The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 3, 2000, 02:22 AM   #1
MTAA

I was reminiscing about "Raising Arizona" the other day, particularly about the bounty hunter on the motorcycle. You know, the dude with two pistol gripped double wides strapped to his back in a cross draw fashion. Now, I've been thinking long and hard about this, if and when the SHTF, this will most likely be the way I'll be travelin the new frontier. So, with that in mind, what do you think would be the best bike/shotgun combo for this scenario ? I picture myself on a HD 1200 Sportster with two Stoeger 20 inch 20 guages strapped to my back. One tube would be loaded with a slug and the other buckshot. Now all I need is a grizzled beard, some more tattoos, handrolled cigars, and piercings, lots of piercings...

No, I'm perfectly sane I swear.
Old November 3, 2000, 09:41 AM   #2
jthuang

Being a former motorcycle person myself, I can't say I've tried carrying my shotguns while on the bike, but it's an interesting concept.

Doubles are a good idea, but how about two semi-autos? Reloading while on a cycle must be hell -- you'd have four shots total before you'd have to recharge the scatterguns. Maybe two gas-operated semi-autos (don't want an inertia operated gun if you're going to use pistolgrip-only shotguns) with Pachmayr pistol grips?

The 20 gauge is a good idea, I'd hate to fire any 12 gauge in pistol-grip only configuration.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old November 3, 2000, 01:23 PM   #3
DaMan

MTAA, as much as I admire HD MC's, they aren't really practical in a SHTF scenario!

The military type scout bikes are the only "practical" bike for the SHTF scenario.

Quiet, agile off road, easy on gas.

Regards! DaMan
Old November 3, 2000, 01:43 PM   #4
KilgorII

Of course one blast of 00 buck from the roadside bushes will easily topple a "Bad A$$" on a motorcycle. Give me a hummer instead.

Old November 3, 2000, 01:57 PM   #5
guerilla1138

so no one here has seen Terminator 2?
that sawed off 1887 is one cool gun, and with that bike it just cant be beat

personally i would take a bike that got good gas mileage, and worked on and off road.
and of course it would have to be american made. not sure what but i could find a good one.
oh yeah and it would have to be able to leave any copper chopper in the dust. no offense cops but in a the SHTF situation there might be a few that needed to be outrun, none of the cops who hang here on TFL tho.
and shotgun wise, a semi-auto benelli cut short, to about 14 inches barrel length.
then a double barrel in 12 guage, ya know the kind when if it didnt kill em on the first two shots your screwed anyway so forget about not being able to shoot it again due to wrist damage.

------------------
"while u are burying your head in the sand i will be out doing something about the problem, excuse me if i tramp upon your skull." Guerilla1138

"you never hear their standard issue kicking in your door" pink floyd.

[This message has been edited by guerilla1138 (edited November 03, 2000).]
Old November 3, 2000, 02:17 PM   #6
longeyes

I vote for one lupara, one Stihl 036, and the mindset of a berserker.
Old November 3, 2000, 04:06 PM   #7
Onslaught

I have little to say in the line of gun choice. Never strapped one to my bike, but when I used to let my dad borrow it, he'd stick his M1 Carbine in a sweatshirt, and strap it on one side, just under and behind his right leg.

My opinion is more on the bike... If the S really HTF, a Harley might make you LOOK cool, but you are poorly fitted for a ride down post-apocalyptic highway!!! Any brand of reliable, 4 stroke 450cc or bigger Dual Sport is the way to go! Sure, you can haul butt ON the road, but when I wanna go AROUND the Nazi road-blocks, I'm hitting the woods, trails, and you won't see me again for MILES! Personally, I'd be quite set with my Kawasaki KLX650. But if I wanted to look stylish at the same time, I'd want a BMW dualsport.
SWEET!
Old November 3, 2000, 05:42 PM   #8
Monkeyleg

I can't speak from any experience on using a shotgun from a cycle, but I sure can speak about taking a Harley off the asphalt. It don't work. I've been stuck in the sand in rutted paths in Utah, bottomed out on clapboard roads in Canada, and more. It's hard to push a cycle that weighs 600+ pounds--nearly 700 with any kind of gear--and only has a few inches of ground clearance.
Now, if you're going to tear up Hollister, CA
ala "The Wild One," an HD or an old Triumph Bonneville is the way to go.

Dick
Want to send a message to Bush? Sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/monk/petition.html and forward the link to every gun owner you know.
Old November 4, 2000, 12:59 AM   #9
MTAA

Well, I picked Harley because parts would be easy to come by and it is the most comfortable for the long haul (For me at least). Maybe a rice rocket of some sort would be better ? An on/off road bike would work but it would have to be able to travel long distances at high speed, if I had something for off road I would prefer an ATV, especially over a hummer. If it were an ATV, I'd probably skip the shotgun altogether and mount a full auto in .30 something . I like the idea of a semi auto over a double barrel, but keep in mind, when riding the next wave of human civilization, style is equally important. Nothing says "**** off!" like a big ass American bike and a sawed of double barreled shotgun. Hmm, I think the exhaust would have to double as a flame thrower, night vision is in order, and a couple side mounted stingers in case KilgorII is hiding up in the bushes ahead .

Anyone ever fire a shotgun while riding a motorcycle ? I think a heavy bike would be necesary in order to maintain stability. I saw an episode of VIP where some guy was shooting and reloading an M79 all while nimbly whipping through traffic. It's Possible !

[This message has been edited by MTAA (edited November 04, 2000).]
Old November 4, 2000, 10:45 AM   #10
Marcus

I carried a shotgun on a motorcycle *once*. My buddy asked me if I wanted to go with him to pick up his new "pistol". I said sure and we hopped on his Honda Shadow (I was young and poor with no car at the time). When we arrived it turned out that his "pistol" was a slightly used Mossberg Persuader 12ga. with dual pistol grips,heat shield and an 8rd. mag.! It didn`t have a box and wouldn`t fit in the bags the clerk had so we rode home (all the way accross down town Albq.! Did I mention we were young and STUPID?)with it cradled accross my lap,on the cycle. I can`t believe we didn`t get arrested! You should have seen the looks on some of the motorists faces though!!!!!!! Marcus