The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 1, 2011, 12:07 PM   #26
Bill Akins

Wogpotter, would you please tell me where I can get a possibles bag like the one you have in this below pic? Also would love to hear a breakdown description of all the accessories (except the green satchel) you have in the below pic and where you got them from. I've got a similar holster but without the medallion. Thanks, Bill.

Old February 1, 2011, 04:09 PM   #27
wogpotter

I'd be glad to, Bill.

The holster is from Cabela's, I added the bear print medallion, which I found at a Craft store. Its actually a button, but it does look nice so I fitted it to the holster's strap. The belt is also from Cabela's.

The bag is called the "Leatherman double belt pouch" & comes from "www.blackpowderbags.com". From the website there:
==================
"Price:
$50.00
SKU:
DB-601
Weight:
1.00 LBS

Product Description
This bag is designed to be used by the hunter but many find it handy for other uses. The rear pocket holds 5 speed loader tubes while the front pocket can be used to store tools , cleaning gear, extra caps or flints. A loop is included on the side to hold a short starter and a pocket is incorporated between the belt loop and the rear pocket that will hold a capper or primmer ready for use. A dee is sewn into the side seam to tie off capper or primer so it will never be dropped and lost. You will love this belt bag; it is all you need to carry 5 shots into the field in a small organized package. Belt loop accepts up to a 2 1/2" belt. "
============================

It has one slim pocket at the rear & 2 larger pouches in front, the inner one is accessed by just lifting the outer one, & the outer one is secured with a thong & button. I keep stuff I need for firing in the inside one & stuff for cleaning & maintenance in the outer as the inner is easier to access. There is a loop for a short starter, or powder measure sewn into the belt loop & a tie down for accessories as well. The belt loop is very deep & will work with the widest belts.

Be warned. This is not traditionally tanned & will discolor brass if it is left in there for long periods! I soaked this one with warm water & baking soda overnight & then rinsed it & it now does not have the effects of modern tanning. I just used some clear boot polish after air drying the leather to re-soften it. After I did that it is fine.

Here's some more pics showing all the cra, err stuff I cram in there for walking in the woods, or camping there for a week.

Here's the inside pocket with my shooting supplies.

Here's the outside one with the cleaning & maintenance stuff.

By threading a thong through some brass rings I can also convert it from a belt pouch to a shoulder strap type.

Hope that helps.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by wogpotter; February 1, 2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Found info when checking link was good.
Old February 2, 2011, 02:09 AM   #28
Bill Akins

It did indeed help Wogpotter. I'm going to check out that possibles bag. I like it very much. I take WAY too much BP stuff to the range with me and have several possibles bags I keep my BP stuff in. I need to consolidate down and a bag like yours is just the ticket to replace the larger possibles bag I carry. I can leave my other bags in the car so if I need them they are there, but just carry a bag on my belt like yours instead of having a large one slung over my shoulder. Thanks for that info.
Old February 2, 2011, 05:11 PM   #29
noelf2

FWIW, I just saw a video of a guy who got an ebony finish on a gun grip by dunking/soaking it in black leather dye. You can fix any chips with more dye, and/or put a clear flat finish on it.
Old February 2, 2011, 09:43 PM   #30
BlackPowderSmoke

pic of black grips.

Thanks for posting pics of the black grips, [email protected] & Bill Akins. For some reason, that is something I just could not visualize no matter how hard I tried. I sure do like the looks of them, gives the revs a unique look, IMO. I have a few sets of blanks, I think I am going to stain a set repeatedly until they turn dark. Saweet!!!
Old February 3, 2011, 09:25 AM   #31
madcratebuilder

The newer "gun coatings" you can buy like Alum hyde or Dura coat when applied to wood give you a very smooth finish. A gloss black would look like ebony when applied to wood grips.

Carrying your 'stuff' in the field is a pain. There are several patterns on the net for making your own possibles bag. Fun and a cheap project. Don't leave home without it.

This project brought back memories of jr high shop classes and doing leather work. Sharp tools and a sewing machine are 90% of the battle.

You can find hundreds of different style "concho's" on evil bay to dress up your leather.
Old February 3, 2011, 10:24 AM   #32
kameron454ci

well i got my grip done i think it looks great! i dont know why but photo bucket has not worked for me for the last week and the pictures are to big of a file size to upload here what shoul i do?
Old February 3, 2011, 12:16 PM   #33
junkman_01

If you send me the files I will reduce them in Photoshop and send them back to you so you can post them.
Old February 3, 2011, 01:52 PM   #34
kameron454ci

email sent
Old February 3, 2011, 03:09 PM   #35
junkman_01

Photos worked and sent back to you for posting.
Old February 3, 2011, 06:35 PM   #36
kameron454ci

ahh here you go and I just got my kirst this morning works like clockwork straight out of the box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58 2.jpg (8.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 58.jpg (9.4 KB, 43 views)
Old February 3, 2011, 06:40 PM   #37
kameron454ci

all i did was use some off the shelf ebony stain at the hardware six coats i think. I think it looks pretty cash
Old February 3, 2011, 07:11 PM   #38
junkman_01

...and here they are in a more viewable size....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0631(worked).jpg (52.3 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0632(worked).jpg (57.2 KB, 228 views)
Old February 3, 2011, 07:51 PM   #39
kameron454ci

thanks what do you guys think? i should have done a before and after pics
Old February 4, 2011, 03:32 AM   #40
Bill Akins

Looks very nice. I prefer a higher gloss vs the matte finish though. But each to their own.
Old February 4, 2011, 09:23 AM   #41
wogpotter

Nice!
If you want a higher-gloss finish just load 'em up with Pledge, several coats.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”