cheap aluminum frame small gun without sights. Cost for Ruger to make one has to be extremely low. A cost of $150.00 is a fair price for one. But $300.00?
"Whatever the market will bear"....First page of Gunbroker-23 posts of this pistol FS...But yup, I bought a new LCP in .380 for $185 out the door..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 18, 2020, 08:57 AM   #53
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
"Whatever the market will bear"....First page of Gunbroker-23 posts of this pistol FS...But yup, I bought a new LCP in .380 for $185 out the door..
Yep USN, you are 100% correct. And ya got to give high points to Ruger Marketing. Persoanlly I think Ruger has the best marketing department than any other company. (a topic for its own thread).
Old January 18, 2020, 09:57 AM   #54
Carmady

In 2013 $300 was a great price for the LCP (Gen 2). Soon after that Ruger dropped the price to $200 because they found a way to cut manufacturing costs. Then the short-lived LCP Custom came out.
Old January 19, 2020, 09:02 AM   #55
sysmgr

10+1 Loaded with Stingers... Can it handle Stingers?
Old February 3, 2020, 04:45 PM   #56
ThomasT

Quote:
10+1 Loaded with Stingers... Can it handle Stingers?
I am certain Ruger knows that many will use stingers in their guns so I would guess they would be no problem. I mean after all, it will handle the 380 round.