The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 3, 1999, 09:17 PM   #1
zip

ok hopefuly i got you attn. heres my problem i would like to start reloading on a linited basis and im on a limited budgit for this sort of thing so i need to know what eqepment i'll need what i can get for the least money that will still provide a reliable prduct ect.most of the reloading will be .223 long range shooting

------------------
oneshotonekill
Old October 3, 1999, 09:32 PM   #2
GreybeardB

zip
Buy RCB'S Rock Chucker Kit, three or four manuals ( & read them )

Buy Lee dies & equipment.

WW748, H-blc2, R-7 powders

CCI or Win primers

Hornady 40 to 68 gr bullets

Neck size only ( if not using a autoloader )

Don't point the empty firearm at anything you don't want dead !

------------------
Ralph in In.

Old October 4, 1999, 12:35 AM   #3
Reddog

Lee has the most inexpensive line of loading tools. They're not the best, but serviceable and inexpensive. Lee dies are excellent. Reddog
Old October 4, 1999, 01:04 AM   #4
zip

with the lee system if i got one of there challenger press kits , which is challenger press ,ram prime, powder funnel, case sizing lube, and i think dies with shellholder,powder dipper and load data what eles would i need if i went with this

------------------
oneshotonekill
Old October 4, 1999, 07:36 AM   #5

Brass, Bullets, Primers, Powder, And some books. I reccommend "The ABC's of reloading", I think it's a DBI book that gets updated every few years.

------------------
TJS
Old October 4, 1999, 11:58 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

You might consider going to a gunshow and looking for a good used "C"-type press. And dies, for that matter. Some folks have moved up to bigger and better equipment, and there's nothing wrong with used stuff. How do you wear out a press?

With used dies, dis-assemble and look for rust or scratches.

Used scales are generally okay, if they have no obvious signs of maltreatment. Same for used powder measures...

Some of my dies are over 50 years old. How used can you get? They work fine.

FWIW, Art
Old October 5, 1999, 08:36 PM   #7
Grayfox

Probably the best way to go is to buy one of the starter kits that many companies offer. They generally include the press, scale, manual, lube & pad and several small accesories. Some will come with dies and some won't. You can also get deluxe kits that include a powder measure and a better scale.
I bought one of the RCBS Rockchucker kits used many years ago and still load all my ammo on it.
Old October 7, 1999, 08:09 PM   #8
Grayfox

Zip, If you really want to get started on a budget, the October Midway catalog has a LEE starter kit on sale for $67.99. You can check it out in the catalog or go to www.midayusa.com go to products- view product catalog- page 6. You will need the Adobe Acrobat reader to see it, but you can download that from the main page.