The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 9, 2009, 01:49 PM   #1
Carolina Cowboy

Hand Loading 45lc for SASS or CAS

I am new to this so have a ton of questions. First one is what would you guys or Ladies recommend for a good hand loader that will not break the bank to reload a couple 100 shells a week? Where would a person buy and what brand as Brass and primers and Powder go? I just ordered two of USFAs single action revolvers in 45LC and would like to shoot at a little less cost per shell than if possible, and the reason for getting the 45LC is just something I have always wanted. The ranges here (would have to be indoor as I live in Michigan now) most require Jacketed ammo. So I guess I would reload a different shell for practice and lead bullets for the SASS shooting?
Old October 9, 2009, 02:22 PM   #2
Claude Clay

hi & welcome

a lee 4 hole turret can load 150/ hour basic set up---press/dies/ scale/ calipers / tumbler about $350.oo.

starline for brass 500/$80

bulletworks for 250gr lead $72/1000
large pistol primers are $30/1000 in CT
1 pound of Unique is about $22 and is 7000 grains.
a light SASS load is 6.8gr

so figure 12 cents/round lead plus 1 penny per round to amortize the cost of the equipment
plated bullets run $110ish/1000. rainer or Barrie's makes no difference as you are not in this for speed;
you just want to practice inside with plated/jacketed. plated uses the same load formula as lead.

good luck CC

----if you have an extra $200 id try to takl you into getting a dillon square-deal D. loads 400 an hour.
i have both and use the lee to work up a load or for small quanities. when i started SASS i was shooting 1000/month
12 years later it is still fun and i still go through 4 or 5 hundred a month.

dont forget a rifle-- rossie/puma is good value/for money.

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life

Last edited by Claude Clay; October 9, 2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old October 9, 2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Carolina Cowboy

handloading

Thanks CC; you answered my question plus a few, LOL. Say the Rossi/Puma is a good rifle? I am looking forward to getting my revolvers and getting started, seems like this has to be fun. Was raised up with Marvick, Sugar foot, Gun smoke, Rawhide and a lot of others. I can't wait. Thanks for the Welcome and the info, been reading on here for a few weeks and it seems like you guys have a wealth of knowledge for us Newbie’s. Thanks again.
Old October 9, 2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Claude Clay

leather--this dates from the 70's (1970"s)

i cant remember where i got the grips but they fit nice on the stainless.

rossie is accurate and reliable. they use to be inexpensive [ about 225].

stoger sxs to start. if you get serious into the sport you will need the pump winchester--now around 500.

as an aside: buy good comfortable boots. besides looking good, you will be wearing them and walking around for hours. CC

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old October 9, 2009, 03:49 PM   #5
Carolina Cowboy

Well the comfortable boots makes sense, and such an easy thing to not even think about, Thanks for that tip. That had not even crossed my mind, and I wear 13EEE so being in them all day and they be uncomfortable would be rough.
Nice Hostler, nice rig. Can't wait
Such a small thing, but could ruin an otherwise wonderful experience.
Thanks CC
Old October 9, 2009, 04:14 PM   #6
Hawg

Starline brass. I prefer W 231 powder and CCI primers but Winchester's are good too. Federals are very soft and can go off in a press. I use a hand priming tool. Puma's are made by Chiappa now. Don't skimp on leather. If you buy the cheap stuff you will regret it. You don't need the pump, the SXS will be fine. Can't load but two anyway and you'll have to learn to load the pump over the top one at a time while on the line.
Old October 12, 2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Carolina Cowboy

Reloaders

I read up a lot this weekend, and is the Square Deal "B" a good one? It seems like it would load more than I need right now, but would also give me an excuse to shoot more,LOL
Old October 12, 2009, 10:46 AM   #8
ClemBert

I went with a mid-range approach to reloading since my plan is to bang out 50 to 100 rounds at a time. This is what I use:

$100 Lee Anniversary Reloadiing Kit

$37 Lee Carbide 4-Die Set 45 Colt

$89 Starline Brass 500 piece 45 Colt

In addition I use Winchester large pistol primers ($35/1000) and GOEX 3Fg ($13/lb) with 250 grain RNFP lead.
Old October 12, 2009, 08:38 PM   #9
ClemBert

Here's the link for the bullets I use: Dardas 0.452 RNFP 250 grain $45/500
Old October 13, 2009, 08:21 AM   #10
champ198

I have a Lee...pro 100 for my 38/357 and it works good...had one for my 45 colts and it worked good too and a reasonable press for the $$
Old October 13, 2009, 04:03 PM   #11
Delmar

I still reload with the Classic Lee Loader The kind that you hit with a hammer. I got a bonus at work last month and sent off for the Lee anniversary kit, but it is still sitting in the box. I am thinking of parting it out and selling it on Ebay, and using the money to buy an 1858.
Old October 15, 2009, 08:33 PM   #12
wjt4

Carolina,
If you are just going to shoot every so often, then you might want to look at a Lee Classic turret press. I have heard and read nothing but good things about that press on other loading forums. The Lee also isn't too expensive. If you get serious about cowboy shooting you might want something that loads a little faster. I picked up a Dillon square deal B and I really like it. You have to realize that it only loads pistol calibers but that's all I shoot anyways, so I'm happy with it. The square deal B didn't break the bank either. I can load a couple hundred in about an hour and I am slow. I shoot almost every weekend and after awhile time becomes an issue. You have to clean the brass, clean your guns, and just other things that get in the way. I have a busy job and two teenagers as well. Time is precious. The Lee is just slower than a "progressive" press.
A lot of guys like starline brass. I'd also recommend Federal primers just because they seem to be a little softer and if you ever get any action/spring work done on your pistols and you will if you get serious about cowboy shooting, then the Federals just seem to work better with the lightened springs. There are many good loads for .45s that work. Part of the fun of reloading is trying different powders and loads and finding what works best for you. Most cowboys I've talked to including myself started out just wanting to have fun shooting and didn't care too much after placement at a match. But after you become more comfortable with cowboy shooting they find that they want to go faster. You start looking for ways to go faster and the slicked up guns and loads with less recoil seem to be ways to do that.

Ned Lander