The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 8, 2018, 09:00 AM   #26
Ricklin

That's two of us

Man, I hear you there, I too will purloin that gem!

I keep the sound muted on my PC just to stop the inane videos that pop up when surfing around the web. At least it kills the sound.
Old June 8, 2018, 10:40 AM   #27
Rifletom

It almost sounded like you are describing politicians. Amazing!
I'm referring to briandg, post #18.
Old June 8, 2018, 11:37 AM   #28
briandg

I hope that I can be forgiven for doing most of my reading electronically. A kindle is just like a book, but I can enlarge the font. Try doing that on a paperback.
Old June 8, 2018, 12:03 PM   #29
BBarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
When asked about some shooting & reloading issues a while back, the younger guy said he was doing it the way the internet video said to do it...
I said READ Lee, RCBS, NRA reloading books and it would answer his questions.
I've pretty well reached the point of no longer answering questions that are answered in loading manuals. I certainly don't mind helping new reloaders, but they need to study a reloading manual first. If they're asking simple question that are addressed in the manuals, what else are they missing?

Secondly, bad advice is occasionally given here as well. It's typically addressed, but it doesn't go away, and continues to surface occasionally. Of course that's to be expected since TFL is both internet and social media.
Old June 8, 2018, 12:06 PM   #30
Jim Watson

Those are new to me.
But the first use I ever saw for Loctite was gluing primers in loose pockets, seen in a gunzine before Al Gore invented the internet. I know a fine shooter who does it.

A strange improvisation brought about by economics. Long ago there was a guy with a .38 Super. He did not like the cost of ammo, bullets and brass. But in those days the DCM was selling .45 components to NRA members very cheaply. So he got a surplus .45 barrel and magazine; and a supply of .45 brass. He turned the .45s down to a very rebated rim to fit the Super breechface and was quite happy with the results.
Old June 8, 2018, 12:09 PM   #31
briandg

Quote:
I've pretty well reached the point of no longer answering questions that are answered in loading manuals. I certainly don't mind helping new reloaders, but they need to study a reloading manual first. If they're asking simple question that are addressed in the manuals, what else are they missing?
There is real wisdom in that. I might take that policy up. I believe in education and passing on information, but if someone asks a question, misunderstands the answer, and suffers serious repercussions for ignoring proper advice, I DON'T WANT TO BE PART OF THAT CONVERSATION.

I think that from now on I'm going to be a lot less helpful and in consequence a lot less liable for foolish choices.
Old June 8, 2018, 12:15 PM   #32
USSR

Unfortunately, it's all part of the "instant gratification" mindset. Growing up, I had to wait for a month to pass for my next edition of "Guns and Ammo" and "Shooting Times" to arrive.

Don
Old June 9, 2018, 07:17 PM   #33
JeepHammer

'Instant Gratification' is pie! Love pie.

I told a guy a while back it would take 4-6 weeks for build time & he flipped out!
About two weeks later, after finding out no one else could do the job sooner, and at twice the cost, he came back still complaining and when I told him I was now booked at least two months out on another job, he called me everything in the book and stormed off again...
I didn't take his calls anymore. Once is a bad day, twice makes him an A-hole and I just don't need the work that bad, wasn't like I wasn't busy!
Old June 30, 2018, 09:33 AM   #34
Reggie Perrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
A strange improvisation brought about by economics. Long ago there was a guy with a .38 Super. He did not like the cost of ammo, bullets and brass. But in those days the DCM was selling .45 components to NRA members very cheaply. So he got a surplus .45 barrel and magazine; and a supply of .45 brass. He turned the .45s down to a very rebated rim to fit the Super breechface and was quite happy with the results.
He never fully internalized the concept of "time is money" did he? Or was he retired with nothing better to do?

And the big question, did you- er, I mean he, actually save any money in the end after buying the .45 barrel and magazine so he could use cheaper components?
Old June 30, 2018, 10:12 AM   #35
Wag

For standard reloading, I don't know why you'd want to complicate a process and product that already works just fine the way it is.

--Wag--
Old June 30, 2018, 03:12 PM   #36
willr

Yeah! Just how much can you save by doing such idiotic things!? The value of a used case doesn't compare at all with the possible damage you can do to yourself and your firearms.
willr
Old June 30, 2018, 04:58 PM   #37
RC20

You are attempting to interject logic into this, big mistake. I have to talk my wife down a couple times a week, guys at work who think as well.

Quote:
I hope that I can be forgiven for doing most of my reading electronically. A kindle is just like a book, but I can enlarge the font. Try doing that on a paperback.
You can stand on your head and yoodle (sp) , as long as you read that is what relevant (well an ability to think logically as well).

I have bi-focals for the paperbacks (grin) - I do have plans in the future that I may at least have an electronic reader for.

The human mind can be amazing, both good and bad.

I know some really good people who I can't begin to fathom why they think the way they do on certain aspects.

Years back I had a conversation with a frind who was a Nurse. More or less she kept saying something about germs did not exist (she was xxxxxx religion)
- I finally asked her if that what she really thought. No she said, why would you think that?, I am just being silly.
Well with all due respect, your xxxxx has some beliefs in it that don't jibe with science and I wondered if you just went along with the germ thing to keep your job? She took it well but it never tracked for me.
Wonderful person, intelligent, fun to talk to but the beliefs did not track with well established science in a number of areas.

I did warn my wife about FB years back, she had to try it. After being deluge by a bazillion people she did not know she asked me to make it stop. I did. I gather we are tracked anyway. At least Emma Brehaaa does not email wanting to be friends.

I just refer to it as an ESD (electronic social disease) - share my foot (and other areas higher up)
Old June 30, 2018, 05:44 PM   #38
gwpercle

After watching a few of the internet experts expounding on their reloading techniques, except for a few video's produced by reloading tool companies , powder & bullet manufacturers and Midway USA , those other private internet experts are either idiots or fools. I don't give them the time of day. Video's are the last place you want to get proper reloading information from.
Gary
Old July 1, 2018, 01:17 PM   #39
Metal god

Quote:
Video's are the last place A NEW RELOADER want/s to get proper reloading information from.
There FIFY , If you have the knowledge of reloading or for what ever you're looking for . I find YouTube videos very helpful . For the most part I know in the first minute if the video is likely to give me what I'm looking for . Disassembly and reassembly videos have been priceless for me .

Those videos aren't to different then post on forums really . You always need to do your part to weed the bad stuff out but if you're a complete noob then it's best you do more research then one video before jumping head first into something that can get you or others killed .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 1, 2018, 03:33 PM   #40
RC20

I could not agree more.

While some don't use them, I always felt we were given brains the size we have for a reason.
Old July 1, 2018, 06:42 PM   #41
GTOne

Totally different mentality on social media. Many things I see on fb would not be allowed to stand and be snuffed in short order here and other dedicated loading forums.

There are a lot of folks that buy a manual, go straight to the data and start at max published loads.
Old July 1, 2018, 08:30 PM   #42
hdwhit

Quote:
JeepHammer asked:
Has anyone here tried, or even considered these practices?
The practices you mention in Post #1 are against reason and long-life.
Old July 1, 2018, 10:44 PM   #43
Metal god

Quote:
Totally different mentality on social media. Many things I see on fb would not be allowed to stand and be snuffed in short order here and other dedicated loading forums.
You're probably right , I'm not on any social media sights . Online gun forums are as close to social media as I get . Meaning I actually have zero knowledge of FB or how it works so I likely should have never posted here in the first place How ever I have learned quite a bit by watching random videos online .

There has been a couple times the poster of a video was so wrong I had to comment to set the record straight .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 2, 2018, 01:52 PM   #44
TailGator

There are is some useful information in those media sometimes, but the problem that I see is that a beginner doesn't yet know enough to tell what is good advice and what is dangerous. Heck, there are some ideas and techniques that I read about here that are over my head. I know enough to know what I don't know; not everyone does, or admits it to themselves.
Old July 3, 2018, 06:15 AM   #45
USSR

Let me be the first to suggest taking the Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course offered by the NRA. While most of the guys taking this course are newbies, I have had several who where seasoned reloaders, and even they have gotten something out of the course.

Don