The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 21, 2017, 07:06 PM   #1
jmstr

S&W Model 1012 [turkish from 2006?]- loads?

Hello,

My dad gave me a S&W model 1012 semi-auto shotgun. It was brand new around 2006- give or take. It is of turkish make, and seems to be the same model as the current Weatherby SA-08 [another import].

It has two bushings to adjust the gas system. Supposedly, one of them is for light loads and the other for heavy loads.

I had intense cycling problems with a few different makes of ammo that were 'light' loads: around 1150-1230 fps, 7/8oz to 1oz.

Yet, the use of 1250fps and 1 1/8oz seemed to work reliably.

My question: what is considered a 'normal' light load for a semi-auto 12 guage shotgun?

I have boxes of light [2 3/4dram or lighter] loads for my LC Smith, so my idea of 'light' loads may not be what the makers considered light.

What should I be using as the model of a 'light' load for this shotgun?

What defines the difference between light and heavy?

thanks in advance.
Old January 22, 2017, 04:17 PM   #2
FITASC

1oz or less running 1200 or less would be "normal" light loads. I reload 3/4oz and shoot them in my gas guns with no issues. You might try changing the bushings if you want to shoot light loads.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa