The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 4, 2013, 07:48 AM   #1
duelist1954

Slix Shot nipples and a Wolff reduced power main spring in an 1851 Navy

One of the claimed benefits of using Slix Shot nipples is the ability to use a lighter main spring because the back pressure of the charge firing is diffused by the side vents on the nipple. So, after outfitting an 1851 Navy with a set of Slix Shots, I equipped it with a Wolff reduced power main spring to put the theory to the test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3ZKccjEmQ
Old August 4, 2013, 08:33 AM   #2
Noz

The Slix shot nipples in Pietta 1860 Armys work quite well with the Brownells sold reduced power 1873 main springs.
Old August 4, 2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Pahoo

Another good one

Interesting to note that these nipples are the equivalent of the "HotShot" nipples, used for long guns. ...

Mike, you kept using the term; cap-sucking, or something like that. Can you explain as I don't think I have ever heard this before ....

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!
Old August 4, 2013, 12:44 PM   #4
duelist1954

Since I have gotten some flack that I am trashing Slix Shot nipples. let me assure you all that that's not the case.

I said from the 9 minute, 30 second point in the video.

"Now the Slix Shot nipples did fine. There was no cap sucking. The hammer did not blow back. It's just that the Wolff mainspring, which is very, very light, was insufficient to set off the caps."

I don't think that is trashing Slix at all.

Perhaps a medium weight spring would have set the caps off, but that's not what I was testing. I wanted to try the lightest spring. Several other shooters have had exactly the same results with the Wolff springs in Colt style cap & ball revolvers.
Old August 4, 2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Hawg

If I'm not mistaken that spring is made for the 73 Colt. I have one in my 73 Uberti and it works fine. The difference is probably that small rounded firing pin on the 73 as opposed to the big flat hammer face on the 51. I assume by cap sucking you mean the cap getting stuck in the safety slot and getting pulled off the nipple.
Old February 7, 2014, 10:40 PM   #6
georgiacatweazle

which nipples ?

I was going to upgrade the nipples on my pietta 1851 44 cal. I'm thinking Treso or Slixshot. for $17 buffalo are selling RMC ? don't know if it's worth going cheap or going for trusted quality ?
Old February 7, 2014, 11:27 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

Slix shots are the way to go. I ran into the same situation as Mike did on my '61 Navies. The Wolfe springs were too light to reliably pop the caps; although the Slix shots & Wolfe springs worked every time my 1860 Armies
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 8, 2014, 08:25 AM   #8
Andy Griffith

I have yet to try the slix-shot, but the Tresos do work quite well on my Armys and Navys.

I would definitely recommend Tresos on Walkers and Dragoons, period.

The fact is, anything is an upgrade over factory nipples.
Old February 8, 2014, 08:26 AM   #9
georgiacatweazle

Thanks Fingers.
Wish there was a 'like' button or quote on here instead of posting.

My pietta I bought back at Thanksgiving appears to have fairly well machined nipples, not like the ugly ones you usually see. they still aren't fancy but look more precise. overall for $149, when I opened the box, I thought holy crap, AWESOME! a thing of beauty.

Even though the nipples 'look ok' so many people swear that the guns work better with the upgrade, so $36 for a set maybe worth the investment.
Old February 8, 2014, 08:35 AM   #10
Andy Griffith

The biggest problem is not so much the firing of the gun, as all the nipples do that fairly well- but what happens after firing.

Most OEM nipples have flash holes far too large, and that allows a lot of back pressure to come back into the nipple upon firing, and make the cap split and fall down into the action as soon as you cock the hammer after firing.

Some nipples cure this by having a smaller flash hole, and others do it by having vents on the side, or both.

Of course, aftermarket nipples also have a better cap fit too.
Old February 8, 2014, 10:37 AM   #11
georgiacatweazle

Ok, just ordered the Slix Shots $36 and $5 shipping.
I saw a half decent looking used Pietta 1851 brass 44 online for $49, sounds like a good deal.
Old February 8, 2014, 11:25 AM   #12
bedbugbilly

Another great video Mike! Interesting results. I switched the nipples in my '51 Uberty Navy to slid shots and they work great - I love 'em. Your results sort of answered my questions on whether to change out the main spring or not as I had been giving it some thought.

I love that "London Model". Gives me the "itch" to maybe add it to the herd!

Thanks for sharing . . always enjoyable to see your videos!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 8, 2014, 12:31 PM   #13
roadrocket

nipples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy7pXIbu6U8

he is an example of the hammer coming back.
Old February 8, 2014, 04:37 PM   #14
noelf2

Quote:
he is an example of the hammer coming back.
No it isn't. It's a common visual anomaly. Sort of like quickly waving your hand across your face and you see a trail behind it.
Old February 8, 2014, 04:57 PM   #15
Hawg

Quote:
It's a common visual anomaly.
Yep
Old February 9, 2014, 07:45 PM   #16
North East Redneck

Anyone tried Slix Shots on an ROA? Are they even offered for ROA?
Old February 15, 2014, 01:21 PM   #17
Blind Pugh

I have just installed a set of Slix Shot nipples in my Colt Signature 1860 fluted cylinder 44 and am very impressed. In original trim the gun was a real pain, poor ignition, cap fragmentation, but now it's a completely different experience. I will certainly be ordering a set for my 36 Police asap.
Old February 15, 2014, 01:47 PM   #18
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Anyone tried Slix Shots on an ROA? Are they even offered for ROA?
They are available; but, I haven't tried any. I don't shoot my ROAs, they are for investment purposes only
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 18, 2014, 09:03 PM   #19
North East Redneck

Fingers- yes to investment, local guy had an ROA, claimed it had 36 shots through it. Late 90s stainless model, watched it go from $450 on down. When it got to $250 I was ready to make a move... So was someone else and they were quicker than I was. Kicking myself now. A nice gun and $$ lost.
Old February 18, 2014, 09:50 PM   #20
dr1445

they use remington #10 caps for the best fit, if this is so, i have not seen even one tin of rem #10's around here since i started messing around bp 3 monthe ago. otherwise i would like to give them a go.
Old February 18, 2014, 11:32 PM   #21
Fingers McGee

Cabelas has some stocks of Rem 10s according to their website.
Old February 19, 2014, 05:38 AM   #22
dr1445

i did see some #11 on the website, which i tried to order but no free to store shipping, so you get the hazmat fee, getting 2k or more would be the way to go.. i spent my $ on a pietta rem 1858 36 cal used but unfired, no $ left just now.