The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 19, 2017, 09:12 AM   #1
PeteyPete

Beretta A300 vs. Winchester SX3

I'm looking for a versatile duck/pheasant/turkey hunting gun and comparing the two. I can get the Beretta for ~$650 and the Winchester for ~$750. The reviews for both guns are overwhelmingly positive and I'm having a tough time deciding. What do you think?
Old March 19, 2017, 12:20 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

There really is no 'VS'. Hunting firearms are all pretty much the same. Mostly a Ford vs Chevy thing.
However, Winchesters advertising mentions reliability and the finish related to crappy weather. Berretta doesn't.
The regular price at Cabela's for a SX3 or an A300 is roughly the same. So you may want to toss a coin and shop around. The Winchester's currently on sale though.
Old March 20, 2017, 12:09 PM   #3
FITASC

Which one fits you the best?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 20, 2017, 02:19 PM   #4
BigJimP

Winchester is owned by Browning ( both owned by FN now )...and the Winchester line of guns...is a little less expensive than the comparable Browning../ if you look at the features they are virtually identical ...same gas system, same choke system, etc...( it looks to me, for the last several years, Browning has been running the shotgun division for FN ).

The Gas system on the Beretta is different...

Both are reliable and solid guns for the money.

Like FITASC said...it comes down to fit / meaning does it hit where you look. I would buy the one with the most adjustability ...does it have shims between receiver and stock to adjust for cast on or off ...or raise or lower the comb a little. Some models come with shims some don't... ( weight, balance, length of pull...etc are all important too )...

The Winchester is probably an alloy receiver -- I don't know about the Beretta. Alloy is lighter.../ in general its not as durable as steel.
Old March 20, 2017, 06:31 PM   #5
Virginian

Now you have the SX4 also. From what I hear it is not an improvement.
Old March 21, 2017, 07:55 AM   #6
98 220 swift

About 10 years ago I went to the gun store to purchase the top of line beretta at the time(cant remember the name). Shouldered it and It was just to bulky for me. The grip was huge(I don't have very big hands) and it was allover a big gun. Tried the SX3 and it felt great lighter trimmer. Just fit me better. A big guy might like the beretta better but for me the SX3 just fits. It has been a very reliable shotgun. I am very hard on it using it for duck hunting. Only complaint is the camo finish wore pretty quick.
Old March 30, 2017, 09:01 PM   #7
cdbeagle

As someone mentioned fit should be the determining factor. I do feel SX3's are better quality but would buy an A300 if it fit better. If fit is the same(not plausible) I'd go SX3 for three reasons:

IME Beretta shotguns have more felt recoil than other gas guns I've shot. Fit surely plays a role but I know other people with the same experience and Beretta's fit them well.

Quality.

Beretta is legendary for their bad customer service.

YMMV.
Old March 30, 2017, 09:05 PM   #8
FITASC

No need to go to Beretta for service when there are several other folks who are authorized to do repair work - Cole's is one of the best.

Felt recoil is purely a fit issue. Actual recoil is a function of weight of the gun and weight and speed of the payload.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 31, 2017, 03:03 AM   #9
cdbeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC
No need to go to Beretta for service when there are several other folks who are authorized to do repair work - Cole's is one of the best.

Felt recoil is purely a fit issue. Actual recoil is a function of weight of the gun and weight and speed of the payload.
I agree that fit is by far what determines felt recoil. I also believe some shotguns, even gas, have more recoil than others even if fit is perfect.

Agree about Cole's too but unless something has changed the warranty is not up to par IMO.