The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 4, 2012, 06:08 PM   #1
308Gunner

Refinishing AR15 Mags

So, I'm planning on refinishing a couple of 20 rd preban mags I have. I'm trying to decide what the best way to go. I've used Duracoat before, and had decent results with it, but it was on a polymer gun stock, so that was kind of hard to screw up. However, metal is a different ballgame, and I'm especially worried about parts that interface with the inside of the rifle. I don't want to be picking paint flecks out of the barrel and receiver forever. Binding is also a concern.

I don't have access to blasting, or any prep work outside of what I can do with sandpaper.

I am open to the idea of bake-on finishes.

I'm leaning towards Duracoat or Alumahyde II finish. If anyone has experience with these, let me know how they stand up on a mag. I've also seen folks saying that the curing and durability of these finishes can be improved with baking; if so, how long and what temp?

Also looking at how well this would work, since I'm planning on just making it black anyway; http://shop.bluewonder.us/products/B..._Kit-12-0.html

Also open to a finishing service I could send them out to if someone knows of a place that doesn't charge, say, more than $25/magazine.

Any input is appreciated!

— George Mason
Old July 7, 2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Mac's!

Many of the Aluminum mags had a surface conversion process done to them under whatever finish was on the surface. Alodine was common. It made the Aluminum look yellowish. Any refinishing that you do to them, will require surface preparation to look good and be durable. Abrasive blasting is the best method. Yes, you can sand them with fine sand paper but that's pretty labor intensive. $25 a mag for refinishing by a pro is pretty expensive, even if it does include return shipping! Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com