The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 7, 2019, 10:36 PM   #1
Mackie244Bud

New Sig P365 SAS

FYI: Sig is releasing a new P365 SAS (Sig Anti Snag)

Check it out here: Watch the video

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p365-sas.html

It has the Meprolight Flush-Mounted FT Bullseye Fiber-Tritium Night Sight
No front sight and Ported.

https://www.meprolight.com/product/s...eye-sig-sauer/

Looks like a nice addition to the P365 Platform!
Old September 8, 2019, 08:35 AM   #2
sparkyv

I've never had a snagging problem with my original/ standard P365. I'd like to see up close and personal how those sights work, however.
Old September 8, 2019, 08:44 AM   #3
TunnelRat

Same as above, I've never had an issue with the sights on my XL snagging. It's an interesting concept I suppose.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old September 8, 2019, 08:56 AM   #4
Auto5

Nice enough, but seems like an ingenious solution to a non existent problem.
Old September 8, 2019, 09:52 AM   #5
wild cat mccane

My P938 SAS is great because it melted the square sides of the P938. Well worth it.

On this P365 SAS, does nothing to the already good shape of the slide but then it ports the small barrel....bye power.

If all it does is eliminate the sights, you could just rasp or get smaller sights.

Totally not worth it.
Old September 8, 2019, 01:19 PM   #6
smee78

No thanks, its like the Colt without sights, just the gutter on the slide.
Old September 8, 2019, 01:38 PM   #7
HarryB

I find the sights on my P365 outstanding as is. I think the sights on the SAS might be great on a J frame though.
Old September 9, 2019, 05:10 PM   #8
rodfac

Quote:
I've never had a snagging problem with my original/ standard P365. I'd like to see up close and personal how those sights work, however.
Well said, Sparky, I'll 2nd your statement. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old September 9, 2019, 06:08 PM   #9
Bart Noir

The SIG site (yes, pun!) says: "the user can now obtain a crystal clear high-visibility bullseye sight picture at real-word engagement distances faster than ever before"

As others have said, I do wonder how good that works, and what they really mean for actual shooters. Getting reasonable groups at 10 yards but not at 20 yards might not be acceptable.

I will make it a point to check that out in a store, and if I am really lucky maybe I will find one to rent someday.

Bart Noir
Old September 9, 2019, 06:14 PM   #10
Carl the Floor Walker

Big improvement. One of the things I did not like about the Original was the bulky take down lever and slide lock. And for some when testing was problematic. These guns are meant for quick drawing. Glad to see Sig step up to the plate. Bravo to them.

That sight system looks so dang interesting. Hope they do this for the XL.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; September 9, 2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old September 9, 2019, 07:47 PM   #11
TunnelRat

I don't find the slide lock lever or takedown lever that bulky, but that's me.

Old September 9, 2019, 08:58 PM   #12
Carl the Floor Walker

I like the sleeker design. And again, snag free is IMO important. I will not be closed minded like some and make judgements on the sights and the Ported Receiver until I get a chance to actually shoot one. The Sig shot great but was a little snappy, maybe the Porting will actually make for a better shooter? This is not determined yet. Obviously it would seem Sig thinks so.
Regular sights might prove better for fast point and shoot skills, but again, will have to try it out.
I will be looking forward to the reviews of the gun.
Old September 9, 2019, 09:04 PM   #13
TunnelRat

I certainly wouldn't want a design that snags. I haven't found the original design to be one that snags. If people want to go further more power to them.

Old September 9, 2019, 09:16 PM   #14
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I certainly wouldn't want a design that snags. I haven't found the original design to be one that snags. If people want to go further more power to them.

Either way, it will give folks a option.
Old September 9, 2019, 09:20 PM   #15
TunnelRat

I don't disagree. You seem to be commenting as if I'm opposing this thing. I'm really not.

Old September 10, 2019, 07:33 AM   #16
wild cat mccane

So I haven't taken my P365's firing control unit out, but I'm imagining you could change the levers to this take down and slide lock?

If not, all it costs to get these rather smooth levers removed is the stabilizing front sight all handguns/shotguns/rifles benefit from.

It's hard to imagine how this SAS model controls for front lift other than you see the front/top of the slide indicating you're too high...
Old September 10, 2019, 09:10 AM   #17
Carl the Floor Walker

A lot of interesting questions being asked. Muzzle Flash, recoil, sights and on and on. Very interested in seeing the reviews come in and hopefully actually shooting one. Also wondering what the cost will be.
Old September 10, 2019, 09:36 AM   #18
TrueBlue711

Very cool! The P365 was next on my list to buy, but now I'll wait a lil longer for this version to come into circulation.
Old September 10, 2019, 09:51 AM   #19
davidsog

I have never had an issue with snagging with my P365. This looks like almost a step backwards. The sight looks like an easier to acquire guttersnipe which lacks the ability for precision aiming.

The ports will be nice especially for shooters with weak recoil management skills but I am not sure the recessed slide release and lock will be an ergonomic improvement.
Old September 10, 2019, 10:40 AM   #20
Carl the Floor Walker

To be honest, I was not a Big fan of the 365 when I had it at the range. But this new model really has my attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZejFxSZxQio

https://gununiversity.com/sig-p365-sas-review/

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; September 10, 2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old September 10, 2019, 10:43 AM   #21
OhioGuy

Doesn't a ported barrel produce lower muzzle velocities, something you wouldn't generally want from a 3" Barrell whose velocities are already on the low end? Or does it really not make much of a practical difference?

I suppose a standard barrell could be swapped into this slide, so the slide ports just look sporty but don't serve a purpose.

Looking forward to reviews of the new model! If this FT sight can approximate the simplicity of a red dot, but without the bulk, it really would be a truly awesome option for CCW.
Old September 10, 2019, 10:50 AM   #22
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Doesn't a ported barrel produce lower muzzle velocities, something you wouldn't generally want from a 3" Barrell whose velocities are already on the low end? Or does it really not make much of a practical difference?

I suppose a standard barrell could be swapped into this slide, so the slide ports just look sporty but don't serve a purpose.

Looking forward to reviews of the new model! If this FT sight can approximate the simplicity of a red dot, but without the bulk, it really would be a truly awesome option for CCW.
Agree, I never liked or wanted a Red Dot on a Carry gun. I think this new sight is awesome so far. And of course there will be a learning curve. I doubt here will be any sigificant loss of velocities. Just read where they tested a M&P short barrel and only loss 25FPS.
Old September 10, 2019, 11:18 AM   #23
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
Agree, I never liked or wanted a Red Dot on a Carry gun. I think this new sight is awesome so far. And of course there will be a learning curve. I doubt here will be any sigificant loss of velocities. Just read where they tested a M&P short barrel and only loss 25FPS.
I have a micro red dot on my Walther PPS and like it, but the window is always getting covered in lint, moisture from sweat, etc and it gets grungy. I love the functionality but not the implementation. Again if this new type of sight gets me the benefits without the drawbacks, then I'll be hooked for sure.

Does anyone know whether you can use this sight while looking at the target, both eyes open? I think the biggest advantage of the red dot by far is the ability to focus your eyes naturally on the target without parallax problems.
Old September 10, 2019, 11:21 AM   #24
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I have a micro red dot on my Walther PPS and like it, but the window is always getting covered in lint, moisture from sweat, etc and it gets grungy. I love the functionality but not the implementation. Again if this new type of sight gets me the benefits without the drawbacks, then I'll be hooked for sure.

Does anyone know whether you can use this sight while looking at the target, both eyes open? I think the biggest advantage of the red dot by far is the ability to focus your eyes naturally on the target without parallax problems.
Do you not use both eyes open when using iron sights?

I don't see how this will allow the same functionality of a red dot. To me the advantage of the red dot is one focus plane and the ability to superimpose the dot on the target. Maybe I need to rewatch the video but I don't see how a guttersnipe sight allows that.

Old September 10, 2019, 11:40 AM   #25
OhioGuy

I've trained extensively to use both eyes with iron sights can have never achieved much success. Largely why I went to the red dot.