The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 25, 2017, 12:45 AM   #1
Sequins

Just got my new 92FS and took it to the range

Hello friends!

I had 92FS I picked up used years ago and despite really enjoying the gun I wound up trading it off. The thinking at the time was that I could always get another one later. Well, that day finally came and I picked up a brand new 92FS! I selected a regular Italian 92FS with the 15rd standard magazines, truly the most standard 92FS possible. The black composite grips it came with seemed perfectly functional but I think the natural rosewood grips I chose are a much more handsome complement to this Italian beauty.

I love the open slide and lately I've really started to favor fixed-sight weapons so I really like that too. Here's a photo of the 92FS next to my GP100 from my range trip this afternoon:

I was firing Blazer Brass 124gr 9mm rounds and this target shows my first magazine (which was aimed at the center target) at 10 yards, and then my second magazine slow-fired in single action mode aimed at the 7 from the 7-ring just below the "neck" of the target. Those three holes are a full 15 rounds! I think I accidentally started aiming at my first hole instead of the 7 and that's why I have a second pattern on the same string. I guess it shoots a little bit high to the right but that's okay, I'll drift the rear sight ever so slightly and just be aware of the small elevation compensation that is necessary.

And then here is one last target firing two magazines somewhat rapidly. I had about 2-3 seconds per shot for my cadence and I had the DA trigger for the first shot of each magazine (I did not do a speed reload drill and instead simply started firing from hammer-down on each magazine)

I must say I am glad I have another Beretta and I am extremely pleased with the accuracy and function of this weapon. I got through 150 rounds without a single malfunction. The gun came pretty wet from the factory so I felt confident firing it straight out of the box, and what you're seeing are the results. Really can't say enough good things about Beretta at the moment, and I just love how those nice dark natural rosewood grips look against the bruniton finish!
Old September 25, 2017, 05:36 AM   #2
1goodshot

Looks like a keeper
I love the Berettas
Old September 25, 2017, 05:51 AM   #3
tsillik

Love the grips! And the pistol. terry
Old September 25, 2017, 06:59 AM   #4
wild cat mccane

Unfluted GP100-I personally don't care for the looks of the GP100 (or the trigger on the few I've owned). However, credit for the unique run.
Old September 25, 2017, 09:40 AM   #5
OhioGuy

Love that model, though it's designed for people with larger hands than mine!
Old September 25, 2017, 10:16 AM   #6
adamBomb

I just picked up a 92FS last week and put 200 rounds through it immediately. Great gun - my first DA/SA and I really like it so far. I just ordered a few 17 round factory mags, hoping to take the gun to the range again once they come in the mail.
Old September 25, 2017, 12:53 PM   #7
Sequins

@Ohio Guy: would you believe it's barely big enough for me? If I don't wear gloves to slightly fatten my palms I sometimes run my trigger finger into my thumbs on trigger pulls, messing up my shots. I've got disproportionately long fingers.

@adam: I just love picking up a gun that's accurate and reliable right out of the box from the factory. It's what I hope for in every gun I purchase and the 92fs is a total success in that regard.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my grips and the Gp100. I really like that unfluted cylinder.
Old September 25, 2017, 01:54 PM   #8
TailGator

Congrats. The big Berettas are some of my favorite guns for both shooting and for looks. The grips are sharp looking, too.
Old September 25, 2017, 05:35 PM   #9
tallball

Good job! I love those big Berettas!
Old September 25, 2017, 06:16 PM   #10
Danoobie

Life is just too short for oogly guns. Very nice grips.
Also, nice grain on the grips of that GP100. Is that
Oak?
Old September 25, 2017, 07:28 PM   #11
Sequins

Yeah it sure is- it's "Finer" grade oak from Hogue. There was an unfluted run from TALO that came with the grips too, and all i had to do was add some firesights and I was in business. I like light grips on my stainless and dark grips on my blued/ parkerized / black guns. Oak or rosewood are certainly my preferred, although I got a deal on some goncalo alves which ride on my SP101 and they're decent too. Luckily for me the grooves fit my hand pretty good, although I'd usually prefer not to have grooves and instead rely on checkering as grooves are very hit or miss. Maybe I'll post a thread in the revolvers section next trip I take, I sure do love my revolvers as well.

Back to the 92fs for a minute- does anyone have a line on cheap 15rd factory mags, or should I just suck it up at $30/mag on midway?
Old September 25, 2017, 07:37 PM   #12
Eazyeach

My local Cabela's has 92 mags for $19.99
Old September 25, 2017, 09:25 PM   #13
kmw1954

Very nice. Have a PT92C here that is my fav.
Old September 26, 2017, 11:08 AM   #14
Model12Win

Very interesting. Many do not have good things to say about the Berettas, siting ergonomics, size, and long-term maintenance as marks against the pistol.

I really don't get it and think they are among the most comfortable and for sure better looking pistols I've owned and fired. I have an M9 and a 92A1 and like them a great deal.
Old September 29, 2017, 06:33 PM   #15
Bart Noir

Dillon still sells M92 magazines from MecGar. You save a few bucks over that $30 price and get 18 rounds. These are top-of-the-line magazines.

MecGar at Dillon Products

Bart Noir
Old September 29, 2017, 11:25 PM   #16
Sequins

Thanks for the tip Bart. I kinda like the classic aspect of the 15rd parkerized beretta factory mags more though. I mostly got this 92FS because it's such an iconic weapon and I guess I just think the "standard" magazines are part of that classic cachet. I might consider that if I don't find a decent deal here sooner or later though.

The 92 pattern seems to be on a lot of peoples minds lately judging by how many threads I'm seeing around about them. Maybe it's because it just got cycled out for the P320 (which is why I wanted one)

And Model12 I'm a lucky guy when it comes to the guns many consider too large. I have very large hands and exceptionally long fingers. Long pulls on big guns like the 92FS actually work great for me. I can't really work pocket guns very well and have really awkward trigger pulls on them though so it's all tradeoffs I guess.
Old October 1, 2017, 01:52 AM   #17
JoeSixpack

I 2nd the mec-gar 18's.. they are "THE" mag to get.. quality built, holds a mighty 18 rounds.

I wont' buy anything else for my 92's
Old October 1, 2017, 03:28 AM   #18
ROCK6

I need to pick up another Beretta. I found a used (excellent shape and new springs) Centurion model that my son has permanently borrowed. The problem after 25+years of service, I have several holsters, magazines, and other accessories...and no pistol. I need to start looking for another deal

The Beretta 92F series aren't may favorite, but I have nothing but compliments for a handgun that has served me well. Sure, it's bigger than most and I don't care for the type/location of the safety mechanism. Still, it's pretty accurate, has always been reliable for me, and just simply works.

ROCK6
Old October 1, 2017, 04:12 AM   #19
JoeSixpack

If you just want a plain jane I've seen some Italy made 92fs for 450 recently, check gun.deals
Old October 3, 2017, 10:40 AM   #20
FairWarning

The 92FS is one of the most naturally easy to shoot pistols I've ever used, up there with my Hi Power and P7. Being very sexy and iconic doesn't hurt either. And I prefer the Italian version, even if only for sentimental reasons. It's certainly at least the equal of the standard US versions.
Old October 3, 2017, 10:45 AM   #21
FairWarning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSixPack
I 2nd the mec-gar 18's.. they are "THE" mag to get.. quality built, holds a mighty 18 rounds.

I wont' buy anything else for my 92's
Indeed, they are supremely reliable and hold 18 rds flush, what's not to love?!
Old October 3, 2017, 10:50 AM   #22
FairWarning

Although I love my classic Italian, I also want to pickup up a M9A3 at some point, but apparently the street price for those is around $1000!

Will have to be less than that and in black before I pull the trigger, but I will eventually get one. They have much slimmer grips, which is good news for those with smaller hands. I have large hands and no problem with the originals, although the M9A3 is definitely an improvement as you'd expect given all that has been learned since the '70s....
Old October 3, 2017, 01:31 PM   #23
gnystrom

Funny thing about those 92's. Personally I think their looks are very unappealing BUT, every time I see one come into the range where I work, the shooter, male or female, seems to shoot them very accurately.
Old October 3, 2017, 02:06 PM   #24
adamBomb

Quote:
Indeed, they are supremely reliable and hold 18 rds flush, what's not to love?!
I just picked up some 17 rounders for my 92fs, didnt realize these 18 rounders were quality. I will have to get some. As a general rule I only use factory mags with my weapons unless I hear otherwise about a specific one

Quote:
Personally I think their looks are very unappealing
I think its one of the nicest looking pistols...then again I grew up wanting one as a kid so I think that makes me pretty biased
Old October 3, 2017, 05:21 PM   #25
FairWarning

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamBomb
I just picked up some 17 rounders for my 92fs, didnt realize these 18 rounders were quality. I will have to get some. As a general rule I only use factory mags with my weapons unless I hear otherwise about a specific one
Mec-gar makes many OEM mags for major manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamBomb
I think its one of the nicest looking pistols...then again I grew up wanting one as a kid so I think that makes me pretty biased
Pistols are weapons, and need only look formidable to be beautiful in my eyes. There is no doubt 92s are mean looking! They are beautiful like a wolf rather than a golden retriever.

Hollywood can't get enough of them, as they have probably been prominently displayed in more action movies than almost any other single model since they were introduced, and especially after they were adopted by the US Armed Forces.