The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 5, 2008, 10:50 PM   #1
slow

Stoeger 2000 or H&R Excell

Looking at these shotguns in 12 GA., which one would be a better buy? The gun would used primarily for informal clays and deer hunting. Ease of maintenance is a consideration but function is a primary concern as is practical accuracy at common ranges for specified purposes.
Thanks, Brett
Old July 5, 2008, 11:52 PM   #2
Scorch

Stoeger 200 is almost the same gun as a Benelli M2 (only difference is the action spring). It's even made in the same factory as the Benelli.
Old July 6, 2008, 06:58 AM   #3
jmr40

The Stoeger is a great copy of the Benelli. The recoil spring for the Benelli is in the stock while the Stoeger is in the forend. Beretta, which also owns Benelli,Sako,Tikka, and Franchi recently bought Stoeger. Benelli's are made in Italy and the Stoegers are made in Turkey.

Last edited by jmr40; July 6, 2008 at 08:02 AM. Reason: corrected typo
Old July 6, 2008, 07:15 AM   #4
RoscoeC

I have a Stoeger M2000. Great gun. No malfunctions through about 600 rounds, even with 1 oz. light target loads. So, I can endorse the Stoeger.

I have not seen the Excell, but I have heard lots of good things. Seems to be a good gas operated shotgun.

If you are going to shoot a lot, like clay games, say 100 or more rounds per week, the Excell will be more comfortable.

My Stoeger is for hunting duty. I shoot a Beretta A390 for skeet and sporting clays becasue the gas gun (Excell) is softer shooting than the inertia gun (Stoeger).
NRA Life Member
Old July 6, 2008, 01:18 PM   #5
ebutler462

Let us clarify this "made in", OK?

While Vursan in Turkey makes the inertia actions for the Benelli/Franchi/Stoeger shotguns, the barrels are made by Beretta in Italy. Other parts are outsourced to the lowest bidder in whatever country they are made in.

The country of final assembly is the "made in" country. The Benellis and Franchis are assembled in Italy and have a bit of additional polishing added to everything. The Stoeger 2000 is assembled in Turkey at the Vursan factory without the extra touch-up.

To me, the extra touch-up is not worth an extra $1000. They all go bang and the 2000 has served me well.
Old July 6, 2008, 09:52 PM   #6
Smitty in CT

The newer Stoeger or a Mossberg Field / Deer Combo for $437.75, it comes with a 28" Vent-rib Barrel and a 24" slug barrel:

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=G85238

Glad to see you posting EV, How are you feeling??

Smitty
Old July 7, 2008, 07:25 PM   #7
ebutler462

Doing the chemo and radiation thing. Feeling like crap but still trying to give my unopinionated opinions. Keeps me going.

BTW, it took you two days to chime in on the 930. You're getting slack.