The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 3, 2018, 04:15 PM   #1
jrinne0430

Docs you ask for when selling a firearm

Would like to hear what documents folks here expect from a prospective buyer. For example, I always demand a state ID. I also prefer a carry permit or voter's card however; not everyone has a carry permit and the VA gov restored the voting rights of felons thus, voter's card is irrelevant to weed out the bad.

What docs do you expect, at a minimum, before you sell a firearm?

Last edited by jrinne0430; June 3, 2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old June 3, 2018, 05:08 PM   #2
mehavey

DL to establish age, ID, and address/residence.
CCW to confirm address, and "more than likely" eligibility.

Otherwise FFL Transfer unless personally known.

(Reasonable Man Theory)

Last edited by mehavey; June 3, 2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old June 3, 2018, 05:12 PM   #3
Bimus

People that should not have a gun know it and if they are found with one it is on them .
I ask if they are at least 21 for a hand gun and 18 for a rifle if they look young .
For people I don't know when having a yard sale .

Last edited by Bimus; June 3, 2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old June 3, 2018, 05:54 PM   #4
cjwils

In a few states I believe there might be a legal basis for you to be in trouble if you sell to a prohibited person. At one point I saw a web page that listed such states, but I cannot find that page now.
Old June 3, 2018, 06:09 PM   #5
Buzzcook

Well now, if I want to sell, I just take a gun to a FFL and let them do the paper work.
Old June 3, 2018, 06:12 PM   #6
burrhead

The only docs I care about have pictures of presidents or Franklin on them. That's the only ones I show also.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old June 3, 2018, 06:46 PM   #7
Pahoo

Go through a local FFL

Quote:
Well now, if I want to sell, I just take a gun to a FFL and let them do the paper work.
You can never go wrong going through an FFL. What is required to make these types of transaction, varies from state to state. You local FFL knows or should know all that is required. …..

In Iowa, the county sheriff, issues a "Handgun Buying permit" that costs $5.00 per year. Regardless of what I'm selling within my state, I ask for his buying permit and copy down all the information. They mostly never ask but I always offer a receipt. Buying or selling out of state, I always go through an FFL. My FFL only accepts firearms from another FFL. …..

Be Smart and;

Be Safe !!!
Old June 3, 2018, 07:03 PM   #8
Kvon2

+1 on the FFL unless they're a close friend or family.
Old June 3, 2018, 07:03 PM   #9
laytonj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrhead View Post
The only docs I care about have pictures of presidents or Franklin on them. That's the only ones I show also.
Agreed! In Alabama that is all that is required, unless you know they are prohibited.

Jim
Old June 3, 2018, 07:40 PM   #10
FITASC

Same here; money talks.........a handshake and a "Thank You". Will ask to see a DL, nothing more.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 3, 2018, 07:56 PM   #11
burrhead

Oops, forgot about Hamilton. Hamilton's good too.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old June 3, 2018, 10:03 PM   #12
tony pasley

In North Carolina when selling a handgun you are required the buyer have a pistol purchase permit and valid ID or CCP, and valid ID.
Old June 4, 2018, 02:39 AM   #13
MTT TL

I have followed the same rules since on line sales became a thing. The same whether buying or selling. The other party has two options:

- Meet in the lobby of the local police station (I advise them first), provide ID if buying
- Go to FFL

Robbery through on-line sales are a real threat. A crook would have to be over the top stupid to try a robbery at either one of those locations.
Old June 4, 2018, 09:03 AM   #14
FlyFish

For a private sale, NH law requires that the buyer be either personally known to the seller or provide suitable identification (the law uses the term "clear evidence of identity"). The buyer must also not be a felon.

In practice, most responsible private sellers of handguns ask that the buyer provide their driver's license (for positive ID), along with a state concealed carry license to demonstrate they are not a convicted felon. As we are now a constitutional carry state, a CCL is optional and if the buyer doesn't have one the seller will often require that the sale goes through an FFL.

Personally, I would never either buy or sell any firearm (or anything else of value, for that matter) without an appropriate Bill of Sale, identifying both buyer and seller and the item(s) sold, and signed by both parties. If the other party isn't willing to do that I'm walking.
Old June 4, 2018, 09:21 AM   #15
FITASC

No need for all that info unless LAW requires it (in some states that is a yes).
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 6, 2018, 04:54 PM   #16
scottycoyote

its been awhile since i sold a gun, but i always asked them if they were a resident and legally able to purchase the gun im selling them and its either thru texts or email so i have a written copy
Old June 6, 2018, 06:17 PM   #17
kenny53

DL, CFP, and we do a bill of sale
Old June 6, 2018, 07:00 PM   #18
Don Dayacetah

I ask to see a CCW permit for this state. If he has that, it's as good as it gets, IMHO.
Old July 4, 2018, 11:01 AM   #19
Prof Young

Need FOID in Illinois

Here in the great yet very broken state of Illinois we can't make a private sale without the both buyer and seller having a valid FOID (Firearms Owner IDentification) card. And, the seller is supposed to check with the state police that the buyer's card is good to go at the time of the sale, but that is only if the seller doesn't want to be held responsible for selling to a non-qualified buyer.

So on the one hand it means I can engage in a private sale with another FOID card holder and know that the buyer has had a background check, but it also means the state has a list of people who may own firearms. Oh, and the seller is supposed to keep a record of the sale for ten years. Now that I write that I can't remember where I go that info.

Anyway I used to sell guns via the local "swap and shop" Facebook page, but FB is sitting on that some. I've used ads in local paper too.

Anymore I take them to the nearby gunstore/range and let them sell it on consignment. It helps support that business and they in turn are really good to me when I buy there.

Oh, and occasionally I'll sell a gun at a gun show to a dealer, but that is when/where I get the lowest price. I only do that if it's a cheap gun that I've had a hard time selling elsewhere.

I guess this makes is sound like I sell a lot of guns. There are a handful of guns in my safe that are hunting or teaching tools and those are mostly permanent parts of the collection. But I have a lot of guns I shoot just for the fun of it. When the fun is done I sell those off and buy more fun. Most recently my Taurus PT-22 lost its appeal and went on consignment. I made a list the other day of guns I've shot and then sold off over the last ten years. The total was 42.
Old July 4, 2018, 12:37 PM   #20
5whiskey

I'm in NC too, so I am legally required to see a pistol purchase permit for handguns. That and a driver's license to prove residence. If it's a total stranger i like to do a simple Bill of sale.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old July 4, 2018, 02:16 PM   #21
WV_gunner

Here you can do whatever you want with no paper work. Just don’t become a gun dealer with no paperwork and you’re good to go.
Old July 4, 2018, 02:19 PM   #22
JERRYS.

for somebody I don't know....a driver's license or state issued i.d. card to show state of residency and ccw permit so I know you passed a background check at least once before.
Old July 4, 2018, 06:33 PM   #23
Kirosha

Alabama here, so no law about documentation needed. If I were to sell, I'm good with whatever the buyer feels comfortable with.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
Old July 13, 2018, 02:59 PM   #24
RSKENT

It’s not the law here or anything, but for me to sell you a gun I want to see a picture ID and a CCW.

I just want to see that the pictures on your ID’s match your face.

If you want to sell me a gun, I will happily show you my ID and CCW along with the money.
Old July 13, 2018, 03:47 PM   #25
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony pasley
In North Carolina when selling a handgun you are required the buyer have a pistol purchase permit and valid ID or CCP, and valid ID.
Is that a requirement for the buyer, for the seller, or both? Does NC allow private, face-to-face sales? If so, is it a requirement for private sellers to verify that the buyer has a pistol purchase permit?