The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 26, 2012, 01:23 AM   #1
bamaranger

rate the Mossberg 835

Buddy of mine came buy w/ a very clean camo 835 and offered it up at $100 less than retail. As Bamaboy is in need for a turkey gun, him using mine to kill his first 2 this season, I bought it. This is the 24" gun w/ single bead FO sight and it came with 4 choke tubes, 2 extended turkey fulls, a factory flush full and an IC.

I've heard about the recoil on the alloy framed guns, but we don't intend to shoot 3.5's in it, maybe not even 3" shells, as 2-3/4" short mags worked fine this year for the kid. Likely will get a kick-eeze pad as a matter of routine. Could use more than the single bead sight, but that's an accessory issue and easily addressed.

We will pattern the gun and be ready next year.

What's the collective opinion on the 835?
Old April 26, 2012, 07:11 AM   #2
dannyb

I like mine a lot. I've used it for trap with a modified choke - the back boring makes it a really fine trap gun. I also have the hard-to-find 16" slug barrel for it, so it does HD closet duty when not on the trap field.
Old April 26, 2012, 10:06 AM   #3
xLPlushy

Very nice piece of weaponry. Got mine as a hand-me down from dad. Haven't had it long enough to really get acquainted with it but it's a Mossberg and I'd be saddened if it would perform less than flawlessly. Patterned it with 2.75" #8 shot target loads at 20 yards(typical block shoot distance and load) and it blew a clean hole right in the center of the turkey head target I used. Now to pattern it with various turkey loads at distances. I'm confident you'll like it.

Tapatalked via my highly abused iPhone
Old April 26, 2012, 10:45 AM   #4
TMD

Your shoulder will give out long before that gun does.