The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 23, 2011, 12:28 AM   #1
EdInk

Explain "Post Sample" Full Autos

I understand that "transferable" machine guns have to be made before 1986. However, it is my undertanding that there are non-transferable "post sample" guns. I think these are usually at rental ranges and if the business ever closes down they must be destroyed. Could a private citizen own one of these guns, wth the understanding that upon their death it must be turned over for destruction?
Old February 23, 2011, 01:18 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

Post '86 dealer sample would be the full title of these guns.

Under no circumstances can an individual own one of these guns. They may only be possessed by military, law enforcement agencies, or a (class 3) dealer.

It is my understanding that a dealer must have a letter from a LE dept requesting to demo the gun in question for them to purchase one of these weapons.

It is also my understanding that the dealer may only have one of any type of post '86 gun. ie one M4 and one M16A2. While they are very similar they aren't the exact same model.

When a dealer gives up their FFL all post samples must be sold or destroyed.
Old February 23, 2011, 03:59 AM   #3
David Hineline

It is like any regulated items, if you have the proper papers you can own/possess it.

Explosives, fireworks, radioactive material, airborne gun ships, prescription drugs, narcotics.

If you are not willing to get the needed permits then you do not get to play.
Old February 24, 2011, 12:21 PM   #4
GoingQuiet

Willie is partly right - however ANY FFL/SOT can have post samples. Not just "class 3" dealers. I am a "class 2" manufacturer and I can make a post sample if I want.
Old April 13, 2011, 05:09 PM   #5
DiCarnage

Hmm...

I'm with EdInk on this one. How is it possible for the guys down the road from me (and media covered companies like Red Jacket) to build and sell brand new full-auto toys if you can't register post-'86 machine guns?
Old April 13, 2011, 05:19 PM   #6
SDC

"How is it possible for the guys down the road from me (and media covered companies like Red Jacket) to build and sell brand new full-auto toys if you can't register post-'86 machine guns?"

Because when the gubmint passed that law, they exempted themselves and the police from it; although it's illegal for a private CITIZEN to purchase a post-86 MG, do you really think that these clowns would live by that law themselves?
Old April 13, 2011, 10:21 PM   #7
David Hineline

Places like Red Jacket Firearms

If you can understand that a company like Colt Manufacturing makes machineguns for use by the US Military, Export to foreign locations, and US Government and Police Agencies. Once you wrap your head around that.

Companies like Red Jacket firearms and lots of other small manufacturers have the same licenses to do that business as does Colt Manufacturing.

Last edited by David Hineline; April 15, 2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old April 14, 2011, 10:49 PM   #8
medalguy

There are really two types of dealer samples. "Pre May" samples are only allowed to be owned by SOT dealers, and cannot be transferred to individual owners. "Post May" samples can only be acquired by SOT if they have a letter from a police department requesting a demonstration of that weapon. "Pre May" samples may be retained by a dealer if he does not renew his license. They may not be subsequently transferred to an individual but may be transferred to another SOT. "Post May" samples must be disposed of if the dealer fails to renew his license by transfer to another SOT but that dealer must have the LEO letter, or by "donation" to BATFE. All new made guns would be "post May" samples and cannot be transferred to another dealer unless that dealer has the LEO letter. Make sense?
Old April 15, 2011, 12:02 AM   #9
David Hineline

Post May dealer samples may transfer to certain types of licensed persons without the LE Demo letter Request if the Dealer in question is going out of business, these transfers are also approved at the whim of the BATFE when getting those machineguns out of the dealer's possesion is in their interest.