The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 5, 2022, 04:25 PM   #1
Smoke & Recoil

Do I buy .22 ammo or primers ?

Just received an (in stock) notice for .22 LR ammo...wow, the price for a 500
round brick, getting comparable to the price 1000 primers now. I miss the days
of $12.00 for a box of 500 .22 ammo.

Last edited by Smoke & Recoil; May 5, 2022 at 04:26 PM. Reason: goofed
Old May 5, 2022, 04:36 PM   #2
AzShooter

Bricks of .22s are still a lot less than a brick of primers. I've seen CCI Mini Mags for $60 a brick while primers are running over $100.

Not a lot of difference but I can still shoot a lot more practice and matches with my .22.
Old June 3, 2022, 11:01 AM   #3
Mannlicher

shop around. Both primers and .22 can be found for less. I recently picked up 2 bricks of SR primers for right at $100. Found over 6K rounds of .22 at an estate sale for less than .04 each

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old June 3, 2022, 12:29 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

I miss the days when Bi-Mart would send me a coupon for Either Remingtion Yellow Jacket or Golden Bullet for less than $8 a brick, limit 2.....

I miss being able to do what the younger me could do back then, even more..

.22 ammo only works in .22 guns, and nothing else works in .22 guns.

Primers work in every reloadable round that uses the size/type of primers you have, so while primers are "more versatile" in that sense, they don't work in .22 guns, and therefore, its not an apples to apples comparison.

which one to buy at a given time depends on which one you need most, at that time...or in the foreseeable future...
Old June 3, 2022, 08:05 PM   #5
Joe-ker

Heck I remember bricks for under 10$. Why oh why didn’t I buy more. Even the 35$ ones I bought awhile back I wish I’d bought more.
Old June 4, 2022, 03:55 PM   #6
Scorch

Back in the day, I got into racing cars. Mainly street cars doing road racing, bracket racing or grudge racing. I could build a pretty good engine, I knew how to get the most out of the cars I worked on. One day I was talking to a guy who owned a racing team for GT sprint cars, I was complaining about the price of good parts. He looked at me and said "If you can't afford the price of the game, what are you doing trying to play it?" I remember that. Now I see people on forums complaining about the prices of components, the prices of ammo, the prices of guns, the prices of of equipment, and I wonder the same thing. Seems like there are a lot of complainers lately. If you're so broke you can't pay the price for the basics, find a different hobby. Bike riding is good for your health. Fishing is relaxing. Gardening will feed you and lower your grocery bill. Just saying.
Old June 4, 2022, 08:52 PM   #7
5whiskey

Quote:
Back in the day, I got into racing cars. Mainly street cars doing road racing, bracket racing or grudge racing. I could build a pretty good engine, I knew how to get the most out of the cars I worked on. One day I was talking to a guy who owned a racing team for GT sprint cars, I was complaining about the price of good parts. He looked at me and said "If you can't afford the price of the game, what are you doing trying to play it?" I remember that. Now I see people on forums complaining about the prices of components, the prices of ammo, the prices of guns, the prices of of equipment, and I wonder the same thing. Seems like there are a lot of complainers lately. If you're so broke you can't pay the price for the basics, find a different hobby. Bike riding is good for your health. Fishing is relaxing. Gardening will feed you and lower your grocery bill. Just saying.
Well there is some unpacking to do here. Traditionally, firearms and the shooting sports have been at least somewhat affordable virtually all of my adult life. Even is 2009, and in 2012 after the Sandy Hook tragedy, things began to settle to where you could buy at least SOME ammo and components within a year to 18 months. At 18 months in there was a light at the end of the tunnel. We are at 18 months in right now and I see no light for primer or powder availability. If you shoot 9mm or .223 you can find ammo, though at increased expense. .22lr is obtainable but expensive.

Going back to the street rod cars, that has always been a game for men with disposable income. Maybe in the 80's and 90's you could find abandoned cars with salvageable hemis out in a field somewhere, but parts still weren't cheap. You could buy a lot of ammo for the price you could rebuild even a common motor back in the day.

On top of it all, building street rods isn't a constitutional right. Firearms are, and we should have a sincere desire to see that right afforded to the masses.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old June 5, 2022, 04:31 PM   #8
FITASC

The right is afforded to the masses. I have boxes of hunting shotgun ammo I bought back in the 80s and 90s; those prices were over $10/box; adjusting for inflation, that $10 box from 1990 would be $29.20 and not the $16 I see on the shelf.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 5, 2022, 07:05 PM   #9
sfwusc

I am buying ammo in 9mm and .223 vs using primers. Those primers are going to be needed for uncommon rounds.
Old June 5, 2022, 07:07 PM   #10
sfwusc

Also for the price difference — I would buy CCI .22lr over bulk. It is like a cent or two difference a round.

My thoughts for what it is worth.
Old June 5, 2022, 07:08 PM   #11
sfwusc

Also for the price difference — I would buy CCI .22lr over bulk. It is like a cent or two difference a round.

My thoughts for what it is worth.
Old June 6, 2022, 12:13 PM   #12
ghbucky

I'd like to know where people are finding an option to even buy primers? Every place I check pistol and small rifle primers are not available.

powder valley
brownells
cabels

all show out of stock.
Old June 6, 2022, 12:43 PM   #13
seanc

I bought both SPP and SRP made by Murom. I found a few good reviews and took a chance on them and they work well in both sizes for me. I got them from these guys, who I made an earlier ammo purchase from since I hadn't ever heard of them before:
https://cheapest-ammo.com/index.php

As far as 22lr, I've stocked up on Aquila high velocity. They shoot better out of my AR-15/CMMG .22 conversion than CCI mini mags and other brands, so I've stocked up at around $43/brick at
Old June 6, 2022, 08:28 PM   #14
Shadow9mm

Both. I try and keep a 3yr supply of ammo on hand. set some money aside for primers so you can buy them when you can find them at a reasonable price. until them buy 22s until you have a couple years supply so you can keep shooting if there is a run on them.
Old June 7, 2022, 03:23 PM   #15
sfwusc

Armslist and MeWe are good places for primers. $100-125 a brick though.

Set notify up for primers and move fast.

The limit of 2 bricks with haz mat And shipping make them $100-125 each though.
Old June 7, 2022, 03:25 PM   #16
tdrizzle

Lucky Gunner often has some. Ammoseek lists availability by price, for ammo, that is.
Old June 9, 2022, 07:46 AM   #17
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke & Recoil View Post
Just received an (in stock) notice for .22 LR ammo...wow, the price for a 500
round brick, getting comparable to the price 1000 primers now. I miss the days
of $12.00 for a box of 500 .22 ammo.
Way it looks now, buy both and skip buying food.