The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 27, 2013, 11:02 AM   #1
amd6547

My Walmart Ammo Experience

I hadn't stopped into my local Walmart since the buying hysteria started.
Since they sell my wife's favorite coffee cheaper than anybody else, I went there last night. Picked up the coffee, then strolled over to the ammo case.
It was mostly empty. No 22lr at all, just 22wmr in three varieties. All the common pistol calibers were gone except two boxes each of 40 S&W and 357 mag.
There was a large stack of 30.06 180gn PSP, and a few random other rifle calibers.
They did have a lot of 12ga slugs...15rd boxes of Winchester, and 5rd boxes of Federal TruBall.
Since I have been loading up on shotgun ammo lately, I was glad to see it.
Now, to find someone with a key to the case.
That took about a 20 minutes.
The guy who helped was friendly. There was a sign on the case saying "limited to three boxes per customer per day".
While I was pulling my three boxes out, a guy asked the worker if there was any 38spl...the poor sap. Of course not.
Since the employe was not a register person, he had to walk me, my ammo, and my coffee to the front to ring out. I told him that when I was young, firearms and ammo were right out on the aisle, unlocked, and unsupervised. He laughed and said people would steel them now...and that this Walmart, in a nice Cleveland suburb had over a million dollars in losses last year!!!
So, I got my slugs. It took some effort, but I got them for a little less than I was going to order online for, and with no shipping.

Last edited by amd6547; January 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old January 27, 2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Downeast

This morning the closest walmart to me had.22 LR, .223 & 9MM. I got some of each. They did not enforce the new 3 box limit as I was able to buy 5 boxes federal 223, 1 box 9mm & 1 box CCI 22LR (375 rds).

Last edited by Downeast; January 27, 2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old January 27, 2013, 01:59 PM   #3
bbqbob51

Downeast, I was in the Augusta Walmart on Friday and they were pretty cleaned out. No 22LR at all and no .223. Previous to this week they seemed to have a little of everything here and there. Of course there was a gun show at the Civic Center last weekend so they probably raided the Walmart.
Old January 31, 2013, 02:00 PM   #4
septimius72

Here in Utah...nothing CCI, Federal...all out...all walmarts all local GS's....
frustrating. I only have 500 rounds left (about half day of shooting )

when they'll return, dang it?
Old January 31, 2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Inazone

I had an amazing experience at Wal-Mart today, or at least one amazingly different from all my past experiences. A friend of mine called me before work to tell me that the local WM store had just restocked ammo, including the 100-round boxes of Federal .223 that only rarely show up under "normal" conditions. I walked in, found an employee who could unlock the ammo counter and ring me up, and was out the door in about five minutes. They did have the three-box limit, but that still allowed for 300 rounds . . . at normal, non-panic prices.

This is in contrast to the usual process of walking in, spending 15+ minutes finding someone with keys to get me the one remaining box of the caliber I want, and then another 5-10 minutes waiting in line to check out. I may mark this on my calendar, because it'll probably never happen again.
Old February 2, 2013, 01:25 AM   #6
BIGR

My local Wal-mart has been wiped out as far as ammo. The lady in that department told me that the manager had taken over the keys to the ammo cabinet and that there was a three box limit.