The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 18, 2001, 08:23 PM   #1
CoyDog

I put 25 rounds of Brenneke slugs through my Benelli M1 at the range today, and found that I had some unusual fouling in the barrel. It was the first 6-8 inches forward of the chamber. There was some leading which cleaned up easily, but the remaining stuff (plastic?) proved very difficult to remove. Solvent seemed to have little effect, and scrubbing with a brass brush didn't faze it. I finally got most--but not all--of it out by pulling a Boresnake through about 20 times.

Does anyone know what this stuff is and how to get rid of it? Appreciate any suggestions.
CoyDog
Old April 19, 2001, 03:25 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Severe bbl dreck gets the 4/0 steel wool wrapped around a dowel chucked up in a variable speed drill routine.A bit of Hoppe's #9 helps.

The key here is elbow grease. The good news, I bet that bbl has not been shot extensively. If kept clean, it'll polish out a bit as it's fired.
Old April 19, 2001, 10:54 AM   #3
Icopy

I just cleaned my 870P last night. I only fired 5 rounds fof KO slugs which use the same slug as yours. It was filthy. I just let the solvent soak for awhile and it did the trick.
Old April 19, 2001, 05:58 PM   #4
CoyDog

I appreciate the suggestions. Yes, this is a new barrel with less than 100 rounds through it. Now I just have to roll up my sleeves and get to it.
Thanks, CoyDog
Old April 19, 2001, 07:30 PM   #5
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

4/0 steel wool or a copper chore boy (pot scrubber) will remove anything in the bore. Wrap a chunk around an old bore brush and lubricate with oil or solvent.

Giz
Old May 2, 2001, 09:34 PM   #6
Jeff, CA

Jumping in a little late here

I finally got the lead out of my barrel with the steel wool-on brush trick, with the added help of some JB compound on the steel wool. Don't try this indoors!

Is there any way to get all that horrible crap out of the brush? I picked at it for a while, then declared that brush the "dedicated steel wool and JB brush" and bought a fresh one for the light work.

Old May 2, 2001, 11:24 PM   #7
Ledbetter

a DRILL?

Wo.

I get everything out of my barrel by

1. pushing Hoppes' #9 wet patches stretched over a 12 gauge brush through until most of the gunk is out.

2. Then I brush vigourously.

3. Then I repeat step 1.

4. Then I clean the rest of the gun(s). Or just wait as long as I can.

5. Then I do step 2., followed by step 1., followed by a dry patch and an oily patch when clean.

On the other hand, I'd bet on Dave McC's advice over mine.

Regards

Old May 3, 2001, 09:23 AM   #8
Jeff, CA

Just to clarify: I didn't use a drill; I used a Dewey rod and muscle power.

Old May 4, 2001, 04:22 PM   #9
Paochow

Glad I read this thread, I was begining to wonder if my barrel was scratched, since I couldn't get the "plastic" residue out. Passing the boresnake thru a few dozen times took care of it.
Old May 4, 2001, 04:44 PM   #10
uglygun

When the plastic fouling gets really bad I use one of those "tornado" brushes with a hoppesNo9 soaked brush over it, those tornado brushes are good at breaking away the plastic from the surface of the barrel bore. The way the tornado brush fits the barrel and the way it's made it really does wonders. I find the bristle brushes aren't quite up to the task or take longer if you're dealing with that plastic residue crap, for when the plastic is finally gone the way that the tornado brush is designed it won't let you get down into the actual crevices of the bore.

For the surface where the stubborn crap is I use a tornado brush, when the stubborn crap is gone I use a bristle brush where it's pointy wire tips can actually reach down into the creavices of the bore.