The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 30, 2018, 02:24 PM   #1
Blade37db

Thoughts on pump .357s?

I tried the lever gun thing and just don't like the action (I know that is heresy to some) for a few reasons.
Stumbled upon a pump .357

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sch...-20-round.html

Not cheap, but sure is pretty.
Is the slide action on pistol caliber carbine as good as a good pump shotgun and as reliable (minus short stroking)?
Old May 30, 2018, 02:28 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

They are pretty. I've owned around five, maybe six?, Pedersoli rifles over the last ten years. I almost got the pump you're referring to but stopped short. I read too many reviews of quality problems with this particular gun, and I can tell you from personal experience that Pedersoli is almost impossible to get any customer service from. They have a very limited service set-up in this country and if you have a problem you're going to be very, very disappointed with your gun. I have no ax to grind with Pedersoli, their Sharps replicas are outstanding but some of their other guns are not. Look and research this a bit more before buying. If you do get one, I wish you the best of luck with your new gun.
Old May 30, 2018, 02:31 PM   #3
Scorch

I have heard the Lightning replicas have issues.
Old May 30, 2018, 03:49 PM   #4
AZ sharpshooter

357 rifles in general

I have a Ruger 77/357 bolt action, which I thoroughly enjoy, but I mostly shoot it single shot. Many of the 357 rifles have problems feeding because they have a straight-walled case, which is not conducive to smooth cycling; there is no "play" sending the cartridge into the chamber-little to no tolerance.

My Ruger bolt works OK in that way, but that is all it is, OK. It is not a smooth transition and sometimes the magazine may not rotate properly. I wouldn't want to count on it loading the third round very quickly.

If you are looking for a 357 repeater of some type that works as smooth as a '98 Mauser, you probably won't find it. That said, the 357 rifle is a lot of fun to load for and shoot.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

AZ Sharpshooter
-NRA Lifer
Old May 30, 2018, 05:09 PM   #5
reddog81

That's a nice looking rifle! Did you stumble upon someone that has one for sale, or just the rifle in general. It looks like they're pretty rare. I found some 45's for sale but the .357's appeared to be out of stock most places.

I'd hope that any bullets with a round nose profile would feed fine - RN, RNFP, etc. I'd guess there might be issues with feeding more blunt nosed SWC's and other similar shaped bullets.
Old May 30, 2018, 07:27 PM   #6
bamaranger

Timberwolf

Maybe 10-15 yrs ago, maybe more, IMI (?) marketed a pump .357 they called the Timberwolf. One might be found used.......I don't now if I've ever seen one in the flesh, period. Seems like I've read somewhere that the original Lightning rifles had a durability problem. Maybe modern metallurgy has fixed that.

I'm thinking lever rifle feed problems are not always straight wall case issues, but bullet nose profile issues. The lever reliable rifle first appeared a straight wall case (.44 Henry), and continued with the near straight .44 WCF and .38 WCF as well. My Dad's 70's era M94 fed .44 mag flawlessly, as does my early Marlin in .357. But C.O.A.L was important, as was bullet nose. SWC would usually cause problems. Two modern rifles is not much of a sample pool, but the old Winchesters ran fine by most accounts.
Old May 30, 2018, 07:39 PM   #7
Nanuk

Quote:
Many of the 357 rifles have problems feeding because they have a straight-walled case, which is not conducive to smooth cycling; there is no "play" sending the cartridge into the chamber-little to no tolerance.
My Marlins, a couple Rossi's, my Henry, my Dad's Winchester all feed strait wall cases great. You must have a bad one, or it is the Ruger Magazine. The older Ruger 44's fed fine.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old May 30, 2018, 08:05 PM   #8
44caliberkid

The original Lightenings weren't good, and none of the reproduction have been either. Just a bad design to start with. Someone needs to start with a clean sheet of paper for pistol caliber pump rifles. Might be a wise business move, since the future of semi autos might be in danger. Like the pump action AR's and AK's they have in Australia. I'd start with 44 Magnum/ 45 or 454 size frame first, then a smaller 357/ 9mm frame, if there is a demand.
I think the Timberwolf could have been successful if they had introduced it in 44 first. But I've never seen one, or even a review, maybe other than prototypes they were never produced.
Old May 31, 2018, 09:12 AM   #9
Blade37db

Thanks guys.
I think I'll stay away given the price/performance may not be worth the headaches.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:07 AM   #10
tranders

Quote:
My Marlins, a couple Rossi's, my Henry, my Dad's Winchester all feed strait wall cases great. You must have a bad one, or it is the Ruger Magazine. The older Ruger 44's fed fine.
We have a Ruger 77/44 and it isn't the smoothest feeding bolt gun either.
My Marlin 44 mag lever gun with tube fed magazine is much smoother.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:02 PM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Reading this, a thought bubbled up from the sewer of my mind regarding straight wall cases: Think "pump shotguns".
Old May 31, 2018, 05:16 PM   #12
bamaranger

good thought

Yeah, that's true, pump shotguns are usually the hallmark of reliability.

I managed to think of other pistol caliber pumps.....the Rem 14-1/2 family. No .357 though.
Old May 31, 2018, 06:34 PM   #13
ma96782

For those that didn't know.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Lightning_Carbine

Aloha, Mark
Old May 31, 2018, 07:26 PM   #14
Model12Win

Someone like Ruger needs to get on that.

A nice little alloy frame stainless pump .357 with peeps would make a light, sweet shooter.
Old June 1, 2018, 08:34 AM   #15
GLK

"Someone like Ruger needs to get on that.
A nice little alloy frame stainless pump .357 with peeps would make a light, sweet shooter."

Pretty much my exact same thought after reading this thread.
Old June 2, 2018, 09:33 PM   #16
Ibmikey

My lightning replicas are American Western Arms, I have a standard grade in .45 Colt and a Limited Edition of 500 engraved rifles mine being in .38 special. I have used the .38 at cowboy shoots a number of times and the rifle is deadly accurate and has been quite reliable.
The bad thing is AWA is out of business so no more available. The Lightning is a bit different if you are accustomed to a lever both in loading and operation.
I also purchased a Taurus Lightning and it would not shoot more than a few shots without a malfunction.
Old June 4, 2018, 05:08 PM   #17
geologist

The Israeli IMI Timberwolf is out of production and are rare and kind of collectible here in Canada.

They take down with just a coin, the angle of the stock is adjustable for use of either the irons or an optic. It can only be reloaded with the action open.

I like mine a lot.

It feeds well both .357 magnum and .38 Special and cycles very quickly. Recoil is minimal.

Old June 6, 2018, 05:19 AM   #18
jetinteriorguy

I've always wanted a timberwolf. A couple years ago one came up for sale locally, but I just can't fork out $1800.00 for one. I would have been tempted at a thousand though. So I'll just have to stick with my Henry BBS.
Old June 7, 2018, 07:34 PM   #19
ma96782

BTW......I've seen exactly one (actually a clone) at a local club SASS match.

The old reliable lever actions still rule the roost. From this video, maybe you can see why that is. WARNING....you probably don't want your LIBERAL friends seeing this as they'll want to ban these old guns too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsexKLYtCkI

Aloha, Mark
Old June 7, 2018, 08:15 PM   #20
Rifletom

Wow! She is fast!
Old July 7, 2018, 04:02 PM   #21
rc

I bought a Timberwolf in the mid 90s from a dealer who was the second owner. They shot it a bit and fell out of love, selling it to me for $350 at a gunshow when a new Marlin was $300 or so. At the time there wasn't the fever over banning all semi autos. I've shot the gun and can say a pump 357 is FUN. It is based on the 870 but different. The magazine as mentioned can only be loaded with the pump all the way back. The gun will feed 38s and 357s just fine. It has a generous feed ramp and cases swell at the rear. Never had one blow but always a concern. Marlin levers are not so hard on brass. A 357 rifle is at short range much more powerful than a 223 in terms of impact. 2 liter bottles almost vaporize with hollow points at 1600fps. You can push light constructed bullets fast enough for them to melt in flight with a 357 rifle so soft points are better for these if using 125s over 1500fps. IMI was a bit late to the party in terms of law enforcement transitioning from 357mag to 9mm and 40. With their intended market drying up, they gave up. In today's market however, IMI would be able to sell these as an alternative to AR15s and AKs as a homestead defender, ranch knock about general purpose rifle. The 357 beyond 100 yards is a capable coyote wacker. Sadly, nobody makes a current and modern 357 like the IMI Timberwolf anymore. IMI also made some of these in 44mag. The 357 has a very heavy barrel in deference to the bigger 44 brother. I think only about 10,000 were imported to the states and maybe even Canada so they are extremely rare but do show up for sale from time to time. A nice rifle if you can find one at a reasonable price. It would be great if Remington could reintroduce their model 25 in 327 Federal and 357 Magnum. rc
Old July 8, 2018, 07:05 PM   #22
ms6852

I have a pedersoli sharps 45/70 and the dealer for this rifle told me that the major complaint customers had on the lightening rifles was a cycling issue... and it is throw of the dice as to which rifle will have this problem. He did assure me that he has his own gunsmith that works on them should I ever decide to buy one and had those issue. Again everything I posted is base on heresay.
Old July 10, 2018, 10:20 AM   #23
wachtelhund1

I have an American Western Arms in .45 Colt which functions fine. But I only shoot reloads, 230 grain round nose. I keep the COL to slightly less than recommend specs.