The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old November 21, 2009, 02:09 PM   #1
DBAR

Never mind. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

How do you take apart a RCBS powder thrower ? I picked up mine used, and I don't even know which model it is. I've had it for about 10 years, and I've noticed a little inconsistancy lately. I was wanting to take it apart, but I've never really looked at it like that. I was also wondering about the different size parts (inside) for pistol vs. rifle loads? I don't seem to have any of those parts either.

Thank you,
DBAR

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; November 21, 2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Added for clarification of topic, NOT to embarrass.
Old November 21, 2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I wouldn't take permanent offense. I've been prodded any number of times myself. Everyone has a bad day.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 21, 2009, 04:45 PM   #3
DBAR

Thanks for the offers via IM, but don't worry about it guys.

I can handle it. I asked how to take a part a RCBS Powder Drop with out thinking about it. It should be pretty simple. If I can detail strip 1911's, Sigs, CZ's, and Revolvers, I should be able to take apart a powder drop. I forgot a few, but it doesn't matter. You guys know how many parts are in a Smith and Wesson 5906? Over 60 at least, maybe over 70. You get my point....

No worrys....

I only asked because I'm at work, and don't have it in front of me. Just had a thought....
Old November 21, 2009, 04:51 PM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

DBAR,

Slow down here and take a breath, fella. We all have a hard time trying to get to know how everyone ticks via words on a monitor. Wncchester doesn't know anything about you and vise versa. He may have been concerned due to the mass influx of new reloaders starting up and the potential mistakes that happen in the wake. Reloading is a dangerous hobby. Safety is paramount. He may have defaulted to the most cautious and safest answer for your own well being. I'm not trying to speak for him, rather letting you know the context could be taken differently than being personal.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 21, 2009, 05:17 PM   #5
DBAR

Breathing fine just tired of some of the comments I see on other threads as well. Not just his, others as well.

I was a newb once, and I never got the response that I see some of these guys throwing around here. I've noticed it on a couple of other forums I visited. I guess in these times (hard times) everyone is a little touchy.

I may have over reacted, as times here are very hard. I'm a business manager for an automotive dealership, and Saturdays are usually are busiest day.
We haven't sold a single car today, and it's 5:15, and we've been here since 8am.
Old November 21, 2009, 06:29 PM   #6
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBAR
I've had it for about 10 years, and I've noticed a little inconsistancy lately.
In an effort to get back on topic, what kind of inconsistency has cropped up? Have you recently changed powders? Are you keeping the hopper fairly full? It's hard to imagine anything going on inside the thing that would lead to inconsistency. A powder baffle may help.
Old November 21, 2009, 06:34 PM   #7
DBAR

I'm the kind of person that likes to maintain things properly, and I recently read a couple of other threads here, and on other forums talking about inconsistent powder drops. I've also been experiencing inconsistent powder drops, so I though a little maintenance was in order. I'm starting to think it's just the Bullseye powder that I just finished off, and that this is all unnecessary.
Old November 21, 2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Sport45

You're probably on the right track. Let us know how it works with the next powder run.
Old November 21, 2009, 09:51 PM   #9
David Wile

Hey __________,

I would submit that Dbar was in no way being what you suggested, and his original post was certainly made in a clear and concise manner. His questions were direct and verymuch to the point. . . . .

I don't know ____________ or his reputation, but I think both of his posts were not in the least bit helpful at best, and taken at the worst, they were obnoxious. Maybe ___________ is really a good guy and normally a helpful souce on the forum. If so, I think he missed the barn by about 12 yards on his posts in this thread. Then you add gas to the fire with your post which was not only wrong but mean spirited as well. There was no call whatsoever for responding to Dbar in that manner. It just isn't any way to treat someone who asked reasonable questions in a reasonable manner and in quite well written English.

We should do better by each other.

Dave Wile

Last edited by Johnny Guest; November 22, 2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Remove personal refverences, while recognizing attempt to smooth things out.
Old November 21, 2009, 10:17 PM   #10
David Wile

Hey Dbar,

I am sure you do not require anyone to defend you, but my remarks in my last post were intended to express my thoughts that we all ought to treat others as we would like to be treated by others. I know we all may say things at times that we may later regret, but what some of us said to you was just plain wrong, and perhaps it is not bad to remind ourselves about the Golden Rule which I think we all should have learned in Kindergarden. I regret our bad manners on this thread, and I hope you will stick with the forum. It may not be perfect, but it is generally very helpful.

Now, to address your questions on the RCBS powder measure. I suspect you have the same RCBS powder measure I have had for over 40 years. Without looking at it right now, I am pretty sure you are correct that there are two different adjustable cavities to be used for large and small powder amounts. You are also correct that you can probably figure out for yourself how it comes apart. Again, without looking, I think you if you remove the adjustable cavity and the handle, you will be able to remove the rotating cylinder.

If I also recall correctly without looking, there are two different powder drops for the bottom drop tube. You mentioned some problems with Bullseye powder drops, and my experience has always been very good with all flake and ball powders in my RCBS measure. If I still have my original manual for the measure, I could photocopy it and send it to you. Give taking it apart a shot and then let me know how you made out.

Hold on Dbar, I just checked the RCBS site and found a PDF file for the Uniflow Measure: http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instru...structions.pdf

I think it may be just what you need. Again, let me know how you make out.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old November 21, 2009, 10:42 PM   #11
oneounceload

hey Dave - it wasn't his original post, but his follow up, condescending, nasty comments in follow-up posts I was referring to
Old November 22, 2009, 01:15 AM   #12
DBAR

David Wile,

Thanks for the support, and understanding. I too view this as a community of knowledge that we share. One where we try to help each other with our experiences in a common interest. One that is gratifying, and frustrating at times. It is a sad fact that some view themselves as better than others, and try to make others feel stupid for asking simple questions. This has been a bad day all the way around, and the last thing I wanted was to have a thread go a stray like this one has.

Sometime a question I ask, or someone else for that matter, is a question that someone else is looking for the answer to, but just didn't know it until they read the thread.

I would hope that in the future people here will think about what they are posting, and how it might be taken by the person reading it.

I'm personally going to work on jumping to conclusions, . . . .
I've gotten some very solid advice, . . . .

I bought my RCBS Powder drop used, and it didn't come with a baffle. I’ve been loading with it for 8 years or so, and I had no idea that they even came with a baffle . I didn’t know they existed until medalguy sent me an IM, and gave me a little information. I did a couple of searches, and found out how to make my own, and for the last couple of hours I've been happily loading some .223's. Hell, after the last time I did some loading I was about to throw the damn thing away. I thought it was just worn out, and needed to be replaced. I saw a couple of other threads with advice that I had already done. I didn’t want to hi jack someone else’s thread, so I started my own. I never thought it would be like this.

Were done here, let’s all move along!

EDIT: I want to Thank everyone that sent me messages trying to help. medalguy, thanks for the advice, it was spot on. David Wile, thanks again.

Tuttle8,
Sorry if I got out of line, but I'm sure you can see where I was coming from. Thanks for staffing the forum. It's really a good forum, but just like any forum, it has it's ups, and downs. I'm sure you get tired of it at time. I am glad that you and the rest put up with it, and keep it running.

Last edited by DBAR; November 22, 2009 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Bold print for what the problem was.
Old November 22, 2009, 11:06 AM   #13
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Thread closure and a BROAD WARNING

I've seldom seen a thread run off the rails so quickly in H&R forum. This being a technical forum, we usually don't have the stupid bickering that is seen in some of the other highly opinionated areas.

I've gone back and tried to weed out the silly and argumentative comments. In doing so, I've removed a LOT of material, but I really think there's no loss. Anyone interested should take a look and see if any of YOUR stuff has been removed. If so, take it as a specific warning to you.

Take a look at the Forum Rules and note that crude language is NOT welcome on TFL. Anything the language filter blocks out is not acceptable. Thinly-veilled substitutes for crudity is also unacceptable. If it's been removed, THAT'S A WARNING. If you have nothing constructive to say in answer to a legitimate question, please remain silent on the topic.

To Tuttle8 and others who tried to get the thread back on track, thank you. To those who tried to make a coherent, constructive, answer to the OP's question, thank YOU. To those who wanted to nit pick and be argumentative, shame on you.

Thread closed.

Johnny Guest
TFL Staff
H&R Moderator
Closed Thread