The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 2, 2012, 02:28 PM   #1
jcools

C&B revolvers for cowboy shooting ???

Hello, I have a Pietta 1851 conferderate navy 44.This gun shoots great! I've never shot "Cowboy action" before.But want to get into it this summer.I'm thinking of getting another one (w/ the shorter barrel 5-1/2").From what I read the "open top" revolvers are more accurrate and have better balance. But the the ones w/ a top strap are more durable.And I like the way the cylender can be changed on the top strap models.What do you guy's use?Should I get one of each or stick w/ the same?Thanks
Old February 2, 2012, 07:32 PM   #2
Hellgate

That's like asking "What kind of car should I buy?" If you already have a 44 Navy then get another one and you'll have a nice pair. I have a pair of just about everything. Lots of pairs. If you are shooting brass framed guns, stick to 20 grains powder and the ball. I have both Colt and Remington style guns. I like 'em all. You want to be sure the guns function flawlessly (pretty much) before going to any matches and get used to a routine for loading. The cylinder change feature is highly over rated on the Remingtons. Just get a nice flask that holds a lot of powder and a 20gr spout. You may also want to get a third gun for use as a spare in case of breakage or for any reload on the clock stages. I always take 3 or 4 revolvers to a two gun match. I've had two guns break hand springs during the same match once.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old February 2, 2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Crunchy Frog

I have to pause for a moment to pity my friends in colder climes to have to wait for the Spring thaw to emerge from their caves or igloos to enjoy outdoor activities. [pausing]

OK. Get thee to a local cowboy club and try it out. Contact the local match director and let them know you are interested, whether you have two guns, one gun, no guns (like yours truly when I shot my first match); I bet you will be warmly welcomed.

Most SASS affiliated cowboy clubs shoot two revolvers, a rifle and a shotgun in matches. Cap and ball revolvers put you in the Frontiersman category. You will also see folks shooting black powder cartridges as well as modern smokeless cartridges. Everyone plays well together

We have a couple of guys in my club who shoot the cap and ball revolvers on a fairly regular basis. Not the fastest time but big time style points.
Old February 2, 2012, 11:27 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

What Hellgate said. My favorites are a pair of '61 Navies.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 3, 2012, 12:48 AM   #5
Hellgate

What Mr. Frog said. Also you can use two hands on the pistols if you want and shoot with the black powder cartridge folks or shoot one handed and be with the Frontiersmen.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old February 3, 2012, 01:11 AM   #6
jcools

Thanks Guy's. I think I will get another 44 Navy,to have a matching pair.I do think I'm going to get the 1 w/ a 5-1/2" barrel.From what I saw online You want 1 w/ a shorter barrel for cross draw.
Old February 3, 2012, 10:31 AM   #7
Noz

The cross draw is a personal preference. You must be aware of the problems involved with breaking the 170 coming from a cross draw holster. I threw mine away and went to a straight drop on the weak side to get away from the cross draw hassle.

I, like the above, carry 2 pair of pistols every where I go. Mine are of the Pietta 1860 Army style.
Old February 3, 2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Hawg

Use a cross draw and you pretty much have to do the cross draw dance.