The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 23, 2012, 06:34 PM   #1
dgludwig

Winchester Model 1911 Question

My lgs has Winchester's first effort at making a semi-auto shotgun for sale, the Model 1911. The shotgun appears to be in at least very good condition (might even be re-finished-I can't tell) and they are asking $400.00 for it. Anybody have an idea how much this shotgun is worth? Thanks.
Old April 23, 2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

"The Widowmaker" was the common nickname for the 1911. For a long time, Winchester would take back the 1911s and exchange it for a Model 12.

Browning''s patent of the charging handle meant that Winchester had to come up with a gitover to legally market an autoloader. The design team knurled the barrel so that folks could work the action.

Many deaths resulted and the 1911 was yanked off the market. The company did without an auto for decades.

As curiosa, it may be worht the money. As a shooter, heck no....
Old April 23, 2012, 07:24 PM   #3
zippy13

If you want a Model 1911, get a Colt.
Old April 24, 2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Goatwhiskers

May I point out that when the Win. M11 was designed, the ammo we consider as low power or "low brass" was high strength stuff. The gun was never designed for modern high power ammo. Use of same causes doubling, tripling, and excess wear and breakage of parts, which are becoming scarce, plus finding someone who knows how to work on those guns. I speak from nearly 50 years of experience. If you do purchase the gun, use only trap loads, you will be a happy hunter and the game will be just as dead. Goat
Old April 24, 2012, 12:19 PM   #5
dgludwig

Quote:
As curiosa, it may be worht the money. As a shooter, heck no....
Thanks for the info. I have plenty of shooters to choose from; I was just struck by the novelty of the shotgun and how well it was made and finished and thought it might be an interesting firearm to have in a historical sense. It reeks of old Winchester quality in terms of its material and workmanship.
Old April 24, 2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're welcome.

The 1911 was well made, and a good pointer. I've shot well with one or two, though the MOA scared me a little.

Not many for sale anymore. If you want it as an artifact of a time when gun makers went for making the best rather than what they could sell the most of for the max profit, go for it.