The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 9, 2016, 08:47 PM   #1
lockedcj7

Did rule 41P change anything for individuals?

I thought I read that 41P was changing some things for individuals. If fact, I've been waiting for the law to go into effect because of the changes that I thought were coming.

Specifically, I thought I read that an individual would not need to submit additional fingerprints and photos if they had done so for another form in the preceding 24 mos.

I've read form 1 and don't see any such provision. I've also been all over rule 41P and the BATFE website and can't find anything.

Did I imagine that too?

Am I still correct that it changed the CLEO approval to only a notification?
Old August 10, 2016, 03:34 AM   #2
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedcj7
I thought I read that 41P was changing some things for individuals. If fact, I've been waiting for the law to go into effect because of the changes that I thought were coming.
Just to clarify: it's not a law, it's simply a regulatory rule. 41P was the name for the proposed rule change, and 41F is the name for the final rule change.

Quote:
Specifically, I thought I read that an individual would not need to submit additional fingerprints and photos if they had done so for another form in the preceding 24 mos.

I've read form 1 and don't see any such provision. I've also been all over rule 41P and the BATFE website and can't find anything.

Did I imagine that too?
The two-year window was an initial public interpretation of 41F that the ATF disagreed with. As of now, the ATF says fingerprints and photos are required for each submission of a Form 1 or Form 4.

http://rkmerting.com/atf-41f-and-the-two-year-window/

Quote:
Am I still correct that it changed the CLEO approval to only a notification?
Yes. Basically, 41F boils down to this: 1) Fingerprints and photos are required for everybody for each transaction, whether you're submitting as an individual or as a "responsible person" on a trust. 2) The CLEO sign-off for individuals has been changed to a simple notification, and it has been extended to all "responsible persons" on a trust.

So fingerprints and photos are now required for everyone whether you're on a trust or not, and CLEO notification is required for everyone whether you're on a trust or not.
Old August 11, 2016, 01:33 PM   #3
Skans

Quote:
individuals has been changed to a simple notification, and it has been extended to all "responsible persons" on a trust.
So, a trust, corp, llc, etc. is no longer necessary to avoid the CLEO sign-off? If I understand correctly, there simply is no more CLEO sign-off; that impossible crap is in the past?

If this is true, that explains the recent jump in machinegun prices.
Old August 11, 2016, 02:01 PM   #4
Sharkbite

Skans,

That is correct. Individual, trust, Corp...all must do a "notification" to the CLEO. He does not have to sign it or even acknowledge the Notification. Simply send it signature required and submit
Old August 12, 2016, 08:41 AM   #5
Skans

I had heard that was going to happen, I just can't believe they actually did away with the CLEO sign-off. I'm assuming that this will make most NFA trusts a thing of the past. I understand there are other reasons to have a trust, but just no longer necessary to avoid the sign-off.
Old August 12, 2016, 11:49 AM   #6
Sharkbite

Correct..

All the additional benifits of a NFA trust remain (ability to let mtpl persons LEGALLY possess and use those items, as an example)

But for those of us that had a CLEO who flat refused to sign, that problem has gone away
Old August 13, 2016, 11:28 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

What if the CLEO simply refuses to accept the notification and won't sign anything?

Jim
Old August 13, 2016, 11:59 PM   #8
Sharkbite

Under 41F the CLEO does not have to sign anything. Thats the good news in this rule change. You simply send him a certified letter and thats all. He doesnt return a signed copy or any other paperwork.
Old August 14, 2016, 12:42 AM   #9
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K
What if the CLEO simply refuses to accept the notification and won't sign anything?
Like Sharkbite said, there's nothing for them to sign. As far as I know, theres no mechanism in place for the ATF to verify that you sent the notification to your CLEO. This doesn't make any sense and also makes complete sense both at the same time.

It makes sense because if the ATF required your CLEO to verify that they received the copy of your notification, then that would amount to a de facto CLEO approval, which would be similar to the old CLEO sign off; all an anti-gun CLEO has to do is pretend they never got it, and then you don't get your form approved. By not requiring any verification from the CLEO, it avoids this issue.

However, it doesn't make sense to me from an enforcement perspective because I don't see how the ATF can enforce it if someone decides to not notify their CLEO at all.
Old August 16, 2016, 10:12 AM   #10
Armorer-at-Law

In theory, it gives the CLEO to raise a legitimate issue that he/she has knowledge of, but that might not show up on a BGC. In practice, this would be almost never.

Quote:
However, it doesn't make sense to me from an enforcement perspective because I don't see how the ATF can enforce it if someone decides to not notify their CLEO at all.
Signing under oath that you had sent the notification would be a crime. Until you're caught, it's not an issue. But if you are caught for something else, this would be a pile-on felony charge.
Old August 16, 2016, 03:17 PM   #11
Skans

Does anyone think the elimination of the CLEO sign-off has lead to the recent jump in prices of registered full-autos?
Old August 16, 2016, 04:14 PM   #12
Sharkbite

I dont think so...

Anyone that wanted NFA stuff and had a CLEO that wouldn't sign, just started a trust and bought what they wanted.

Thats exactly what i did