The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 30, 2016, 07:49 PM   #1
scroadkill

Shot Recorder APP vs Pocket Pro II

So my friends and I shoot some steel - drawing, changing mags, moving around - all the fun stuff. We had been using Royer Sports android app called Shot Recorder. It is free, and I thought it did a fair job. It would occasionally fail to record a whole string, and miss the occasional shot mid string.

ok- my average draw from surrender to round on steel at 10 yards is 0.80s w/ this app - and personal best at 0.59s.

Last weekend I was nailing some bill drill fighting for < 2.00s. Im sure I had it 3 times, but the stupid app wouldn't catch it, so monday I ordered a Pocket Pro II.
This afternoon I put 100 rounds down range running through my normal routine - drawx6, vice-pres, SHO/WHO, el pres and the new timer worked perfectly except it seems to add a fat 0.70s to my par time on my draws compared to the app. my par draw was 1.50s on 6-7 attempts.

all my mechanics seemed normal and relaxed and focused.

anyone explain to me whats going on..
Old May 30, 2016, 09:08 PM   #2
WVsig

Quote:
So my friends and I shoot some steel - drawing, changing mags, moving around - all the fun stuff. We had been using Royer Sports android app called Shot Recorder. It is free, and I thought it did a fair job. It would occasionally fail to record a whole string, and miss the occasional shot mid string.

ok- my average draw from surrender to round on steel at 10 yards is 0.80s w/ this app - and personal best at 0.59s.

Last weekend I was nailing some bill drill fighting for < 2.00s. Im sure I had it 3 times, but the stupid app wouldn't catch it, so monday I ordered a Pocket Pro II.
This afternoon I put 100 rounds down range running through my normal routine - drawx6, vice-pres, SHO/WHO, el pres and the new timer worked perfectly except it seems to add a fat 0.70s to my par time on my draws compared to the app. my par draw was 1.50s on 6-7 attempts.

all my mechanics seemed normal and relaxed and focused.

anyone explain to me whats going on..
If I had to guess the app was worth exactly what you paid for it.

I would trust the Pocket Pro II times vs the free app. YMMV
Old May 31, 2016, 07:33 AM   #3
Don P

As stated cell phones don't cut it. I have seen and recorded stages with phones and tablets and the sound does not match what is on screen when reviewing the video. Sound always lags behind.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 31, 2016, 10:01 PM   #4
9x45

cell phones are not shot timers, they are cell phones. Your times were completely bogus, no USPSA Grand Master on the planet can do a first shot time sub .6 seconds. If you think that's not real, go to a local USPSA match and see what your times are.
Old June 2, 2016, 07:55 AM   #5
WVsig

Shannon Smith clocking in at about .77 avg from a surrender draw. 100% agree with 9x45. He actually missed pushing the speed to .70. I would disregard any times recorded by that cell phone timer unless you are faster than championship winning Grandmaster.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z90y4j8O-DU
Old June 2, 2016, 08:42 AM   #6
Jim Watson

I used a phone app just enough to be sure I would benefit from buying a real timer for my own use.
Now that I have a timer, it is very nice for practice and to carry to matches in case the range's timer quits.
Old June 2, 2016, 06:35 PM   #7
scroadkill

copy that.. I have work to do on my draw. I'm mostly running a cz sp01 shadow in 9mm I got 6 months ago. I think a better holster may help. I'm using an uncle mike side kick padded nylon thing. it rides a bit high and too close to my body and feels sticky coming out of the nylon. I'm thinking something that kicks out just a bit and rides below the belt - not on it may help get the gun free and moving up a bit faster.

I can split on double taps 0.18s-0.20s at 10 yards on 2/3rds sized idpa steel running el presidente/mozambique/bill type drills and pretty consistent 1.85s mag changes as recorded by both timers but the phone app must lag behind on starting the timer on the first shot after the beep making the draw times a bit off. The app also occasionally misses the second shot of a double tap like it was too soon after the shot so it must be an echo and is ignored. My first 100 rounds with the Pocket Pro II went fine - no problems at all.