The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 10, 2013, 12:59 AM   #1
ZVP

I'm addicted!

I just got two new guns a cool Upland style 20 Ga Double and a brand newtop of the line Sidelever air rifle but do you know what the first gun going in the shooting bag is? Right, a .44 BLack Powder Revolver!
I just got a sweet S&W Nickled Model 60 and what do you think will fire a shot before any of em? Right again, that BP .44!
Why?
Cause it relaxes me and sets a slower pace up for the rest of my shooting day! The nerves settle down as I load each chamber.
YYeeaa I am hooked!
BPDave
Old February 10, 2013, 02:53 AM   #2
Beagle333

Its a very enjoyable kinda addition, ain't it!.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 10, 2013, 04:33 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

Yep....

This is pretty much fun.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:01 AM   #4
LeadZinger

Best thing....

..going, and better yet, it is still a legal addiction.
Old February 10, 2013, 12:39 PM   #5
deerslayer303

Indeed. Too much fun! I love it. Don't get me wrong, I still like to fire the new fangled cartridges too , but they see alot less range time than the smokers do! I like everything about it, the making lube, casting roundball, takeing em apart and reassembling, and even stinking up the kitchen when cleaning em!
Old February 10, 2013, 07:24 PM   #6
BirchOrr

ZVP

Yes sir, BP isn't for everyone but there are those who absolutely LOVE it!

Guys who get bit by this bug are tinkerers. They enjoy taking guns apart and cleaning them as much as shooting them... (well almost)! Something about that smell/smoke buning your nose. To tell the truth I admire these guys more than the type that shoot smokless and doesn't clean them afterward, just puts em away.

I had a guy here today shooting BP pistols and he'd never fired one before. (he does have BP long-guns though) He LOVED IT!!! Of course though, it sure helped that all my stuff worked flawlessly without any problems.

After shooting every pistol I own, I made a big batch of biscuits and sausage gravy and I went to cleaning. He jumped on my laptop and went to searching for a BP pistol! LOL!!! Way cool. He's bit.

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old February 10, 2013, 10:30 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

Admitting that you have an addiction is the fist step to recovery . . . .

Ha Ha Ha! LOL! Rolling on the floor! Sorry . . .there is NO CURE for this addiction!!! Just sit back and enjoy it!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 10, 2013, 10:49 PM   #8
OutlawJoseyWales

I totally agree, it's not for everybody, but I like it so much better than just "paper punchin" as normal. I think the historical aspect is just cool. I even enjoy how much more difficult it is to actually make one of these old "smoke poles" work. Shooting BP side by side with those new fangled cartridge guns, I have to say that BP is just more fun.
OJW
Old February 10, 2013, 11:54 PM   #9
BirchOrr

^^^

Quote:
I even enjoy how much more difficult it is to actually make one of these old "smoke poles" work.
Indeed.

I only hunt with a BP longun and pistol. Never had a misfire when it counted. Had my fair share punching paper. One of the reasons we practice is and know we've eliminated every potential problem possible... not that it won't happen even when we do everything right.

Can you imagine... back in the day... your very life depending on your C&B revolver firing in any weather and in the confusion and haste of reloading in battle? I believe we can.

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old February 11, 2013, 06:40 PM   #10
OutlawJoseyWales

How true Birch,
however, the alternative to a, then, state of the art, amazingly high tech for it's day, 6 shot percussion cap revolver was what? A single shot pistol, a flintlock, or a knife, stick and rock combo?
I'm amazed frankly by looking at these things and thinking that they were essentially designed and built in the late 1840's. Pretty amazing work for its day.

I'm with you though, it's wonderful fun for sure.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:54 PM   #11
Rigmarol

The only thing you had going for you in a fire fight and having to reload was that the other guy was probably doing the same thing behind his rock.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:13 PM   #12
Doc Hoy

I get a little up tight...

...When I hear someone call it a hobby.

You don't see that on this forum very much at all.

I don't see it as a hobby. It is more than that.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:03 PM   #13
North East Redneck

^^^^^ +2 Hobby, hell no. Obsession is more like it. If I only I had more money and the wife would understand the addiction.......
Old February 11, 2013, 09:22 PM   #14
BirchOrr

The history of advancements in gun technology have always facinated me. The guy who had the most technologically advanced, superior weapon usually won. History shows us this.

Doc, this is way more than a hobby. Guys who love BP are a different breed of cat. I suppose there is a psychological profile for us. We could be labeled as "gun nuts" by those who have no idea what BP is or what it's about. We're certainly no threat to anyone. I'd much rather do this... than play on a pool league or on a bowling team.

Taking a nice deer with a BP pistol or long-gun (iron sights) is close to the same as taking the same with bow and arrow or crossbow. Pistol, up close. Bow, up close. Crossbow more distance. Long-gun, more distance. In-line a bit better but still plenty of things that can go wrong. The animal has a chance to escape. I love all the above and choose to spend my time with such like-minded individuals.

I believe the guys here are ethical and embrace the values of being what I think of as "true Americans".

Gentlemen, I'm honored to be in your presence.

Birch
Old February 13, 2013, 06:42 PM   #15
North East Redneck

Birch, well stated. You said a lot there.
Old February 13, 2013, 07:21 PM   #16
10851Man

I'm pretty disciplined....I collect only as many as I can carry at once...
Old February 13, 2013, 07:36 PM   #17
robhof

robhof

10851, I hear ya, I started carrying a back pack to shows, just in case the hands are full too early.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:47 PM   #18
BirchOrr

N. E. R.

Thank ya kindly sir.

Birch
Old February 14, 2013, 01:25 AM   #19
Doc Hoy

The words....

..."Passion" and "calling" come to mind.

For us, on this forum, an alternative might be..."way of life"

It is quite possible, no...it is very likely, that we, as Americans are unique among global cultures transcending history as "brothers in arms".

I have witnessed Isreali's who go on the Friday night outing with the family in Haifa with the Uzi as present a companion as Mom's pocketbook. I have seen the AK-47 in Somalia used to fortify the efforts of gunmen in Mogadishu to steal U.N. rice as often as the armed farmers in the interior east of Kismayu used it to protect the legitimate mango, papaya, and melon plantations. I know Haitians and Grenadians hopeless in their unarmed oppresson. I have seen Tommy guns in Viet Nam and M14s and 1911s boarding Sudanese merchantmen in the Persian Gulf.

Yet we, the descendants of the noble experiment of democracy, are unique in answering the call to arms to win and then to defend our freedom. We tore a nation from England at Yorktown, then preserved our sovereign rights on the decks of the Constitution.

How royal was the "long rifle"? How essential was the "Peacemaker"? How integral was the ".22"? What assault was excuted with the 30-40 Krag or the M1?

No....We alone "The Fair Americans" know the spirit of the gun, a thread woven into the fabric of our identity.

It is to us; "Airborne", the Green Mountain Boys, The 60th Rifles, The Seventh, PBRs, "Recon" and "Air Cav", "Saratoga Battle Group" "Stryker" to preserve the heritage.

Hobby...No....I don't think so.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:46 AM   #20
deerslayer303

^^^ Wow! Awesome Doc! Well Said
Old February 14, 2013, 03:29 PM   #21
BirchOrr

Yes sir Doc

... I read your post several times. You nailed it for sure. I've never heard it stated better. Bravo!

Birch
Old February 14, 2013, 03:47 PM   #22
10851Man

Here is something that I said to a co-worker during a recent political conversation. I posted it on my Facebook page and though it fitting to post it here:

People ask me if I am Democrat or Republican and to them I say the following, "I am neither...for the very nature of politics, and its associated parties, lend themselves to treachery, the perversion of truth and deception. Therefore, I cannot, in good conscience, subscribe to either party blindly. Rather still, I consider myself a pro-constitutionalist..."

Ya, I really do talk like that...
Old February 14, 2013, 04:21 PM   #23
OutlawJoseyWales

that might be why your location is stated as "High Desert Mountains CA."

There's not alot of room for people with good sense when it comes to politics.
OJW
Old February 15, 2013, 12:29 AM   #24
Andyspiros

OJW

Couldn't have said it better myself....wise words indeed.
Old February 15, 2013, 12:46 PM   #25
10851Man

I try to tone it down a little, but I am pretty outspoken...