The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 24, 2017, 07:46 AM   #1
MisterYuck

New scope, rings and base for .30-06...

Just ordered and received a new Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5-14x40 riflescope, Warne maxima 201m rings and a Warne M685M tactical steel one piece scope base for my Ruger American in .30-06. A couple of questions:

1) What is the likelihood that I will need to lap the rings?

2) What is the likelihood that I will need to bed the scope base?

I am replacing the factory two piece aluminum scope base with a steel one piece in hopes that everything will be more stable. Are there and potential pitfalls that I need to look out for? Should I use blue loctite on the threads for the scope base and rings, or just the base? Has anyone had any experience with these Warne products?

Thanks...
Old February 24, 2017, 10:42 AM   #2
shootbrownelk

Yes, do use blue Loctite on the scope base threads after you clean the threads with alcohol or similar product. You shouldn't have to do a thing to the bases or rings. Warne products are some of the best out there. Just mount your new scope, don't overthink it.
Old February 24, 2017, 06:15 PM   #3
jmr40

The bases that come on the rifle are just fine.

I've been mounting scopes for over 40 years, never had to lap or shim any of them.

Winston Churchill
Old February 24, 2017, 09:43 PM   #4
Blindstitch

Every time I remove shims I wonder if the person knew what they were doing. I'm sure some do. One set I remember was for an sks. It had two piece mounts left and right and there were shims holding the rings to the rail. Although they were holding the rail the front of the scope was entirely unsupported.

Removed everything and reassembled with the same pieces and everything went fine without shims.

Another time I had a scope that wouldn't hold zero. Turned out the rear mount screw holes weren't deep enough and the rear wasn't really supported.
Old February 24, 2017, 09:56 PM   #5
lefteye

Remember: BLUE Loctite!!! Please don't ask me why?
Old February 24, 2017, 10:06 PM   #6
Bear2

Bases

OK, I won't ask.
Old February 24, 2017, 10:47 PM   #7
MisterYuck

Thanks guys for all the input. I got the old base off today. It wasn't easy to get the screws out. The Warne 25 inch pounds T handle T15 torque wrench came in today. I am eagerly awaiting the rings and base. I will let you know how it goes.
Old February 25, 2017, 08:19 AM   #8
Mobuck

I get adequate service from the lower cost (not el-cheapo) rings/bases from Weaver,etc and so far have not found a need for the high $$ stuff.
Old February 25, 2017, 12:28 PM   #9
MisterYuck

Mobuck,

What line of Weaver rings do you get good service from? I have a set of Grand Slam rings currently. They seem to be really well made.
I did not buy the most expensive set of rings that Warne sells. Their "Tactical" rings are over $100 per set. The set I bought was around $30. I don't mind paying extra for quality, but I don't want to over pay either.
Old February 25, 2017, 01:28 PM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

While they aren't the prettiest rings in existence, I've used the Weaver brand since 1950. Never used Loctite. Never used shims. Once in a blue moon the retaining knobs would somehow loosen a bit, but I always figured that it was my fault.

All in all, the Weaver stuff works quite well. Some 4,000 rounds through my favorite '06, with zero problems.
Old February 28, 2017, 08:34 PM   #11
MisterYuck

Okay,

The rings came in today Warne 201M.
The one piece steel scope base came yesterday.
I am going to dry the oil out of the scope base screw hole with acetone or alcohol. Then I am going to blue loc-tite the 4 T15 screws and torq them down with the 25 inch pounds torq wrench I got. Should I also blue loctite the scope ring screws?

Thanks.
Old February 28, 2017, 09:23 PM   #12
Blindstitch

I always locktite the rings but others will probably say it isn't needed. If you have it then use it.