The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 20, 2017, 06:14 PM   #1
Blindstitch

Lee Hand Press

I have been using a Lee Hand Press for 4 or so years now and I decided to do something dumb while converting some brass and it almost did it but long story short I cracked the breech lock side.

In a hail Mary I emailed Lee over the weekend and in the process of late night infomercials I ordered a new hand press. Then Monday morning Lee emailed me back with a link to replacement parts for free plus shipping. Today both the parts and new press came.

I'm very happy with Lee's service and products even when I was at fault.

The question is what to do with the Lee Hand Press Junk part now. By the way they also sent me a second replacement part in case I have another dumb moment.

Last edited by Blindstitch; September 21, 2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old September 20, 2017, 07:48 PM   #2
TJB101

Hold on to it and used for a dedicated decapping setup
Old September 20, 2017, 08:07 PM   #3
Mobuck

Why are you calling it "junk"?
Old September 20, 2017, 08:07 PM   #4
berettaprofessor

That’s why I bought a Lee hand press. To be able to sit anywhere and decap.
Old September 20, 2017, 08:15 PM   #5
Blindstitch

Quote:
Why are you calling it "junk"?
The only thing that is junk is the broken cast piece. This is probably the best tool for a person who doesn't have space for a bench.

On the other hand I did just Ebay a RCBS JR2 on the cheap for swaging. Unfortunately I also had to make a Reese hitch bracket to do it outside off the back of my truck.
Old September 20, 2017, 08:23 PM   #6
TruthTellers

Keep everything. Having a second press never hurts.

I also have a hand press and I like decapping and crimping on it, but resizing is tough, bullet seating requires a third hand, and you can't use a powder measure on the press.

That's what you sacrifice for the portability of the press tho and I'm happy that Lee makes the hand press cuz nobody else does.
Old September 20, 2017, 10:49 PM   #7
HiBC

Ihave purchased more than one. Given a few away. IMO,they are a value priced,useful tool.

Your post indicates you tried something unusual,the press broke,and Lee customer service took good care of you.

The news media trend today is to use a sensational click bait title that misrepresents the truth just to get attention.

It may seem normal,but,do we really have to?

A person just skimming titles might conclude Lee sells junk.

If you can edit your title,you might try " Lee stands behind their product" or some similar representation of the truth.

The way this strikes me,you are not treating Lee the way they treated you.
Old September 21, 2017, 03:54 AM   #8
DaleA

I agree with HiBC, the title of your thread sounds like you're going to rip Lee when Lee has been pretty good to you.
Old September 21, 2017, 04:24 AM   #9
Blindstitch

I don't think Lee will be crying over my post. I've made plenty of positive reviews on their products. And I've defended them against the people who say Blue, Green, Orange, the other Red are the only products worth having.

Most of my reloading stuff is made by Lee and the only problem I really have with their product is needing more room to buy more of their stuff. Ok that's not true. I don't like the wack a mole reloaders yet I have them in 30-30, 300 win mag, 12 gauge and 2 in 30-06. One thing I really like is Lee is located maybe 45 miles away so ordering from them is really fast.
Old September 21, 2017, 04:56 AM   #10
Bayou

For me, this hand press has greatest value in allowing me to decap on the couch....

Bayou

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"
Old September 21, 2017, 06:07 AM   #11
Salmoneye

The Lee hand press is the only press I have ever needed...I may want others at times, but the hand press has served me exceptionally well since the late 80's...

I have used it for everything from .38 S&W to .45-70 and .30-06...

I have even used it for reforming from .30-30 to .357 Herrett...

Still going strong...
Old September 21, 2017, 09:59 AM   #12
hagar

I have the same experience, been using the hand press since 1990, feel no need to change. I actually have 3 of them.

Probably loaded over 50,000 rounds of 5.56 on mine. And a bunch of 7.62, 30/06 and even the occasional 340 Weatherby.
Old September 21, 2017, 10:50 AM   #13
hounddawg

I use the Lee hand press for a couple of things.

Load development at the range along with the $20 Lee Perfect powder throw, which actually handles short cut stick better than the higher priced metal powder throw that came with my APL progressive

Along the same lines I will tweak in bullet seating at the range. Just load 50 at the bench with bullets seated to touch the lands at home then seat them deeper when at the range to find the ideal jump

Decapping at the range. Then you toss the decapped brass into a old mayo jar with a bit of soapy water to soak. Really helps with primer pockets coming clean

have to agree with others thoughts on the poorly thought out title however. My first thought before I read the thread was this was just another troll thread. Almost just skipped reading it altogether
Old September 21, 2017, 02:01 PM   #14
lee n. field

Quote:
Lee Hand Press Junk
Thread didn't go where I thought it would from the title.

The Hand Press was the only press I used for a long while. Not real easy to full length size rifle brass. The ergonomics are a little sucky. Other than that, no complaints. Very very handy.

Quote:
Then Monday morning Lee emailed me back with a link to replacement parts for free plus shipping.
Very nice policy of theirs. Minor parts for free, you just pay shipping. I've used it a few times since I learned of it.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 21, 2017, 04:31 PM   #15
Pond, James Pond

Since buying it, almost all my reloading has been with the hand-press: .38Spl, .44Mag, .223, .308. They all got the treatment!
Old September 21, 2017, 06:44 PM   #16
hounddawg

you can reload anywhere with one, just add bullets, powder and primers

Old September 21, 2017, 07:05 PM   #17
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddawg View Post
you can reload anywhere with one, just add bullets, powder and primers

What the...

explain this setup hounddawg.
Old September 21, 2017, 07:56 PM   #18
hounddawg

poor mans reloading kit in a box for range testing. Version 1.0, when cold weather comes I am going to improve things but keep same basic concept. It 's just a simple wood box with a bi fold door that folds from the top with plexiglass windows in them

In the rear there is a small holder for 4 dies and a hook for a powder pan/funnel. Next is the Lee powder throw. I have found it is more precise than the metal throws that that cost 5 times as much, go figure. Then a RCBS 750 battery operated scale.

The big black thing is a homemade powder trickler. You can set the throw low and trickle it up with the box closed. The trickler was made from some 2 inch PVC and epoxied to a stand made from some scrap 2 x 4 so the pipe would clear the pan. The pipe itself is a piece of hollow aluminum arrow I found by a trail. I put a couple of O rings to hold it laterally. Mr Dremel made the slot for the powder to get in and a small piece of dowel blocks the end and extends to the exterior of the box.

Next is the case for the $15 dollar ebay electronic calipers. Primer seater of your choice andsome Nver Dul for range cleaning the carbon from necks along with a tin of Imperial tops it off.

Throw a charge with the Lee, put it on the scale, Close the doors if it is windy and trickle to weight. Seat the bullet with the hand press.

You can reload anywhere/anytime with this. benchloaders use a fancier version with arbor presses and Harrel powder throws. You can put one of these together for between 100 and 200 bucks easily

Last edited by hounddawg; September 21, 2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old September 21, 2017, 08:03 PM   #19
Blindstitch

Interesting little box Hounddawg.

Those Lee Perfect Powder measures are pretty handy too. I have two of them and wouldn't regret buying a third. I'm with the Ron Popeil way. Set it and forget it. Got one for 6.5 arisaka and another for 30-06.
Old September 21, 2017, 08:12 PM   #20
hounddawg

Quote:
I have two of them and wouldn't regret buying a third. I'm with the Ron Popeil way. Set it and forget it. Got one for 6.5 arisaka and another for 30-06.
I like that idea, I am simplifying down to 2 main calibers for my bolt guns myself and will only range load for the bolt guns.
Old September 22, 2017, 12:44 AM   #21
Geezerbiker

I bought one 20+ years ago when I lived in an apartment and didn't have a place to bolt down my rockchucker. These days I mostly use it with a universal decapping die so I can decap a lot of cases while watching the tube...

Tony
Old September 22, 2017, 02:24 AM   #22
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
smart man's reloading kit in a box for range testing.
Fixed it for you!

I think this is a great idea. I've had the same idea but never applied it (not needed to).

In my case it would have been a hand-press with a seating die, a beam scale, trickler and then primed cases, powder and bullets. I'd only use it if I'd done a load ladder and then felt I needed to explore one of the charges further or another load was worth trying.

As I said, it's not been necessary so far.
Old September 22, 2017, 04:56 AM   #23
jetinteriorguy

That is a pretty ingenious setup there HD. Got me thinking now.
Old September 27, 2017, 01:20 PM   #24
HiBC

Charging with powder ,checking fill level,and seating bullets require focus .No distractions.

But I agree,other tedious ops can be done in leisurely fashion ,couch,back porch,or catfishing.

Decapping . Then tumble.

Its not the greatest press for sizing,but it works anywhere..Then I cob tumble the lube off.
RamPrime will work,low volume,but I prefer the RCBS hand priming tool.

Easy as eating pistachios.You can do it at the lake.

Its nice sitting down at the bench with a few hundred primed brass if you are a single stage loader.
Charging and seating is the fun part,and its easier to give your best focus to those operations when you are fresh.
And there is something about my fake Krag carbine that makes me want a hand tool.A Lyman 310 would be OK,but the Lee has advantages.
Old September 27, 2017, 02:00 PM   #25
Blindstitch

Finally found a small gripe about the Lee hand press. The original one I bought has a flush button to release the breech lock. When I saw the new one I thought that little button extension would make it easier to depress which it does. While Using the RCBS locks the button doesn't come back up all the way. So I pulled the old button and put it in the new press.

Doesn't seem to interfere with the Lee nut lock. Glad I have two now.