The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 12, 2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Primevalpapa

First Time!

I had never shot a muzzleloader until Saturday. I had a lot a fun!

We are drawn for muzzleloading deer this fall so it was time to go play. My father had given me an older Traditions Buck Hunter that I converted to 209 primer. I figured that a fellow should have a backup rifle, just in case, and picked up CVA pivot action.

The Traditions had the wrong type of nipple for the Blackhorn 209 powder (according to Blackhorn literature) so I picked up some RS for it and used the 209 in the CVA. I reload for my Super Blackhawk and have a variety of 44 cal bullets around so I bought some of those sabots. I also picked up some Powerbelts.

I learned a couple of things after about four shots with the 209 powder ( 100 gr load equivalent) . Those sabots suck. I don't care what the advertising says about loading sabots easily, it was anything but easy. Powerbelt loaded nicely for the rest of the time I was shooting the CVA.

The sabots suck after one shot with RS but the Powerbelts work fine. I also had some other brand bullet that was smilar to the Powerbelts that were also fine. I like the CVA better than the bolt style Traditions.

Anybody want want some of the sabot hulls 50/44?

The only real difficulty I had was that with the Traditions, it would sometimes be almost impossible to get out the spent primer. The 209 decapper would not always be adequate. Do those bolts hit the 209s too hard?

All in all - a great morning!