The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old August 13, 2017, 01:04 PM   #26
TruthTellers

^ It's not twice as expensive, but I will think about it. I also have to think about just buying the Lee stand and the turret press I really want.

For the reasons I made this thread though was just to get a sense on how that C press would work within my intended use and it seems it would do well.
Old August 13, 2017, 01:31 PM   #27
kmw1954

Truth Tellers, from following you posts and some of the conversations we've had I believe either of those lee presses would work for what you want to do. We all know there are better presses out there in the market BUT that isn't the question is it?

You keep looking in Midway but please also look at prices on Amazon or better yet the two dealers; https://www.titanreloading.com/index...te=common/home
http://www.factorysales.com/ Both of these places always have some of the best prices on Lee equipment.

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...t-turret-press Less than $100.00
Old August 13, 2017, 01:49 PM   #28
jmorris

Quote:
^ It's not twice as expensive
Fair enough, 1.842 times more expensive.
Old August 13, 2017, 02:37 PM   #29
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
Truth Tellers, from following you posts and some of the conversations we've had I believe either of those lee presses would work for what you want to do. We all know there are better presses out there in the market BUT that isn't the question is it?

You keep looking in Midway but please also look at prices on Amazon or better yet the two dealers; https://www.titanreloading.com/index...te=common/home
http://www.factorysales.com/ Both of these places always have some of the best prices on Lee equipment.

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...t-turret-press Less than $100.00
I'm linking to Midway because it's easiest. I plan to buy the press from Walmart's website and have it shipped to the store for a price discount which would bring the price down to Midway's price or lower and without shipping costs. Midway's shipping costs are... high, which is why I don't buy from them much.

Quote:
Fair enough, 1.842 times more expensive.
$10 buys me a few hundred primers, so... yeah.
Old August 13, 2017, 02:48 PM   #30
kmw1954

TT, fair enough. best of luck with your shopping!
Old August 13, 2017, 02:59 PM   #31
JoeSixpack

Before you buy what ever it is you end up buying.
Compile a list of items and their UPC numbers.

Then Goto https://gun.deals
Type in the UPC's and price the stuff out.. you'll probably find better prices then walmart or amazon (unless it's on sale)

The search is powered by wikiarms so you can search there also but I prefer search from gun deals.

P.S Don't forget to look for coupon codes where ever you buy from.
Gun deals sometimes has codes but the bigger more well known stores sometimes can find on retailmenot also.
Old August 13, 2017, 04:55 PM   #32
jmorris

Quote:
$10 buys me a few hundred primers, so... yeah.
Now it's my turn...^ it's not $10, it's $5.99.

That is a good point though, would the extra money be worth investing in a better press or burning at the range...only you can decide. But that's Ok because only you have to load on the press you pick for yourself, so you can't go wrong.
Old August 13, 2017, 05:15 PM   #33
lee n. field

Quote:
What's your opinion on this Lee press?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/80...le-stage-press

I've been reloading for a while now with a Lee hand press and it works fine, I don't have a problem sizing or seating bullets with it, but because it's a hand press, I can't use a powder measure with the mouth flaring die.

It doesn't seem this is a press that gets a lot of attention, most loaders I know use an "O" frame and not the "C" frame, but they mostly load for rifle cartridges, so I can understand wanting a more rigid and stable press.

I plan to use this "C" press to flare the mouth of cases and charge with powder. In the future I may use this press with the Lee Lube and Size kits and also a universal decapping die.

I'd just like to hear from others their experience with this press and whether or not an "O" frame press is a better press. Currently, I don't have space to mount a press besides this small "C" frame press Lee makes.
The Lee C press is pictured on Lee's Bench Plate Kit. Bottom plate is permanently mounted to your bench. Press is attached to its own plate. Slide it in, screw down the clamps to mount it.

That's how you have room to mount multiple presses. (I picked one up a few months back. Works as advertised.)

As to the press, "meh". Almost anything is going to be sturdier, and better.

Quote:
I can't use a powder measure with the mouth flaring die.
On a single stage press like this, I wouldn't do that. It works nicely with a turret or progressive, and with Lee's power measures that intergrate with the charging die. With a single stage press, I don't see the point, since you'll be working in batches anyway.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 13, 2017, 08:32 PM   #34
TruthTellers

Quote:
On a single stage press like this, I wouldn't do that. It works nicely with a turret or progressive, and with Lee's power measures that intergrate with the charging die. With a single stage press, I don't see the point, since you'll be working in batches anyway.
I said this before, but since I'm going to buy one in the future for charging cases on a turret press, I may as well buy one now and work the kinks out of it so I know how to use it when the time comes to get the turret press.

But I agree with what you're saying. Philosophically, it's pointless to use on a single stage, but internet dating is also pointless and people still use that.
Old August 13, 2017, 08:59 PM   #35
Stats Shooter

Quote:
but internet dating is also pointless and people still use that.
So.... you justify one pointless act by referencing another? Lol. I am not trying to be combative or a smart@**. I'm just saying that's funny.

Anyway, I hope it works out for you and you get to live where you have more space...are you waiting on another parole board hearing? Because 8'x8' cells do make for cramped reloading confines.
Old August 13, 2017, 09:29 PM   #36
TruthTellers

Hopefully my next move will be to a house I bought where I'll not only have a whole garage set up for reloading and casting, but a backyard shooting range too.
Old August 13, 2017, 10:26 PM   #37
Stats Shooter

From this thread though, I'm actually thinking about getting one of these presses if I can find one cheap on sale.... decapping dirty range pickup brass makes me cringe when I see sand getting all over the ram of one of my beloved chuckers.
Old August 14, 2017, 06:47 AM   #38
jetinteriorguy

Check out the RCBS partner press. The footprint is about the same and its twice the press as the Lee C frame. I have both, I use them for ancillary duties. I originally purchased the Lee for just a powder stand and it would also work good for pulling bullets, or with a little mod for decapping. I got the RCBS in a package deal on some used equipment for $20.00 and its a really nice little press, built way better and much stronger than the Lee. The RCBS press would be more suitable for heavier use and would give way more mileage on wear and tear. But, with just a little more bench space you could also use a Lee Cassic Cast turret that is a most excellent press and you would never regret getting it. Now, I don't bash any equipment and just relate my experience with things I actually have and use. For presses I have a Lyman Crusher that I've used for around 30 years and it's an indestructible beast, the Lee C frame, Lee turret, Lee Loadmaster, and RCBS partner press. I have the Loadmaster set up specifically for 9mm and it works great, I use the Crusher for decapping and sizing rifle cases, I use the RCBS for my bullet puller, and I use the Lee turret for loading all other pistol and rifle ammo. The Lee c frame is sitting on a shelf and I haven't used it since getting the RCBS. It's not that I wouldn't use the C frame for something, I just don't have room on the bench for it anymore.
Old August 14, 2017, 08:30 AM   #39
Joe-ker

I picked one of those( the lee in the op) from midway a few months ago because it was on sale- like $25 I think. As others mentioned it's fine for decapping-that's all I'll ever use it for. I won't recommend it for much else- save your money for a better one- shop around for a used one if u must.

I do like that the decapped primers are collected in the base(well most of them). I drilled a hole through my bench and mounted a jar lid there. Just unscrew jar and dump when full. Beats the heck out of decapping on my rock chucker ss with that silly tray.
Old August 14, 2017, 10:03 AM   #40
kmw1954

I have also seen videos from bullet casters were they turn and mount the press upside down and use it with Lee Pass Thru bullet sizers. Works very quickly that way and the sized bullets just drop into a bucket.
Old August 14, 2017, 10:15 AM   #41
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
I said this before, but since I'm going to buy one in the future for charging cases on a turret press, I may as well buy one now and work the kinks out of it so I know how to use it when the time comes to get the turret press.

t.
With the Pro Autodisk and Autodrum measures, there really isn't much in the way of "kinks to work out". Pretty easy to set up and use.

Other aspects of the "Lee progressive experience" are going to give you fits, but the powder measure isn't (IMHO) going to be a problem.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 14, 2017, 11:44 AM   #42
44 AMP
Staff

what's my opinion of ...???

Thumbs down, for me. I wouldn't buy it.

the main reason it has no appeal for me is that compared to what I have, and have been using for the last 40 years +, that Lee press seems to be cheap cast aluminum crap.

I'm not a "Lee hater", I do really like, and would recommend some of their product line, particularly their hand tools. BUT, I dislike many of the features of their presses, and dies, & etc.

might be fine for light duty such as you mention I don't know. What I do know is that its not something I want, or need, and for me, would be nothing but a waste of money.
Old August 14, 2017, 12:51 PM   #43
jmorris

Quote:
I have also seen videos from bullet casters were they turn and mount the press upside down and use it with Lee Pass Thru bullet sizers. Works very quickly that way and the sized bullets just drop into a bucket.
That was actually the reason I bought my first Lee challenger.

This is it when I first had it running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zbImsdkbg

And one with the collator and flipper setup to feed it bullets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cc1hUj343w
Old August 14, 2017, 03:08 PM   #44
F. Guffey

I have one of those presses, I have had it for years and years but I believe I have the expensive one. My Lee does not have the cheap looking wood knob, my Lee (that looks like that) has the large white plastic knob.

I have never used my Little Lee, I looked at all that aluminum and then figured if something broke they would blame me. And then there are all of those Lee dies I got down in Louisiana. I asked all of those Cajun reloaders why they were giving them away; it has something to do with rust, they claimed the dies rusting at night keep them awake, and I wondered about all those Chevrolet trucks.

F. Guffey
Old August 14, 2017, 03:15 PM   #45
Stats Shooter

Quote:
I have never used my Little Lee, I looked at all that aluminum and then figured if something broke they would blame me. And then there are all of those Lee dies I got down in Louisiana. I asked all of those Cajun reloaders why they were giving them away; it has something to do with rust, they claimed the dies rusting at night keep them awake, and I wondered about all those Chevrolet trucks
Mississippi obviously has a similar climate to Louisiana. Anyway, stuff down here seems to rust more often/easily than Nebraska where I am originally from. Bolt knobs on rifles, dies, metal handles, shovels, tools etc. Part of it is the fact that with higher humidity, and temps, there is more sweat and oils on your hands and body where the salts cause rapid rusting. Then, the humid environment speeds up the rusting as well.

It is all preventable though, but it makes wiping down your dies, equipment, firearms etc all the more important. Especially if the surface is bare metal. I shot a .22 rimfire match a few weeks back, it was hot and sticky. I didn't get around to wiping the gun down until the following day. By then, a little bit of surface rust had begun to accumulate on the bolt knob. It wiped right off but that is just how fast it begins.
As far as the cars go, the humidity doesn't help matters if you have scratches on the finish, but at least they don't have to salt the roads.

I have some lee dies, lee factory crimp, neck sizer and others. There isn't any rust on mine (that I know of)
Old August 14, 2017, 03:48 PM   #46
TailGator

Quote:
I also have to think about just buying the Lee stand and the turret press I really want.
The Lee Classic Turret is a more versatile press, if you can make room for it. You may be surprised at how small its footprint is. If you go in that direction, you might want to check out Kempfgunshop.com. They put together their own kit that includes a set of dies, but leaves out the Lee scale. That is a good way to get started in reloading.
Old August 14, 2017, 04:01 PM   #47
roashooter

Am I the only one who sees a problem with using a lee progressive press and can be the same issues on even expensive presses?

I wonder how many of you spot the issue...
Old August 14, 2017, 05:43 PM   #48
BigJimP

Couple of points...portability...on a press. For many years, when I was younger - moving a lot and lived in apartments, I mounted my presses ( for metallic and shotshells ) ..to a 2" X 18" plank / and then either bolted it down or clamped it down to a portable "workmate bench" sold by black and decker.

I weighted the portable bench down with some cinder blocks for extra stability.

The workmate bench folds up ...gets put in a closet / the press permanently mounted to the 2 X 18" plank gets covered with an old pillow case and put on a shelf.

I've reloaded for well over 50 yrs...and the Lee equipment just does not hold up. Its too light / flexes too much etc.. If you really want to go to a single stage press...there are all kinds of used RCBS Rockchucker presses around...gun shows, etc...and they are cheap. The last one I had - I couldn't even give it away ..( gun show in my area last weekend...and I saw at least a dozen of them ).

There is a reason presses from RCBS, Hornaday and Dillon hold their value long term / invest in one, take care of it - clean it up if you find a used one --
sell it for what you paid for it, or more, and move on to something better down the road.

I've long since given up single stage presses ...for progressive machines...but today I also have a dedicated workspace in my shop for reloading, gun smithing, etc.../ but I would never recommend anyone spend their hard earned money on anything made by Lee...in my experience, you will just not be happy with it - and it will just aggravate the daylights out of you.
Old August 15, 2017, 08:51 AM   #49
jmorris

Quote:
Am I the only one who sees a problem with using a lee progressive press and can be the same issues on even expensive presses?

I wonder how many of you spot the issue...
Not that that is the topic of this thread but you have my attention. What is the problem you are speculating?
Old August 15, 2017, 12:26 PM   #50
mikld

After reading a bunch of the posts and trying to really figger out what the OP wants, I'd say get a Lee turret and remove the auto index feature. (I got a lee turret 17 years ago and disabled the auto index 16.99 years ago. Hand indexing works quite well). Use it as a single stage and hand index. If the OP is looking to mount a powder measure on the press "in the future" why not just mount one on a turret and use it as such? K.I.S.S.!!!
Closed Thread