The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 5, 2021, 02:52 PM   #51
44 AMP
Staff

Congratulations, always good to hear when something everyone says is junk works well.

Your gun looks different from the one I have, mine is nickeled, has wood grips, and the safety is a small tab that moves fore and aft, not at all like the one in the picture. Clearly some changes were made during the production life of the pistol.

Sometimes, the only thing a "junk" gun needs is some proper TLC (especially lube).

I once bought a Stoeger Luger .22LR that the shop had for sale at about 2/3 the usual price. Said they tried to use it as a range rental and all it would do is constantly jam. I bought it, anyway.

Took it home and put a mag through it, and sure enough, jamm-o-matic...
Then, I oiled it...and it ran like a sewing machine.

Just me, but I still wouldn't carry that Jennings with a round in the chamber. Other than that, since it runs well, I see no issues
Old March 5, 2021, 02:56 PM   #52
Alan0354

115 round with 3 jams, That's bad!!! I made my guns going through hundreds of rounds without a single problem.

My cheap Beretta 950BS are so much better. over 2000 rounds between the three, only occasionally FTE with the aluminum casing of CCI Brazer. That was resolved by just lightly polishing the chamber, then it's 100% reliability. This is what I call good. And 950 is cheap also.

Last edited by Alan0354; March 5, 2021 at 03:37 PM.
Old March 5, 2021, 04:55 PM   #53
Kapusta

"My cheap Beretta 950BS are so much better". Sure it is. And another "expert" here who says he paid more for a different pistol will say HIS is "better". OP said he picked it up as something to play around with on the range, not for self defense. Get off your high horse. I had one of those Jennnings back when I was in LE and picked up several more for other officers as a pocket gun. I didn't have a problem with mine and theirs worked fine as well. Didn't pick it up to run thousands of rounds through. It served it's purpose and didn't break the bank. Not everyone has $$$$ to spend on the latest, greatest mouse trap. And banging on a 1911 just shows your limited experience,
Old March 5, 2021, 08:20 PM   #54
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
"My cheap Beretta 950BS are so much better". Sure it is. And another "expert" here who says he paid more for a different pistol will say HIS is "better". OP said he picked it up as something to play around with on the range, not for self defense. Get off your high horse. I had one of those Jennnings back when I was in LE and picked up several more for other officers as a pocket gun. I didn't have a problem with mine and theirs worked fine as well. Didn't pick it up to run thousands of rounds through. It served it's purpose and didn't break the bank. Not everyone has $$$$ to spend on the latest, greatest mouse trap. And banging on a 1911 just shows your limited experience,
You ever tried a Beretta 950BS? They are not expensive, I have 3.

Did you read my post on the first page that I actually had one and I torn it apart to make my comments?
Old March 5, 2021, 08:24 PM   #55
FunGramps

Never buy a little Jennings. Or even a big one.
Old March 5, 2021, 09:22 PM   #56
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post

Your gun looks different from the one I have, mine is nickeled, has wood grips, and the safety is a small tab that moves fore and aft, not at all like the one in the picture. Clearly some changes were made during the production life of the pistol.
same for the Jennings P22 I had (except mine was chromed) and the nickeled Raven P25. my chromed Davis P32 had an up and down safety that was but a mere nub.
Old March 5, 2021, 10:53 PM   #57
FunGramps

This is a great synopsis on the internet, which I totally agree with.

"People also ask
Are Jennings Firearms good?
These companies made inexpensive, low quality firearms that used to be derisively termed as “Saturday Night specials.” Jennings have a zinc frame, a poor quality barrel and components which wear very quickly. Its accuracy is substandard, it frequently jams and fails to feed and it cannot be used with +P ammunition."
Old March 6, 2021, 12:00 AM   #58
Shadow9mm

alan0354
Dude just stop. You are just coming off as a high pressure salesman, or an annoying kid. Just dissing on the the ops new gun without offering any help or insight other than "my gun is better" is not cool. If it's a range toy and the op likes it who cares, to each their own. Stop bashing...

I for one have always thought it would be cool to have a little Jennings or raven as a range toy, despite their reputation. They will be collectors items some day if they aren't allready.
Old March 6, 2021, 12:53 AM   #59
Alan0354

Again, read post 6 in the first page, I own the Jennings, look at the pictures. read the post. You own a Jennings?
Old March 6, 2021, 11:14 AM   #60
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
Again, read post 6 in the first page, I own the Jennings, look at the pictures. read the post. You own a Jennings?
Again. He is aware of the potential issues, he is still happy with it, and it's just a range toy. You said what you had to say, stop trying to beat the OP and everyone else over the head with your bad experience like a petulant child.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; March 6, 2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old March 6, 2021, 01:21 PM   #61
JohnKSa
Staff

I think that's enough for this one.
Old March 6, 2021, 01:37 PM   #62
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354
Because it's dangerous. Not just the money. You think you carry it out to protect youself, then it jams. Some times, you just make a mistake, you wasted say $60dollars, get over it. You don't want to be dead right.
If you follow this forum at all, the OP (Prof Young) owns multiple firearms. I'm pretty sure he didn't buy the Jennings as his one-and-only self-defense pistol.

There's a guy semi-local to me that I used to encounter almost every Saturday when hanging out at the local gun shop. His nickname is "Saturday Night John" because his name is John and he collects the cheap guns like Jennings, Bryco, Jiminez, etc. People who buy these are often people who literally can't afford $50 more for a Beretta that they've never heard of and wouldn't have any idea where to find.

As for the metal -- it's basically Zamak. Hi Points are also Zamak. Hi Points are ugly and heavy and clunky, but they work. Many of the .22 caliber versions of "name" centerfire pistols have Zamak frames and slides.

Bottom line: You had a Jennings, You didn't like it. You have made your point, so now kindly allow people who have not yet related their experiences an opportunity to do so. You can't talk Prof Young out of buying it, because he has already done so. There is nothing to be gained by your continuing to beat a dead horse.
Jeepaholic
Closed Thread