The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 18, 2001, 12:14 PM   #1
General Tso

Well, I just picked up a Mossberg 590A1. After futzing over what to buy I decided to kill two birds with one stone and satisfy my curiosity about the 590's and Ghost Ring sights all in one shot.

It's a 20" parkerized model with the GR sights and synthetic stocks. Right out of the box it was immediately apparent that this was no regular 500 or even a earlier commercial 590. This thing is heavy! The barrel is indeed beefed up over previous version and seems to be very solidly built. The safety and trigger guard on the 590A1 are metal, thus eliminating one of the gripes about the regular 500's and 590's.

After cleaning the cosmoline off the park'ed parts I did some shouldering drills to get used to the sights and balance. What was immediately apparent was that the stock was too long for me. Now I consider myself a pretty average size guy sitting at 5'11" and couldn't help wonder who the heck Mossberg is making these things for, 6'4" state troopers and Marines? Luckily, my dad had the same problem with his Mossy 500 and had shortened the stock by about 1" before deciding to put a side folder on his gun. As it happened I had his old reduced length stock handy and swapped out my factory stock for it. The fit is much better now with the shorter stock. At first it appeared almost too short but after practicing with it a but I think it's going to work out well, especially if I do any shooting with a jacket on.

Overall, aside from the stock issue, I'm favorably impressed with my initial inspection. The gun is very solidly built, much more so than a stock 500 and I like the Ghost Ring set up a lot. I'm curious to see too what effect the heavy barrel has on recoil and follow up shots. Next step is range testing! I'll probably stock up on some Rem #6 game loads for my break in period although I may try some slugs and buck just to see what they do for now. Assuming the weather cooperates I'll hit the range with it Sunday.

Old April 18, 2001, 12:52 PM   #2
Ledbetter

Congratulations

I have the non-ghost ring model 20" 590A1 (model 51660).

Be sure to pick up a bayonet and sheath from cheaperthandirt.com. As well as a supply of shells. Get the slugs before you go, you'll be glad you did.

Oh, and take the bayonet off before you hit the trap range.

Regards,

Ledbetter
Old April 18, 2001, 01:36 PM   #3
General Tso

I have an M-7 bayonet and M10 sheath from my AR's and was already playing with it on the 590 . I don't know that I have any real need for a bayonet on a shotgun but just the fact that it's so un-PC is amusement value enough. I'll check out CTD too. I'd like to keep my existing bayonet with my AR so I was already thinking of snagging another one for the 590.

The way I shoot skeet I may need the bayonet to finish them off when they hit the ground!
Old April 18, 2001, 01:56 PM   #4
Lightsped

I have the same gun as you. Mine is a 590A1 with GR. Mine too has a very long stock, but it isn't a huge deal for me. I took it out to the range last week and shot some #7 and some .00 buck. Very strong gun. I look forward to shooting it more.

Old April 18, 2001, 02:09 PM   #5
TCW

With the recent complaints about Remington QC, I'm seriously considering this gun. Besides, the 590 comes equiped with everything I want (the 870 PM does not even come close...no synthetic stock, no mag extension, no ghost ring sights..)

Still undecided, though.
Old April 18, 2001, 03:39 PM   #6
Big Bear

Just curious, Lightsped, but did you get your M590A1 from Sure Shot Products, Inc? The reason I'm asking is your picture is the same one they're using on gunsamerica.com. Their price is about the best I've seen around at $415. I'm thinking about ordering one from them.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/imgview.c...mber=976055590
Old April 18, 2001, 03:43 PM   #7
General Tso

Mine came in at $389 NIB, although it was $22 out the door after tax, State instacheck fees etc.

I saw one at a gun show last month for $379 but the dealer who had it is kind of an a** so I figured it was worth paying $10 at my local shop .

Old April 18, 2001, 06:02 PM   #8
TCW

Anyone know what the 870P can do that the 590 can't? I don't...that's why I'm asking.

The 590 is stout as heck, but is it as reliable and does it have the longevity as the 870?
Old April 18, 2001, 07:15 PM   #9
Lightsped

BigBear, yes the pic shown on Gunsamerica is of my exact shotgun. I requested he make some pics for me before I bought it and he did. I guess he uses the pics of mine for his other 590A1 guns as well. Yes, Sure Shot Products is where I got mine. The gun came new, never fired and very complete. He packed it really well too. I recommend you give Sure Shot Products a try.
Old April 18, 2001, 09:39 PM   #10
cuerno de chivo

Points over an 870P:

590A1 has better factory ghost ring sights.

Too long:

You can get it with a Bantam stock. I've got a cut down M600 stock on mine. Any wood 12ga M500 stock ought to work. You just need a saw.
Old April 19, 2001, 12:30 AM   #11
Destructo6

The 590A1 can mount a bayonet. The shock value is priceless.
Old April 19, 2001, 03:53 AM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats on your new toy, General. Considering recent discussions here, I'll forgive you for not getting an 870(G). As for breakin, those game loads will work, but I recommend load research as soon as you've got a couple hundred rounds through it. Also remember buck and slugs rarely shoot to the same POA, so zero with your choice and then find out where the other one impacts.

A coupla things....

First,"Serious" shotguns should be heavy. Their use environment includes adrenaline boost,and the weight aids control during rapid fire.They also need to be sturdy and sturdy hardly ever comes light.

For illustration, ever fire a Thompson full auto? The 9 lb weight makes it very controllable, even at 450 RPM.

I'm a bit surprised at the long stock."Serious" shotguns get shot more like rifles, and IME, should be stocked like them also. For big ol' me, that works out to a factory length stock. If I were designing/building a new shotgun for social work, it would have maybe a 13" pull.

And TCW, until the 590 series puts in 50 years or so of mostly glitch free performance, we won't know how it stacks up to the 870. In fairness, it's probably a good'un, tho that plastic Mossy safety needs an upgrade,IMO.
Old April 19, 2001, 06:59 AM   #13
Lightsped

Since the thread was originally about the 590A1, I just thought I would state that the 590A1 does have the metal safety and trigger guard. Yep, the 500 and 590 have plastic safeties, but lots of people like plastic in their guns nowadays.....
Old April 19, 2001, 09:48 AM   #14
cuerno de chivo

plastic safety

like the 870P is a better shotgun with more metal than a 870 express.

the 5090a1 is a better shotgun with more metal than a 500 or 590. it has a metal safety.

check out the remington quality thread.
Old April 19, 2001, 10:12 AM   #15
General Tso

I already have an 870 Dave! I have an 18" HD model with a full choke installed. I'll probably still keep that as my primary house gun. 4+1 oughta be good enough and I have a Side Saddle I can throw on the gun if I really want more ammo handy.

Your thoughts mirror my own on weight. My short tube 870 seems almost petite compared to the 590A1 so I'm real curious to see the difference on the range. I have indeed fired a Thompason before and your exactly right on controllability. It was the first full auto I'd ever fired and I had no problems pulling nice controlled 2-3rd bursts out of it and making hits out to 50m. Kinda a pig to haul around but it more than made up for it in handling. Hopefully the same theory will hold true on the 590A1 too.

As to the stock, I thought it was odd too. Especially for a military/police type gun that's going to be used by a wide range of people and more likely than not by those wearing body armor, flak jackets and/or LBE. I saw referance to Mossberg mentioning a shorter tactical stock as a feature on thier newer shotguns in some article or add recently and after seeing the 500 and the 590A1's firsthand I'm not surprised. It's long enough to be immediatly noticeable and a bit awkward. The shorter stock I put on improved handling immensly. It sit's right about 13 1/2" in length too I believe.

As to durability, how long has the 590 been around now? Or the 500 for that matter since the 590's based on that? Not as long as the 870 obviously but they aren't exactly new kids on the block either. About the only consistant criticism I have heard is on the plastic safety and the 590A1 addresses that issue. As to reliability, don't forget that the 590 was the only shotgun to meet or exceed MilSpec protocals during the last round of shotgun testing in the 80's. Even the 870 didn't pass .

I dunno, this will be the first 590 I've used but I've owned 500's, Winchester 1300's and Rem 870's and frankly I've found all of them to be good, reliable guns. I suspect a lot of what you like ends up coming down to personal preferences, pet peeves, and your individual experiences with a particular model.

Old April 19, 2001, 10:34 AM   #16
Icopy

Congrats on the 590A1. I sold my 590 to upgrade to the A1 version. To me, the weight isn't much different than the stock 590 and my 870 Police. Regarding the stock length, I agree with you. It's way too long. I'm 5'11, 185 pounds and not fat by any means. And I have a hard time shouldering the gun. I'll have to order the shorter stock sometime soon. A piece of advice though. Mine needed to cycle a box of ammo to break in the action. It had a habit of not feeding a round from the mag tube at first. It functions perfectly now. My friend's 500 had the same problem until he fired it. Well, have fun with your new weapon.
Old April 21, 2001, 06:23 AM   #17
dick w. holliday

The Bayonet is handy when the gun rack is full-just stick in the ground....Dick.....Almost forgot--when shooting skeet with shotgun--military helmet is a must....if there is a dispute about whether a piece fell off the target--the guy with bayonet is always right...Dick
Old April 22, 2001, 02:56 AM   #18
utvols

OK what is the big difference between a 590 and a 590 a1? Do metal safties really make that big of a difference?
Old April 22, 2001, 09:49 AM   #19
Lightsped

590A1 has a thicker heavy duty barrel, metal safety, and metal trigger guard. There may be something else but I can't remember right off hand.....
Old April 22, 2001, 02:01 PM   #20
uglygun

TCW, to get a look at all the Remington Police 870s goto this link, there are a couple to be had with synthetic stocks, 11 to be exact
http://www.remingtonle.com/shotgun/870p.htm

The Remington quality control issue is the most valid reason for looking to get a Mossberg instead of a Remington. I lucked out, my Police 870 turned out great and prints slugs pretty much right dead even along the vertical line of aim, no having to hold left or right, all I've got to do is account for the rainbow like trajectory of the rifled slug.
Old April 23, 2001, 01:20 AM   #21
TCW

Thanks Uglygun,

I have tried numerous dealers in the San Diego area and none can get ahold of the 20" IC choke rifle-sight parkerized w/synthetic stock...none of their suppliers have them. Have you seen them advertised anywhere on the net?

TCW
Old April 23, 2001, 02:24 AM   #22
uglygun

Hmmm, nope nowhere on the net. I got mine from a local dealer who's son I grew up with, he special ordered it for me and I can't for the life of me remember which distributor he used.

Have you tried getting a Shotgun News or a GunList yet? Perhaps in there you could kick up a distributor or dealer who's got the model you're looking for?

The model I went for was a 870 20inch with wood stock and normal bead front sight. All their smooth bores come as an ImpCyl choke from what they say on their webpage.

It sure didn't stay stock for long, take a gander
http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/870P.html