The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 21, 2009, 08:23 PM   #26
Dodge DeBoulet

I am VERY happy to say that the final issue with my LNL AP appears to be resolved!

Replacing the decapping pin and making sure it's properly tightened allowed me to burn through 75 rounds in about 10 minutes. No lockups, no primer misfeeds, no spilled powder, nothing but nice, neat cartridges piling up in the little red collector tray. Boy do things go fast once you're in the groove and not constantly "jiggling the handle."

I love this press, and more importantly, it now appears to love me back!
Old December 21, 2009, 09:08 PM   #27
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Well Floydster, I am a few years behind you on reloading, having started in the 60s, but I really think this is a "learning curve" thing rather then a bad piece of equipment.

I read before getting my LNL that the instructions left a bit to be desired, and I think I would agree.

The printed instructions are someplace Hornady could put put in a bit more effort.

The DVD shipped with my LNL is good, but it sure isn't like a good set of printed instructions.

I fell the Hornady phone techs are most helpful, at least that is my experience.

So hang in there, fight your way up the learning curve and master your LNL.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol Coot
Old December 21, 2009, 11:54 PM   #28
Rod38um

Dodge I feel the same way about mine. I love it! Its an awesome piece of machinery!
Old December 22, 2009, 08:54 AM   #29
FlyFish

Quote:
I am VERY happy to say that the final issue with my LNL AP appears to be resolved!

Replacing the decapping pin and making sure it's properly tightened allowed me to burn through 75 rounds in about 10 minutes. No lockups, no primer misfeeds, no spilled powder, nothing but nice, neat cartridges piling up in the little red collector tray. Boy do things go fast once you're in the groove and not constantly "jiggling the handle."
In the immortal words of Lili Von Shtupp, the Teutonic Titwillow, "Oh, it's twue. It's twue!" A little polishing of the decapping pin, then reinstalling it and making sure it was both tightened and centered, solved my problem as well. No adjustment of the pawl(s) necessary.
Old December 22, 2009, 02:08 PM   #30
floydster

Crusty Deary, Ida he Ida ho.
I won't let the LNL get the best of me, it's the priming system that is the major problem. After many calls to Hornady and new parts it still hangs up,
but I took the Dremmel after the second primer slider, now we'll see what happens, I couldn't run a batch of 100 rounds without at least two hangups, and of course that screws everything up.

I still lke my Lee Cast four hole turret press, I wouldn't be without it.

Floydster
Old December 22, 2009, 02:30 PM   #31
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Floydster,

Glad your go'in ta hang in there.

It is really great that we have such a selection of "stuff".

I have a really bad taste about Lee in general and use few and then selectively of their products, while you use and like them.

Cool, and after the shake down it can make all of us happy and good companies in business.

And here I am, a 66 year old, Ol Coot climbing the learning curve on this new fangled LNL. Things sure happen fast and all at once!!

Need some 4 year olds to help me, but they are busy helping me with the "pooter."

Ya all have a very blessed CHRISTmas, remembering the reason for the season.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol Coot
Old December 22, 2009, 06:23 PM   #32
Whisper 300

Perhaps I can add my experiences with the LnL re:the primer situation and locking up-
I have many, many thousands or rounds thru mine and have found that crud will build up in the cup that seats the new primer.
I simply unscrew it from the frame and hit it with a little brake cleaner and re-install.
Good to go.

Other than that and the initial set up of the whole primer assy. there have been few if any problems.

Just another thing to perhaps check on.

Gary
Old December 22, 2009, 07:45 PM   #33
Crashbox

Yeah, these LNL machines may be a bit finicky but I'm sure happy with mine now that I got the bugs worked out. Admittedly, a progressive can be a tad intimidating for a noob to reloading like me but it's great once you get the hang of it! Gotta love having room for a Powder Cop, too!!!