The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 3, 2018, 07:59 PM   #1
FloridaGuy

Howa - 6.5 creedmoor usa flag

Just picked one of these up today. The specs are below.

FEATURES
6.5 Creedmoor
24" Heavy Barrel
Threaded Barrel
All Cerakoted Chassis System
Hogue Finger Groove Pistol Grip
LUTH-AR MBA-4 Fully Adjustable Stock
10 Round Detachable Magazine
Nikko Stirling Diamond 30mm 4-16x50 Long Range Scope
Midwest Industries - 3 Chamber Muzzle Brake
6" - 9" Adjustable Bipod
PACKAGE INCLUDES:
Frog Lube - Lubricant Kit
Hard Case

This is my first Howa rifle. Hope I just didn’t wast my money. What does everyone think about this package?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0205057B-EE70-4670-8E0B-E0C4C05FD929.jpeg (47.9 KB, 122 views)

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old June 3, 2018, 08:20 PM   #2
NHSHOOTER

I guess it would depend on how it shoots. What kind of money? IMHO, would prefer all black..
Old June 3, 2018, 08:24 PM   #3
std7mag

Well, since you have a detachable mag, the 6.5 Manbun makes sense.

The Nikko Stirling is ok if your idea of long range is 200 yards.
Don't know what you paid for it, but if YOU think you got a decent deal and are happy with it, that's all that matters.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old June 3, 2018, 08:53 PM   #4
FloridaGuy

NHSOOTER - They guarantee sub MOA at 100 yards right out of the box. I payed $1300 which I think was a good deal. The reason I purchased it was because of the Flag stock. It will fit in with my AR’s because they are red, blue and burnt bronze.

Old June 3, 2018, 09:02 PM   #5
Don Fischer

I wish you hadn't asked. Got to be about the ugliest rifle I have ever seen! :-(
Old June 4, 2018, 12:21 AM   #6
dakota.potts

Will you be taking it out to a local precision rifle match? They have them in Myakka, Okeechobee, and Immokalee
Old June 4, 2018, 05:23 AM   #7
Mr.RevolverGuy

Gosh I so wish I was back in Florida to attend matches safe and fun exactly the way it is supposed to be.

The Howa HCR which this is with a different color scheme is better than the Ruger Precision Rifle (let me go duck and hide for saying that) . Howa makes a fine rifle and in my neck of the woods the HCR is cheaper than the precision. I have found the HCR to be less picky about the ammo it shoots compared to the Ruger.
Old June 4, 2018, 05:24 AM   #8
std7mag

$1,300 !!!
I could do ALOT to a $400 rifle that already shoots 3/4 MOA for that kinda coin!!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old June 4, 2018, 06:13 AM   #9
hooligan1

Std7mag doesn't care for the 6.5 Creedmoor, but Everytime someone post a thread about one, you can rely on a Manbun comment from it.
OP, I think the Howa's is a solid platform for customs and this one is pretty cool, however I would change the glass out to reap all the distance this rifle was built for.
Old June 4, 2018, 12:17 PM   #10
Tallest

I love the patriotism behind a set-up like that... I really do! But as Americans, we've completely forgotten flag etiquette!

With that said...

From what I've heard about Howa, that should be a nice shooter. Enjoy!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old June 4, 2018, 02:30 PM   #11
precision_shooter

It’s just OK, imho. I wouldn’t look to sell my Tikka T3x CTR to get one. It’s like anything else, companies see a niche in the market for a particular style of rifle (long range/precision) and everyone is offering a rifle in that flavor. Tactical stocks or full chassis, bigger detachable mags, muzzle brake to tame recoil from a round that already recoils less than a .308, then slap on the cheapest “long range” scope they can and call it a “package”. The scope on my CTR cost almost as much as the rifle and some would still say it’s not enough. I think it will shoot fine, but you’ll want to upgrade scope fairly soon.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old June 4, 2018, 03:44 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

I wouldn't pay that much, but I do like it.

And, as has been said: If you are willing to pay the price, then it isn't too much.

Plan to ditch that scope, though. It probably won't be satisfactory.

Quote:
I love the patriotism behind a set-up like that... I really do! But as Americans, we've completely forgotten flag etiquette!
I find myself torn when it comes to proper flag etiquette.
I hate most articles of clothing that use the flag in an inappropriate manner, as well as blankets, pillows, doors, yard art, and more...
But I really don't mind it when done on a rifle or (tastefully) on a vehicle.

Flag etiquette matters to me. ...But I sometimes want to bend the rules for certain applications that I like.

...Coming from a man that was kicking himself this morning when he realized he left his flag out over night. (I've been sick, and my flag is illuminated at night; but still...)
Old June 4, 2018, 03:48 PM   #13
disseminator

I have never heard about that scope, but 1300 seems ok for all that stuff.

Enjoy your new rifle.
Old June 4, 2018, 08:03 PM   #14
FloridaGuy

I never heard of the scope before. We will see how it shoots. The longest I will be able to shoot would be 600 yards. That would only happen a couple times a year because it involves a 2 hour dive. Mostly it will be shot at 100 - 200 yards.

I was told by several gun shops today that the Nikko Sterling Scopes are very popular in Europe and are on par with Nikon scopes here in the states. I may have to compare the 2 because I have a similar Nikon scope.

Old June 5, 2018, 08:01 AM   #15
Tallest

FrankenMauser -

I hear what you're saying, I'm definitely not above reproach in this, but I've become more aware, and I hope to do better in the future. I recently attended a funeral with Military rights for an old friend of mine. The flag ceremony was conducted by 6 veterans in their 70's and 80's, and their careful, deliberate and profound respect for the flag struck a chord.

Making it too commonplace makes it familiar, and familiarity doesn't always make for long-term respect. But that is just my perspective, and I don't rush to condemn those whose perspective is different. On this matter at least...

Lest I digress too far from firearms, I do understand the sentiment behind a rifle with the American flag, makes perfect sense. But I'd rather shoot a plain synthetic or walnut stocked rifle at range flying the American flag against a clear blue sky! :-D

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old June 5, 2018, 05:52 PM   #16
Scorch

Quote:
$1,300 !!!
I could do ALOT to a $400 rifle that already shoots 3/4 MOA for that kinda coin!!
Especially when you realize that the same barreled action/scope combo in a Hogue stock sells for $589!! A Nikko Stirling scope costs <$200 and Brownells is selling the barreled actions for <$300. So lemme see. Could I put a $700 chassis on a $300 barreled action and come in under $1300? Hmmmmmm . . .
Old June 13, 2018, 06:24 PM   #17
Nathan

Quote:
I never heard of the scope before. We will see how it shoots. The longest I will be able to shoot would be 600 yards. That would only happen a couple times a year because it involves a 2 hour dive. Mostly it will be shot at 100 - 200 yards.
You might be better off with a Ruger American and a Nikon Black with good mount if that is your budget...
Old June 13, 2018, 07:51 PM   #18
FloridaGuy

Nathan - I already have a RPR with a very good Vortex scope on it. The main reason I am buying this rifle is because I love the look and the use of the symbol of our great country. It may just go in the safe and never even be shot. I have several guns that I purchased because I like the look of them and most have not been shot.