The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 19, 2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Boris Bush

#1 buckshot

Well guys and gals I just ordered some #1 buck. It seems that 16 30 caliber pellets would give good patterns and good penetration. I will test a few when I get them. Until then has anyone here used #1 buck in the past and how did it perform for you?
Old April 19, 2008, 06:42 PM   #2
wnycollector

I have used 16ga #1 buck in an old chopped down SxS for years. I patterned it on a man sized target and I remember in giving excellent coverage at ~15-20 yards. I hope that helps.
Old April 19, 2008, 06:59 PM   #3
bswiv

See the post a few down......."test results.........

I think for work on miscreants #1 would be exellent but my experence is that heavier shot is better for game of deer size and up.

Of course after saying that it is worth noting that a lot of the old time deer hunters that ran dogs liked #1 because of the extra shot and the better chance of one pellet getting into the lungs. But then they had dogs to do the trailing. Remember that buckshot shot deer don't bleed as well because there is usually no exit wound...........
Old April 19, 2008, 07:57 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

For defense shooting, #1 buckshot is considered to be the most "ballistically perfect" shot.

It offers better penetration than #4, and puts more shot on target then #00 for more damage of vital organs.
Old April 20, 2008, 11:33 AM   #5
Rampant_Colt

It's counterproductive not to have the best patterning buckshot because "the experts" say that 0 or 1 buckshot is the optimum balance of penetration and overall tissue crush cavity. Maybe under ideal circumstances

I will argue that reduced recoil eight-.36 dia 000 or nine-.33 dia 00 buckshot will provide better penetration than your sixteen-.30 dia number 1 buckshot, while throwing better usable patterns, and recoiling less. I view the extra 77% buckshot in #1 buck as a liability.
Old April 20, 2008, 11:40 AM   #6
Boris Bush

Rampant_Colt

The shotty is not a weapon I will carry to the mall for protection and then spray a pellet or two that misses into some innocent kid down range. The shotgun is a static weapon that will be fired from pre selected static points that I know no matter how much I shoot they will not harm neighbors because the angles of fire have been pre thought out. I always consider everyones safety before I plan on the use of deadly force. Thats how I roll.

I have noticed that the 12 guage I have right now gives me the most uniform pattern of any shotgun I ever owned with any size of buckshot. The #1 oughta be great, I cann't wait to try it out........
Old April 20, 2008, 12:07 PM   #7
Rampant_Colt

@ Boris Bush - make sure to buy a variety of different brands to check for patterning. In my experience out of cylinder-choked shotguns, 0 and 1 buckshot threw the worst patterns, and kicked the hardest [of the 2-3/4" shells]

HERE'S a link to gelatin testing of number 1 buckshot

Quote:
A 2-3/4" inch load firing 16 .30 cal pellets, this offering from remington fired from an 18 inch barreled Remington 870 Marine Magnum exhibited excellent average penetration of approxiately 16.5 inches. Temporary stretch cavity measured approximately 8.5 inches. Shot recovered exhibited minimal deformation.

In our opinion, this load is superior to 00 buck for selection as a tactical shotgun load. While exhibiting slightly less penetration, overall penetration is still acceptable and if all pellets strike their intended target there is potential to create approximately 77% more wound tract with the additional 7 pellets.

It's a good choice if your sg gets decent patterns with it from close range. I just don't think the extra 77% more wound tract will make any difference to the bad guy
Old April 20, 2008, 02:11 PM   #8
rem870hunter

my dad took a nice spike buck years ago using #1. 2 pellets in the ribcage very little blood and it didn't run far at all. it was a running shot with a fallen tree between him and the deer.

winchester,federal and remington make #1 in 2 and 3/4". the 3" seems to be available only by winchester and federal.
the federal is the premium, copper plated shot. the 3" patterend about equal to each other, 35 yards 28" vt. barrel modified choke tube 8 out of 24 pellets into a 9" paper plate. the 2 and 3/4" winchester was 5 out of 16 pellets.