The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 16, 2019, 12:28 PM   #26
JDBerg

I used to buy S&B and Fiocchi when the local Thornton, CO Cabelas used to put it on sale, since I moved to Cali the closest Cabelas is in Las Vegas @300 miles away. The local Turners Outdoorsman does put S&B on sale but if I have a choice between S&B, Fiocchi, and Blazer Brass, I’ll take the BB.
Old September 16, 2019, 12:39 PM   #27
kenny53

I like S&B ammo, it has always been good and has bang every time.
Old September 16, 2019, 12:40 PM   #28
TunnelRat

I haven't had great luck with Blazer Brass lately, and they used to be my go to. The brass has been dirty to the point my hands are filthy after the range and even the copper jackets are tarnished. It could just be the supplier as I primarily use sgammo these days and did so for the last few cases of Blazer Brass. By contrast Fiocchi has been far cleaner, seemingly hotter (I didn't chrono it), and even cheaper (at least online with certain sales recently). Plus the smaller boxes.

Edit: the Black Packs of Blazer I got actually were pretty clean when I think back on it, though it was a little weaker.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old September 16, 2019, 04:41 PM   #29
Dave T

Speer, Blazer, Lawman, and Federal are loaded with SP primers in their 45 ACP ammunition. S&B has LP primers crimped in place. Swage out the pockets and S&B is some excellent brass to reload.

Dave
Old September 16, 2019, 08:55 PM   #30
Doc Holliday 1950

i've new had a proble or misire with S&B ammo

Doc
Old September 16, 2019, 08:55 PM   #31
wild cat mccane

Really, the question should be what is there a bad factory ammo?

PPU is one of my least fav.

I could be wrong, but I think Vista Outdoors is one of if not the largest manufacturer of ammunition in the world. While parent to Federal and Speer/CCI, it holds the US Lake City manufacturing contract.
Old September 16, 2019, 08:56 PM   #32
chaim

S&B and Fiocchi are my favorite of the cheaper range ammo. I'll sometimes/often buy UMC and WWB, but I find my guns (especially 9mm) run more consistently with the S&B and Fiocchi
Old September 17, 2019, 01:19 AM   #33
scoobysnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Really, the question should be what is there a bad factory ammo?

I could be wrong, but I think Vista Outdoors is one of if not the largest manufacturer of ammunition in the world. While parent to Federal and Speer/CCI, it holds the US Lake City manufacturing contract.
to me, bad would be WWB and Remington, and then Aguila (not counting steel Russian).
Dirty, underpowered, and inconsistent.
Magtech also tends to be dirty and weaker loaded.

S&B and Fiocchi are clean and fairly hot, as is MEN NATO. GECO also tends to be pretty stout.
Yavex seems to be the hottest FMJ loads, probably approaches +P. Quite consistent, too.
Blazer Brass tends to be very soft, good for range use if you're worried about recoil.

PPU is kinda in the middle. I like PPU, GECO and Fiocchi in .32, and love S&B in .45.
Old September 17, 2019, 05:42 AM   #34
OhioGuy

Thousands of rounds downrange without any issue in 9mm. I can't speak to reloading.

Pretty sure Cabela's sells this as their "Herter's" store brand, and I have also had no problems with theirs.
Old September 17, 2019, 01:33 PM   #35
mr bolo

bad ammo

Quote:
wild cat mccane: Really, the question should be what is there a bad factory ammo?

I tried some TULAMMO steel cased .38 Special for my S&W revolver, and noticed it sticks in the cylinder and needs to be tapped out, not good

I noticed the TULAMMO steel cased 7.62x54R also sticks in my M44 Mosin Nagant rifle, probably because of the lacquer coating?

I also tried some MAXX TECH made in BOSNIA .380 & 9mm ammo and had a few misfires from hard primers
Old September 17, 2019, 02:29 PM   #36
Fishbed77

Quote:
PPU is interesting. Their .303 British and 7.5 Swiss seems to perform as well as any other run-of-the-mill rifle ammo (though the 7.5 Swiss can't touch GP11 - which has become unobtanium - for accuracy).

My experience with some of their pistol ammo has been good enough in terms of accuracy and reliability, but it sure is dirty.
Old September 17, 2019, 03:16 PM   #37
JWT

Hoave shot quite a bit of it in 9mm and been very satisfied.
Old September 17, 2019, 05:22 PM   #38
dontcatchmany

Just ordered 500 rounds of 45 acp today.

I have used it frequently in the past in several calibers and never a problem.

My FMJ practice ammo is usually Blazer Brass, S&B, PMC or Fiochii
Old September 17, 2019, 10:59 PM   #39
balin

I find S&B to be good plinking ammo as long as the price is right. I don't like reloading it as the primer pockets are smaller then other brass.
Old September 19, 2019, 07:13 AM   #40
pblanc

A good deal of the brass cased ammunition sold by Academy Sports under the "Monarch" label is made by PPU.

I have had good results with the .223/5.56 rifle ammunition made by PPU whether it has been under the Monarch or PPU badge.

For the most part, the Monarch 9 mm Luger ammunition I have bought from Academy has worked well. A couple of years ago I bought two 50 round boxes of 115 grain 9 mm PPU boxed ammo and every round was underpowered to the point it would not cycle in any of my 9 mm auto-loading pistols.
Old September 19, 2019, 12:08 PM   #41
DaleA

I've a friend that shoots a lot of 10mm S&B because, he says, Cabelas almost always has 10mm S&B and he doesn't see other brands on the shelf there on a regular bases.

I don't know if this means S&B manufactures a lot of "niche" ammo or it's just a Cabelas thing or maybe a local phenomenon.

The stuff works fine for him. (BTW I've told him about the joys of reloading and he always replies he's going to get around to it some day.)
Old September 19, 2019, 08:03 PM   #42
elsancudo

He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
Old September 20, 2019, 08:36 PM   #43
Doc Holliday 1950

RA,

Whenever I can get a good price via AMMOSEEK.COM I always buy S&B
9mm for my Pistols. Never had a misfire & the ammo shoots fairly clean.

This is one of the few NON AMERICAN made ammo I'll buy. I know I might sound prejudiced but American made ammo, IMHO, is the best made out there.
Since I don't reload I'm very careful about what I fire thru my Glocks.

Doc
Old September 22, 2019, 04:17 PM   #44
P5 Guy

I have shot S&B in 7.62x39, 303BRIT, 8mmMauser, 7.62x25 and 9x19 with not one problem.
I even had a case of S&B that was plated steel cased that shot fine.
Yes the primer pockets are tight and reloading needs an extra step to uniform the primer pocket, but one only has to do that chore once. And it may be loaded a bit hotter than the ecno-box ammo from the big box stores.
Old September 25, 2019, 09:59 AM   #45
BillSussman

I can't speak to their factory ammo but they are my go to choice for primers, I have never had one not go bang in the many 1000's I have fired. I have had a few Winchester primers not go bang as well as a few factory loaded Winchester 9mm.
Old September 27, 2019, 04:05 AM   #46
9mm

Malcolm

Wooah way to come out of the woodwork Sir.

Sellier & Bellot ammo is G2G I have seen a lot of reviews online with bulk ammo, they have improved quality since 2012 when I heard mixed reviews on them. I am finding 1000 round cases for $150-$170 for S&B 9mm.
Old October 8, 2019, 12:02 PM   #47
DAKA

Excellent ammo, I've fired THOUSANDS of rounds NO PROBLEMS..
The packaging in smaller boxes is a PLUS.
Old October 27, 2021, 02:40 PM   #48
AwayToTheRange

Not sure if this will give you some insight, but you can see a test here and on the same channel you can see several 9mm Sellier and ballot being takin apart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyw0dLlHbP4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1_ZwzqpYuE
Old October 27, 2021, 04:23 PM   #49
Metric

It's particularly great practice ammo if you have some tightly-sprung pistols. Gives a bit of extra bit of push for a strong, reliable cycle.

In .32acp, S&B is probably my favorite load on the market. Superior to Buffalo Bore +p for energy (based on my own chrono figures).
Old October 28, 2021, 12:51 AM   #50
JDBerg

This thread is 2 years old, dates back to when you could still get S&B ammo. Anyway, S&B worked great in every one of my 9mm guns.