The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 30, 2009, 03:25 AM   #1
Scribe

Armi Chiappa

Morning folks, first post on this forum and I'm seeking a spot of advice. I've been looking for a rifle on the Winchester 1892 action in .44 magnum for some time and a dealer has suggested one by Armi Chiappa. Has any one any thoughts, experience or criticism of this companies products?
Many Thanks.
Old September 30, 2009, 07:01 AM   #2
mykeal

Armi Chiappa is also known as Armi Sport; they're located in Brescia, Italy.

I've never owned or handled an Armi Sport gun. I can only add that I've heard good things about their quality.
Old September 30, 2009, 03:49 PM   #3
arcticap

Below is the link to their website.
After clicking "English" on their home page, the bottom of the next page has links to interesting info. about the company including pictures of their production equipment. It's a modern company with a good reputation and they have an extensive catalog of great looking products.
Just take a look at all of their Sharps.

http://www.armisport.com/

Last edited by arcticap; October 1, 2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old September 30, 2009, 04:25 PM   #4
Springfield Kid

I own 2 of the Armi Sport /Taylors rifles .
Both are nicer than any Pedersoli I have handled .
They may have a lower end I haven`t seen .
Just my experience with the ones I own .
Old October 1, 2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Andy Griffith

Old Ron is the front guy for them in the US, and several other importers including ATI (the little GSG-5, .410 AR-style shotgun) and just about every Turkish shotgun.

Yes, they are good rifles, but are very expensive.

Since Rossi just took around a $100 price decrease, there is nearly $300 difference between the Rossi and the Puma (US importer) of the Italian made guns.

Your dealer should sell you one of the Rossi rifles now for around $400.
The Italian ones are $600-800! Although I liked the look of the Italian gun better and looks much more authentic, I already have an older Rossi and had a track record of no problems with it. I couldn't justify the extra cash, and so picked up a stainless .357 Rossi for $436. plus tax through my local pusher.

My only question is...where is service going to come from if needed?
I can get parts for my Rossi.
Old October 1, 2009, 12:34 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
Puma (US importer)
Puma is the brand name Legacy Sports puts on their imported rifles. Rossi's contract with them expired fairly recently and Chiappa got the new one. Most used Puma's you will find are Rossi's. I'm sure there's still some new Puma rifles in stock here and there that are Rossi's
Old October 1, 2009, 03:12 PM   #7
Andy Griffith

I meant to say Legacy. Puma is one of the several registered trademarks owned by Legacy Sports.

However, just wanted to let you know that Taurus is now the official licensee of the Rossi name and production of the Rossi firearms, as I was told.

Anyway, just know that there has been a price decrease on the Rossi rifles brought in by Taurus as of this September, so a new one may cost you less than a used or new one that has been on a dealer's shelf for a while.
Old October 6, 2009, 10:50 AM   #8
Scribe

Folks,

thank you for all the replies. I was after a Rossi .44 for a long time, but the only ones you can get in this country are stainless. I have no objection to this but would much prefer blued. I spoke to the importer and was told that Rossi will only ship them in batches of one finish or another and will only ship stainless to the U.K.
The prices of Rossi's have gone up, though they would be roughly £100 less than Armi Chiappa. I don't think parts would be a problem.
Old October 6, 2009, 05:36 PM   #9
Noz

I think all the cowboys are running scared from the Taurus name. Too many bad memories of poor quality guns and even poorer service.