The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 10, 2017, 12:31 AM   #1
TruthTellers

Velocities with Trail Boss in lever action rifles?

I'm trying to find out what velocities Trail Boss gives in rifle length barrels for .327, .357, .44, and .45 Colt, but I'm not having any luck. I can find the velocity when used in revolvers and from a few things I've read, it sounds like the velocity with Trail Boss isn't much more when fired from longer rifle barrels.

So what's the deal? How much faster will Trail Boss be when fired from 16 to 20 inch rifle barrels?
Old December 10, 2017, 10:39 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

This is what QuickLOAD is for. You match the pressure and velocity then just add barrel length.

QuickLOAD's defaults gave lower pressures than Hodgdon measures, but by tweaking the powder parameters (dropping the powder energy content and raising the burn rate), I can get to the same velocity and peak pressure values. The only fly in the ointment is I don't have their bullet lengths, so I can't necessarily get the exact same powder space and expansion ratios. So all of this is approximate. But given that a production gun seldom matches test gun performance exactly anyway, I expect it is close enough:

.357 Mag 158 grain LSWC

10.0" 865 fps
16.0" 917 fps
20.0" 939 fps

For 45 Colt 250 gr FN I get:

7.25" 727 fps
16.0" 815 fps
20.0" 836 fps

I didn't run them all, but this gives you some idea. Note the ratio of velocity changes are very close in both sets. Approximation ranges for them would be:

7.25" velocity is 4-5% higher than 5.00" velocity
10.0" velocity is 4-5% higher than 7.25" velocity
16.0" velocity is 6-7% higher than 10.0" velocity
20.0" velocity is 2-3% higher than 16.0" velocity.

You probably won't get precision that's any closer in actual firing.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 10, 2017, 02:09 PM   #3
TruthTellers

Mostly looking for data with .327 Federal Mag using 75 grain and 90 grain bullets with Trail Boss, but figured I'd ask for .357 and others as well.

I'm looking to try and keep the velocity below 1100 fps in a 20 inch Henry Big Boy. If I have to use .32 H&R Magnum to do that, then I will.
Old December 11, 2017, 09:49 AM   #4
jmorris

Trailboss is too fast to give you the most from longer barrels in the rounds you are looking at. Slower powders like 2400, H110 and such are what you are looking for, if you are going for higher velocity’s.

Trailboss is better for plinker or soft loads if your looking for “Magnum” you need to go the other direction.
Old December 11, 2017, 11:03 AM   #5
Real Gun

The 75 grain is better left for 32 SWL or perhaps very light target loads, probably similar to powder charges for 32 H&R. The only load for Trailboss that I found in my 327 Fed mag collection was from reloadammo.com, showing 3.2 grains of Trailboss for 100 grain lead RNFP. I would expect pressure to be somewhat lower for 90 grain leaving velocity in a similar range. The load shown was rated at 842 fps. I found it of interest that this 3.2 grain of Trailboss is exactly what I use for 357 Magnum Cowboy, 158 grain lead, that I use in my SASS rifle.
Old December 11, 2017, 11:13 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

TruthTellers,

There is nothing to prevent you loading the longer case down. It probably will be better for accuracy because it holds the bullet closer to the throat.

You selection of Trail Boss for that low velocity is actually a very good one. You would have trouble getting the slower powders to run lead bullets that slowly. Modeling in QuickLoad (ignore Mr. O'Heir's post, which I deleted for its entire content being factually untrue, from twist effect to QL's authorship; QL was written by the CIP's leading interior ballistics authority, who Dr. Ken Oehler said has probably seen more real pressure data than anyone else alive, and twist differences only affect loads by less than 10 fps), the maximum load for a 90 grain lead bullet given by Hodgdon, 3.2 grains of Trail Boss, looks like it will run about 1050 fps in a 20" barrel. Drop it to 2.8 grains to get a lead 75 grain bullet's velocity down that far.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 11, 2017, 02:55 PM   #7
TruthTellers

Awesome. 1050 is fine with that small 75 grain bullet.

Hodgdon has data for Trail Boss on their website, but for revolver cartridges they don't give you the option of checking the velocity for 16 inch or longer rifle barrels, just pistol length barrels.

Originally I was thinking of using minimum charges of Blue Dot in .32 H&R, but when I looked up Trail Boss and saw it would give about the same velocity from .327 and the powder wouldn't be sensitive to it's position in the case, I figured that using the longer case in a lever action would be a better decision. I don't want to deal with any jams stemming from rounds that are too short, which with a 75 grain bullet in .32 H&R, it may be an issue.

After shooting some Trail Boss in .32 H&R and feeling how light the recoil is, my goal for a reloadable .22 LR is coming to fruition in a Henry .327 loaded with Trail Boss.