The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 3, 2015, 11:15 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Gun Show in Dozwell, VA....

What an oddity......

have gone to this show about four times now. It is a small show, not many vendors and not well attended by buyers.

BUT

I always come home with something nice.

Today I took along a Remington Rolling Block that had been cut down to a carbine. .43 Spanish. Bore was absolutely great. Last year I bought this rifle and just gave up trying to reload .43 Spanish cartridges. I havge a RRB in .45-70 and I only have two hands so why would I need a second rifle.

So I traded it at the show for a new Zig M1911 in .45 ACP. I am every bit as fond of 1911s as I am of women with junk in the trunk. A real pushover.

Also bought a Russian Makarov in .380, which is the point of this post. I gave three hundred for the pistol, two mags and a nice Uncle Mikes nylon holster.

I already have a Radon, Polish Makarov, but this Russian job is neat. Adjustable sights. Nice trigger pull (In single action) and .380 to boot.

Any comments on this pistol? Experience? Suggestions?
Old May 3, 2015, 11:35 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Just did a little reading.....

The grip of this Makarov is molded with the name: Baikal which should mean it was made sometime in the 90s after the break up of the USSR. There is a post manufacture marking on the pistol which says, (in english) "Made in Russia by IMEZ". Pistol is an IJ70-17. Appears to have been imported by B-West in Tuscon (Why isn't it pronounced "Tuxon"? I mean if you look at the spelling, you would pronounce it: tuxon!) AZ.

Frame is an interesting combination of bluing and what appears to be a dull parkerised finish similar to what is found on the CZ-52. Can't find an original serial number. Only the four digit SN (23XX) which appears to have been applied post import.

The slide is fully blued and the quality of the finish is quite nice.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; May 3, 2015 at 11:42 PM.
Old May 4, 2015, 06:45 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

15 or so years ago I bought an S&W Model 10 4" there. Finish was good, but freckled.

$152 out the door.

I ended up selling it to a friend for what I paid for it because he needed a gun for his wife.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 4, 2015, 08:45 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

One of these days....

I am going to hit the Chantilly show...Or Fredericksburg.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:15 AM   #5
noelf2

Fredericksburg show is pretty good, but I rarely leave with anything to show for it except a hand stamp.
Old May 18, 2015, 02:27 PM   #6
Coppershot

Over the weekend a friend of mine gave me a Russian Makarov 380 (Baikal by Imez) imported into Tuscon, AZ. He had too many of them. I ran some hard ball through it and it shot pretty well. I have never owned a 380, not being a fan of 9mm's. I accepted the gift nonetheless. The front sight is tiny but the adjustment for windage worked just fine. It's kind of a "for fun" pistol. I carry 45 ACP and 45LC exclusively. I don't think I'll be buying a set of 380 dies.