The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 20, 2016, 08:03 AM   #26
Mobuck

As I've grown older, I've come to feel differently about killing. In younger years, the amount of game in the bag was important. In later years HOW the game was "reduced to possession"(as the bunny cop rule book describes it)has become a factor.
I fed my family for years with the game I killed(and still do). Livestock had a monetary value which was needed to pay bills while wild game was simply a food source. Yeah, I enjoyed the hunt for the most part but enjoyment wains when you have a "shopping list" of meat to fill.
I watch some of the "reality shows" from Alaska and even though the show is dramatized/contrived, the underlying feeling is that game is a "food source" first and a renewable resource several steps down the ladder.
Sport hunters most likely haven't felt this side of hunting, considering many feel the meat is a small part of the harvest. Sure, you eat some but you're not concerned about going hungry if you don't kill something.
Old September 20, 2016, 09:54 AM   #27
Longshot4

Sure you should respect them.
Don't shoot them in the gut or cripple them.
A clean kill is giving them respect.
If you don't eat them then make sure you give them to some one that will appreciate the meet and eat it.
Never allow the meet to spoil.

Then there are those that don't want you to hunt.
It's a free Country if they don't want to hunt ok. Although they have no business telling you that you shouldn't hunt.

Don't take them hunting and don't give them any meet and leave it at that.
Old November 17, 2016, 03:51 PM   #28
Iwanttoshootbettter

Game is food.

God put them here to eat that is respecting them.
Old November 17, 2016, 09:00 PM   #29
603Country

I've read what you guys are saying about respecting game animals. I've asked myself if respect is what I feel for squirrels, ducks, rabbits, dove, pigs and deer that I hunt, shoot and eat. And, no, it isn't. It just isn't. I appreciate that I can hunt them. And I don't respect carrots either. Or broccoli.

I've deer hunted for over 50 years and shot hundreds of them. I love the thrill of the hunt and I love the meat. I respect my doctor and dentist, my stockbroker, and the folks I used to work with. But respect isn't what I feel for game animals. And I don't "harvest" them. I kill them and we eat them. Respecting them and harvesting them is too millennial and smacks of PC speak.

I appreciate the opportunity to hunt them.

And no way am I saying that you guys are wrong in the way you feel respect. But personally, I just can't get there. I'm a meat hunter.
Old November 26, 2016, 11:30 PM   #30
HiBC

Having respect for the game is an extension of having respect for yourself.
Don't do things that make you feel ashamed.Don't do things you feel a need to lie about.Don't do things you don't want to get caught doing.
The foundation of that concept is who you see when you look in the mirror.
Those ashamed of who they are do not know how to be ashamed of what they do.

When we pass on tradition of hunting or fishing,teach those key elements to the young hunters.
Make it an Honor to be included.Impose standards.And then live up to them yourself.

A pretty good model can be found in Robert Ruark's book "The Old Man and the Boy"

How we treat the game matters.Perhaps most important is what we pass on .

Those lessons are applied throughout life. The Code.

The game gives up life. The meat? Its soon gone. Your conscience will last your lifetime.Your son or daughter will learn things,experience things that last generations.
As Ruark wrote,the quail is a gentleman's bird. He'll not shoot a covey down too much.He'll plant some peas..,gourds.Leave some cover.And listen to the Bob-White whistle as he smokes his pipe and sips some bourbon on the porch in the evening.
Old November 27, 2016, 10:26 AM   #31
gunrunner1

I can respect an animals intelligence, it's physical abilities and, in some cases, it's ability to cause a great deal of injury. Other than that, I really don't have any feelings for them. I try to kill them as quickly and as cleanly as possible. But, sometimes it doesn't work out that way and I have to track them, or shoot them one or two more times. Every now and then, I lose one. Those things happen and I don't lose any sleep over it.