The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 2016, 07:40 PM   #1
brasscollector

surplus 30-06 questions

Been hot n humid the past week or so and I have been inside going through things, cleaning, etc. Came across about 25 or so surplus 30-06 rounds that I'm sure I got in the deal with my M1. Thought about pulling them down but sealed and crimped, berdan primed cases are going to be a one-time thing for me anyway. I did gently shake a couple of them and can hear the powder rattle around inside.

Would this still be safe to shoot? I can attest to the last, oh, 6 years or so they've been in climate-controlled storage.
Is this Iranian surplus as I suspect? If so, Approx how old? (I've heard late 60's as an estimate before)
Assuming it is safe to shoot, is it going to work through an M1?

Not going to rule out pulling them down, saving the bullets and tossing the powder/cases.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8739.JPG (203.7 KB, 60 views)
Old July 24, 2016, 08:02 PM   #2
KEYBEAR

I have shot Surplus 30-06 for over fifty years and love it . Most of my stock is dated 1945 to 1956 . The rounds you have do not look well card for .
I see one or two have been leaking (not good)

If it was mine I would not shoot it as I value my Rifle and my body .
you have 20 rounds dump it not worth pulling the bullets .

I have two 100% original M1,s and shoot them a bunch . You do know not to use full power loads(HUNTING LOADS) in the M1 unless set up to do so .

Just to make you feel bad most of my Surplus Ammo was bought 30/40 years ago and an average cost of around 6 cents each ,
Old July 24, 2016, 08:05 PM   #3
kraigwy

I don't know if they are corrosive primers or not. Pretty sure they are berdan primed.

Anyway, I wouldn't shoot them in my Garand (or any other of my '06 rifles).

Id toss them, but that's just me.

155 gr fmj bullets are cheap, not worth setting up to pull 25.

JMHO
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 24, 2016, 08:05 PM   #4
RC20

Pull them down.

Not worth the possible issues in any gun let alone M1 (op rod)

I work with engines, on more than one occasion I poured out 5 gallons of diesel oil that I was not sure was not contaminated.

I had two guys decide they did not want to do that with mucked up diesel, they poured it into one of my outside tanks (fortunately one got nervous and told me and did not transfer inside). No fun taking a 550 gallon tank down to get it cleaned.

I understand the impulse, there is something in us that just does not want to throw stuff away, if you sit down and way possible costs and consequences vs what you get its not close to a question.

Been there, done that and its better to be safe than sorry.

Interesting head stamps!
Old July 25, 2016, 12:00 PM   #5
mikld

I'm not familiar with Iranian ammo, so I'd check here; http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=94 A bunch of very knowlegdeable reloaders/shooters will know if Iranian ammo is non-corrosive or shootable.
Old July 25, 2016, 12:24 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

No hits on a cartridgecollectors.org search for 'Iran'. However, late 60's vintage Iranian .30 M2 is non-corrosive. Still not really worth any effort for 25 rounds.
Old July 25, 2016, 04:52 PM   #7
brasscollector

I eventually pulled 30 of the unknown surplus loads plus five more similar which were head stamped WCC 53. I got 150 fmjs and just a bit over 47grs of unknown powder (looked like an extruded "Y" shaped little flake) out of the unknown, the WCC was charged with ball. The powder easily dumped right out, no need to poke at it with a stick. Now I've got some APs with a STW or 5TW head stamp which I guess I will pull next.