The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 26, 2004, 09:42 PM   #1
hooboy

Action for a budget custom rifle

Can any one recommend a budget action such as the Howa or Daly? If so is there a reliable online source for them? I am considering building a 6.5-284 for hunting purposes and recreational target work.
Old December 26, 2004, 10:53 PM   #2
Jim Watson

No such thing as a budget custom rifle unless you can do all the work yourself.

That said, I'd use a Howa action. It is a Sako derivative while the Daly is a Mauser.

I don't know where to get one, though. Strip down a second hand rifle?
Old December 26, 2004, 11:53 PM   #3
cntryboy1289

Fac

Look up gunsandammo.net. They have several of the VZ24 as well as other mauser actions. Shotgun News is another excellent source as well as Numerich. I like the vz24 personally. You can get the newer mauser by using the Charles Daily, but you will be paying about as much as you can buy a very good Savage rifle to use one. The only thing you get for the extra money is a Mauser without the thumb slot. I like that idea, but it isn't worth the extra $300 to get it. I use a one piece scope base on mine which helps to strengten the action a little. I haven't had any problems with the rifles I have built. A good reciever, barrel and stock with all the trimmings will run you around $400. For this money, you end up with the stock and barrel you want and not a thin profiled barrel and cheap stock the manufacturers put out for the same money.
Old December 27, 2004, 08:19 AM   #4
dfaugh

for cheap and good

Most any "98 style" large ring military Mauser action...Have built one (all work done by me) on a '93(small ring), and am starting another on VZ-24 action. The VZ-24 is considered better by most, the one I've got has a REALLY smooth action. The Turks are good, but use a small ring thread on the barrel, so barrel selection is more limited, if you buy one already threaded. Since the .284 case has a .473 rebated rim(same as 8x57 or 30-06), no major modifications are needed to the bolt face, but because its "fatter" you might need to modify the magazine a little for proper feeding. Also, will probably only be able to get 4 in the mag, as opposed to usual 5. Not a big deal. many will tell you that you can buy a rifle for less than building up a Mauser, which is sorta true, but then its not a "custom" rifle, and a properly (re)built Mauser can do most anything as well or better than many high-dollar rifles. And if you do some or all of the work yourself, and "scrounge" parts from auction sites, etc. can build good one really cheap.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old December 27, 2004, 09:06 PM   #5
Lazy D

How much are you looking to spend on the action?

You can buy a Remington ADL at Wal-mart or Academy for about $340.00. Take the barrel and stock and list them for sale here or on an auction sight and you will end up with a little over $200 in the brand new action. Remingtons are hard to beat. I just bought a NIB Rem BDL Stainless Synthetic in 300SAUM for just over $400.00. I am using it for a custom job. I'll have a magnum action (short) for about $300 once I part out the stuff I don't need. Good luck
Old December 28, 2004, 04:48 PM   #6
Clemson

The only reason to build a 6.5x284 is to fit the cartridge into a short action. A Sako or a Remington in the appropriate action length would be my choice. If you want to use a Mauser or a Howa, do yourself a favor and make the rifle up in something like a 6.5x57 or a 6.5-06. That way you avoid the high cost of the .284 brass, and you don't give up magazine capacity. On top of that, the .284 case is a bear to get to feed in a Mauser action. It can be done, but it takes someone who knows what he is doing on the feed rails.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old January 20, 2005, 05:26 PM   #7
Harry Bonar

re-rifle

Jim Watson is right on!
Old January 26, 2005, 07:53 PM   #8
Jseime

savage

savage has reintroduced the stevens name in rifles and as far as i know they are selling them through wal-mart they should be cheap or i dont see anything wrong with the daly mauser. the mauser is considered by some to be the best military bolt in history. also instead of the 6.5-284 i've heard great things about the .260 rem and its factory